BSDDB mismatch

David
I've installed Gramps on both my linux workstation and my Windows laptop
using the latest version from the website.

The windows version is 5.0.1-1 and uses  bsddb version 6.1.0 (6.0.30)
while linux is slightly older 5.0.1 and use bsddb 6.1.0 (5, 3, 28) which
makes linux not able to open the newer database...

How can I match the Gramps versions between my two machines?

Thanks,

David

Re: BSDDB mismatch

Philip Weiss
You really don't want to share a bsddb database between two machines.  The way to move your information back and forth is to back up or export the database to a .gramps file, then import it to the other machine.

I don't know if a SQLite DB can be shared.  It's not something I would try, but smarter folks on the list may have better information than I.  I believe there's an experimental Postgres back end.  That may be the way to go if you can set up a Postgres DB that's accessible to both, but there may be locking issues even then.

Phil.

On Jan 14 2019, at 12:15 am, David <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've installed Gramps on both my linux workstation and my Windows laptop
using the latest version from the website.

The windows version is 5.0.1-1 and uses  bsddb version 6.1.0 (6.0.30)
while linux is slightly older 5.0.1 and use bsddb 6.1.0 (5, 3, 28) which
makes linux not able to open the newer database...

How can I match the Gramps versions between my two machines?

Thanks,

David

Re: BSDDB mismatch

David

Thank you Sam.

Converting to Sqlite did work well.

Syncing between the two databases is seamless. Syncing my Gramps project folder between machines with Syncthing, but others, like Dropbox, should work as well.

As the database is locked when used by one of the machines there should be no data mismatch errors.

@Philip Weiss. Thank you, but yes, I really do want to share databases. ;) I've done this for years with several other software databases without issues. It's my data that's important, the machines are just tools where I shouldn't have to be tied up to a specific one just because the data happens to be created there.

But you're right about Bsddb, it seems ill suited for this.

Regards,

David Rylander, Sweden.

On 2019-01-14 09:42, Sam Manzi wrote:
[Warning: Before trying this Backup your Family trees ( https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_make_a_backup ) ]

As mentioned you can try the Sqlite database backend, as the SQLite file format is portable between Operating Systems and version of Sqlite, it should be good for daily usage from Gramps version 5.0.1 (using it myself).

To use it change the "Database backend: " setting to Sqlite3

Open the "Family Tree (Manager" and if your family tree is opened select the Close button.
Then highlight the Family tree (BSDDB) and press the "Convert" Button and confirm that you want to convert from the next dialog

Then I suggest you select and backup the newly convert Family Tree before using.

Any issues please let the Gramps project know on the Bug tracker

Kind Regards
Sam

Further information:

On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 at 19:24, Philip Weiss <[hidden email]> wrote:
<snip>
I don't know if a SQLite DB can be shared.  It's not something I would try, but smarter folks on the list may have better information than I.  I believe there's an experimental Postgres back end.  That may be the way to go if you can set up a Postgres DB that's accessible to both, but there may be locking issues even then.

Re: BSDDB mismatch

lesc
I recently installed Gramps 5.01 with the BSDDB database. No problems with
the databases (desktop Mint 19.2 and laptop Manjaro 18.0.4) until I shutdown
Gramps and Syncthing. The next day I attempted to load Gramps on both
computers and I had a BSDDB mismatch! Good thing I had a backup. I imported
the backup and Syncthing did its job. I searched for an answer to why this
happened and came across this message. I have since switched to Sqlite on
both computers. I will monitor both computers closely. The Gramps database
should be fine now.

Re: BSDDB mismatch

Ron Johnson
On 8/11/19 2:48 PM, lesc wrote:
> I recently installed Gramps 5.01 with the BSDDB database. No problems with
> the databases (desktop Mint 19.2 and laptop Manjaro 18.0.4) until I shutdown
> Gramps and Syncthing. The next day I attempted to load Gramps on both
> computers and I had a BSDDB mismatch! Good thing I had a backup. I imported
> the backup and Syncthing did its job. I searched for an answer to why this
> happened and came across this message. I have since switched to Sqlite on
> both computers. I will monitor both computers closely. The Gramps database
> should be fine now.

You won't have this problem with SQLite.  (That's one of the reasons for the
switch away from BSDDB.)

Re: BSDDB mismatch

lesc
Ron, I monitored both databases for a couple of days and no more problems.
Syncthing is a useful tool for me since I take my laptop with me when doing
my research away from home.

-Les-