Beginners question about Married Name and Birth Name

Beginners question about Married Name and Birth Name

Marek Stepanek

Hello all!

My first question here! It seems to me, that this question is very
fundamental, but I already entered 25 family members and I am stuck with
this problem:

How do I enter a girl and later a spouse changing her name? First "Birth
Name", then the "Married Name". When I enter first the person with her
maiden name and later with her Married Name the first one is vanishing.
Do I have to enter perhaps two identities for the maiden and married
name and make a sort of "merge" of the two IDs?

Please help! I read the FAQ I watched many YouTubes, but cann't find the
answer. Sorry for this question and thank you in advance!

marek

Re: Beginners question about Married Name and Birth Name

Ron Johnson
It is correct that you shouldn't enter the the Married Name if you already
know the Birth Name.  The Married Name is assumed.

If during the marriage the woman decides to take a hyphenated name, or its a
Spanish name that concatenates both family names, then you can indicate that
in the Names tab of the Person edit window.

--
"I compare what the data tells me.  I don't do things by votes or authority."
Lawrence Krauss

Re: Beginners question about Married Name and Birth Name

rcarlson
> How do I enter a girl and later a spouse changing her name? First "Birth
> Name", then the "Married Name". When I enter first the person with her
> maiden name and later with her Married Name the first one is vanishing.
> Do I have to enter perhaps two identities for the maiden and married
> name and make a sort of "merge" of the two IDs?
Hi Marek,

In Gramps 4.2.3, double click the person in the people view. This usually displays the person's their birth name. at the top of the screen and their events in the bottom of the screen.

Click on the names tab instead of events. This displays all names for that person.

Click the + sign to add a new name. The first box allows you to set the type of name, including married name.
Fill in the relevant details. Don't forget to include the source of your information in the source citation field. To record a married name this might be a reference to a wedding certificate. You might already have that source if you recorded the wedding event.

This screen has many other uses, such as recording other names associated with the person. For example short names Andy instead of Andrew, or names incorrectly recorded in offical documents, changes of names for other reasons.

Richard

Re: Beginners question about Married Name and Birth Name

Philip Weiss
On Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 8:02 AM, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
It is correct that you shouldn't enter the the Married Name if you already
know the Birth Name.  The Married Name is assumed.

If during the marriage the woman decides to take a hyphenated name, or its a
Spanish name that concatenates both family names, then you can indicate that
in the Names tab of the Person edit window.

For an alternative viewpoint:

Married name should never be assumed.  In Sweden, wives did not take husband's names until this century.  In the US, wives sometimes do not take a husband's name, or take a different form of it (my grandmother is Lillian Solle Weiss, not Lillian Weiss). My great grandfather changed his surname, so what is her assumed name?    So which of his surnames do you as her assumed married name?  And in one case in my tree, the husband took the wife's name. Plus, once you get to same sex relationships, you can't rely on the sex of the participants to make a judgement. So many many exceptions that these assumptions are risky.

I did not record married names at first, but I found dealing with all the exceptions as well as not being able to tell the difference between "she didn't have a married name" and "I didn't record her married name" to be a pain.  So now I record them.

Phil.

On 06/09/2016 03:56 PM, Philip Weiss wrote:
[...]

Where?  Hopefully in the Alternate Name tab.

--
"I compare what the data tells me.  I don't do things by votes or authority."
Lawrence Krauss

Re: Beginners question about Married Name and Birth Name

KennyG944
Is there any way to get a screenshot example of this?  That's the one thing
I'd love to see more of.  Screenshots showing examples of entries using
GRAMPS.

Re: Beginners question about Married Name and Birth Name

Dave Scheipers
Check out this

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_5.0_Wiki_Manual_-_Entering_and_editing_data:_detailed_-_part_3#Name_Editor_tab_pages

Sam has been reworking the wiki pages for the release of 5.0 with more
screen shots