Quantcast

Baptism - events and roles?

paul womack
Depending on period, baptisms can be quite a rich source of information.

Early ones (say pre 1750) typically only supply the given name of the child,
the full name of the father, possibly the given name of the wife. The location
of the baptism is implicit in the document (St Ethelberga's church etc), and if you're lucky
you'll get an occupation for the father.

After about 1820 you might get an "Abode" for the family.

If you're really lucky, sometime you get the wife's maiden name, and/or
the child's birth date.

I am happy on how to represent all this, bar one. "Clearly"  (see recent discussions)
the Baptism scan is the shared Citation for all the events. At most we have:

* Baptism event for the child, with date and location
* Name (and relationship to child) of Father
* Name (and relationship to child) of Mother
* (one might use the Baptism as supporting evidence of a mother/father marriage)
* Residence (with location and date) of all 3 parties
* Occupation with date of Father

That all seems straightforward.

But, given that the Mother and Father clearly attended the Baptism
itself, they should (equally clearly) share the Baptism event.

Can anyone suggest a suitable role, either standard or custom?

  BugBear

Re: Baptism - events and roles?

Nick Hall
On 14/02/17 09:42, paul womack wrote:
> Can anyone suggest a suitable role, either standard or custom?

The Form gramplet uses the roles "Father" and "Mother".

Re: Baptism - events and roles?

Brad Rogers
On Tue, 14 Feb 2017 09:42:05 +0000
paul womack <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello paul,

>Can anyone suggest a suitable role, either standard or custom?

As Nick says, the Forms Gramplet deals with it nicely.  The assumption
of most roles (Witness or Attendee for example) is that both parents
attended the baptism.  In some instances that may not be the case.  I
tend to stick with what is known - i.e. the person was baptised on
'date' in 'place', they reside at 'abode' and, where stated, father's
'occupation'.

--
 Regards  _
Just stop and take a second