Backup of GRAMPS 3.0.4-1

Vitali Samurov
Hello,
I've installed GRAMPS 3.0.4-1 to the brand new Ubuntu 8.10, created a
database and imported data from old GRAMPS.

And just for clarification: what's a correct way to backup the whole
database? As I understood, unlike in old GRAMPS, the whole databases
(family tree) are located in  ./gramps.  Is it enough to backup this
directory (and all folders with images etc.) ?

Br,
Vitali

Re: Backup of GRAMPS 3.0.4-1

Stéphane Charette-2
> And just for clarification: what's a correct way to backup the whole
> database?

http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=How_to_make_a_backup

Stéphane

Re: Backup of GRAMPS 3.0.4-1

Vitali Samurov
Hi,
thanks for the hint!
But still I want to know more :)

The recommended backup method with media files for GRAMPS 3.x is:
Family Trees -> Export -> "GRAMPS package (portable XML)" -> "Entire Database".

Assuming that I have image files in /Home/Desktop/GRAMPS/media_files
I'm doing export into the portable XML, moving that file to another PC and doing import.

Where all media files will appear on the new PC?

Br,
Vitali

Stéphane Charette wrote:
And just for clarification: what's a correct way to backup the whole
database?

http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=How_to_make_a_backup

Stéphane

Re: Backup of GRAMPS 3.0.4-1

Stéphane Charette-2
> The recommended backup method with media files for GRAMPS 3.x is:
>
> Family Trees -> Export -> "GRAMPS package (portable XML)" -> "Entire
> Database".
>
> Assuming that I have image files in /Home/Desktop/GRAMPS/media_files
> I'm doing export into the portable XML, moving that file to another PC and
> doing import.
>
> Where all media files will appear on the new PC?

They will be extracted from the package and placed into a
newly-created temporary directory off the home directory.

The media base path will then be set to that directory.

Once the import is done, you are then free to move them to another
path, and the Media Manager tool combined with the media base path can
be used to ensure GRAMPS knows exactly where the images are stored.

Séphane

Re: Backup of GRAMPS 3.0.4-1

Doug-11
Stéphane Charette wrote:

>> The recommended backup method with media files for GRAMPS 3.x is:
>>
>> Family Trees -> Export -> "GRAMPS package (portable XML)" -> "Entire
>> Database".
>>
>> Assuming that I have image files in /Home/Desktop/GRAMPS/media_files
>> I'm doing export into the portable XML, moving that file to another PC and
>> doing import.
>>
>> Where all media files will appear on the new PC?
>>

> They will be extracted from the package and placed into a
> newly-created temporary directory off the home directory.
>
> The media base path will then be set to that directory.
>
> Once the import is done, you are then free to move them to another
> path, and the Media Manager tool combined with the media base path can
> be used to ensure GRAMPS knows exactly where the images are stored.
>
> Séphane

Vitali, there have been quite a number of posts in the mailing list
about this.
I can't lay my hands quickly on them, but perhaps if you look in the
mailing list archive
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_name=gramps-users
you'll find them. AFAIR, the most recent stuff - which was about where
to put *photos* - set it all out in some detail

Doug