Batch editing of Event Descriptions

Doug-11
I'm trying to process a mass of data collected from IGI with many
entries obvious duplicates of others.

Merging produces scores of individuals with multiple birth or marriage
events and the event descriptions don't correspond with the persons any
longer.

I'd like to delete all  event descriptions and re-run Tools=>Database
Processing=>Extract Event Descriptions from Event Data to get the
descriptions updated.

Is there any way to delete all Event Descriptions as a batch instead of
one by one?

Doug

Re: Batch editing of Event Descriptions

Gerald Britton-2
Easiest is to export to xml, decompress and edit the xml, recompress
and reimport the new xml.

On 1/24/09, Doug <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm trying to process a mass of data collected from IGI with many
> entries obvious duplicates of others.
>
> Merging produces scores of individuals with multiple birth or marriage
> events and the event descriptions don't correspond with the persons any
> longer.
>
> I'd like to delete all  event descriptions and re-run Tools=>Database
> Processing=>Extract Event Descriptions from Event Data to get the
> descriptions updated.
>
> Is there any way to delete all Event Descriptions as a batch instead of
> one by one?
>
> Doug

Sent from my mobile device

Re: Batch editing of Event Descriptions

Doug-11
Thanks.
As an offshoot of this topic, there are other occasions when it would be
very useful to be able to carry out batch editing in gramps on certain
parts of the database.
I'm thinking of something similar to Media Manager in
"Tools=>Utilities=>Media Manager=>replace substrings in the path",
allowing one to edit event descriptions, as an example.
Would it be unreasonable to request this as a feature?

Doug

Gerald Britton wrote:

> Easiest is to export to xml, decompress and edit the xml, recompress
> and reimport the new xml.
>
> On 1/24/09, Doug <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to process a mass of data collected from IGI with many
>> entries obvious duplicates of others.
>>
>> Merging produces scores of individuals with multiple birth or marriage
>> events and the event descriptions don't correspond with the persons any
>> longer.
>>
>> I'd like to delete all  event descriptions and re-run Tools=>Database
>> Processing=>Extract Event Descriptions from Event Data to get the
>> descriptions updated.
>>
>> Is there any way to delete all Event Descriptions as a batch instead of
>> one by one?
>>
>> Doug

Re: Batch editing of Event Descriptions

DS Blank

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 11:59 AM, Doug <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks.
As an offshoot of this topic, there are other occasions when it would be
very useful to be able to carry out batch editing in gramps on certain
parts of the database.
I'm thinking of something similar to Media Manager in
"Tools=>Utilities=>Media Manager=>replace substrings in the path",
allowing one to edit event descriptions, as an example.
Would it be unreasonable to request this as a feature?

Doug

Reasonableness was never a prerequisite for Feature Requests :) Seriously though, Feature Requests sometimes request things that are impossible or crazy, but a developer might see how to solve the problem through another means.

There is a precedent in the current code for the idea: the Spreadsheet Import./Export can be used to do batch updates, but only on a limited set of data. Perhaps the right solution is a better merge facility. See:

http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=GEPS_009:_Import_Export_Merge

and

http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_3.0_Wiki_Manual_-_Manage_Family_Trees:_CSV_Import_and_Export

Doug Blank wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 11:59 AM, Doug <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Thanks.
>     As an offshoot of this topic, there are other occasions when it
>     would be
>     very useful to be able to carry out batch editing in gramps on certain
>     parts of the database.
>     I'm thinking of something similar to Media Manager in
>     "Tools=>Utilities=>Media Manager=>replace substrings in the path",
>     allowing one to edit event descriptions, as an example.
>     Would it be unreasonable to request this as a feature?
>
>     Doug
>

> Reasonableness was never a prerequisite for Feature Requests :)
> Seriously though, Feature Requests sometimes request things that are
> impossible or crazy, but a developer might see how to solve the
> problem through another means.
>
> There is a precedent in the current code for the idea: the Spreadsheet
> Import./Export can be used to do batch updates, but only on a limited
> set of data. Perhaps the right solution is a better merge facility. See:
>
> http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=GEPS_009:_Import_Export_Merge
>
> and
>
> http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_3.0_Wiki_Manual_-_Manage_Family_Trees:_CSV_Import_and_Export
>
> -Doug

Thanks.
If I've understood the references correctly they only partly address the
topic; and if reasonableness isn't obligatory I suppose nothing's lost
by submitting a feature request. ;-)

I'll do that.

Doug