Backups

Louis Anderson

Hi Everyone.

I’m new to GRAMPS software and to the mailing list and am enjoying using it.

Please excuse my question as I am not a computer expert, but how can you check a backup to see that it has been correctly backed up.

I use a separate external hard drive to download (backup) all my photos, videos and documents. I can check if the backup has been successful by opening up the relevant files in the external drive.

But how do you check a GRAMPS backup on an external drive? When I try open the file in the external hard drive, it asks me which program to use to open the file. Do I need to download GRAMPS onto the external drive?

The only way that I have been able to check the backup is to download GRAMPS onto my wife’s computer then import the backup file and review the information to ensure it is correct.

Is there another way of checking the backup on my computer instead of having to load it onto another computer?

I also read that there was an option to backup automatically on exiting the program, but I cannot find the settings to be able to do this.

Thanks for any help and thanks for the software.

Louis

Re: Backups

Philip Weiss

On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 7:39 PM, Louis Anderson <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Don't open the file by double-clicking.  Open Gramps, select "Manage Family Trees" from the family trees menu. Create a new family tree and call it something like "Backup Test". Make sure you working in the new empty tress.  Then go to "Import" from the family trees menu, find and select the .gramps or .gpkg file that you created when you backed up. After verifying that everything loads and looks good, you can zap the contents of the tree and re-use it the next time you want to verify a backup.

Phil.

Re: Backups

Dave Scheipers
I second what Phil posted.

You can also use the "Manage Family Trees" to delete the database you
do not want. Be careful that you do not keep more than the one active
database. I've seen someone make mistakes and enter new information to
one database and then more info to the other and then try to get back
to just the one file.

and FYI, I have never had a 'bad' backup file. I make a backup several
times a session any time I walk away from the computer when 'life'
interferes and of course at the end of the session. I added the hour
to the file name and date for the backup in gramps.ini so I'll have
several backups I move to a flash drive at the end of the day. And
like you, I manually dump my media files to an external drive once a
week.

quick-backup-filename='%(filename)s
%(year)d-%(month)02d-%(day)02d-%(hour)02d.%(extension)s'

The automatic backup is built into the 5.0 beta version now being
tested. This version also changes the manual backup to default to
.gramps and to keep the option you used from your last backup.

Dave