Best of Both Worlds: Windows Genealogy Programs on Linux

Best of Both Worlds: Windows Genealogy Programs on Linux

Billie Walsh
I'm not a paid subscriber to this newsletter so I can't say what else he
might say but thought some might like to see this bit.

--
Some people are like Slinky's.

Not good for much but fun to watch when you push them down the stairs.

Sent with Thunderbird on my Kubuntu Linux Desktop

Re: Best of Both Worlds: Windows Genealogy Programs on Linux

Doug
On 04/02/10 14:11, Billie Erin Walsh wrote:

> I'm not a paid subscriber to this newsletter so I can't say what else he
> might say but thought some might like to see this bit.
>
> On 02/04/2010 Eastman's Online Genealogy Newsletter wrote:
>>   (+) Best of Both Worlds: Windows Genealogy Programs on Linux
>>
>>   In yesterday's Plus Edition newsletter, I wrote about the easy method
>>   of installing and using Windows genealogy products on Macintosh
>>   computers.  This gives Macintosh users the best of both worlds: Mac
>>   users can install and use any Windows or Macintosh program.
>>

>>   [Ads delivered by FeedBlitz]
>>
>>   In fact, Linux users have similar capabilities. There is one
>>   well-known easy-to-use genealogy product for Linux, called GRAMPS.
>>   While it does the basics well, it is missing many of the features
>>   expected in today's genealogy...

Really  ???
What else had he/she in mind? This isn't an MS FUD tactic,
is it?

Doug

Re: Best of Both Worlds: Windows Genealogy Programs on Linux

Gerald Britton-2
One thing gramps lacks are source-type-specific dialogs.  Many
commercial programs now have this.  It's one thing I'd like us to
consider for 3.3.  The idea is simple enough:

- When a user starts to enter a source, the first thing is to select a
source type from a dropdown list (e.g. birth certificate, marriage
certificate, death certificate, census, newspaper, magazine, book,
family bible, ...)

- depending on the source type, a customized dialog pops up with easy
fill-in fields (e.g. certificate number, census year, publication
volume and page, book volume and page)

- The data provided is stored in a structured format for later display
or further editing.

The net result is more-consistent source data.  You can be consistent
with our current dialogs of course, but that's a discipline you have
to enforce on yourself and others editing the same database.

We can start small, build a framework and grow the source-type support
as we go forward.  No doubt some would be locale-specific.

Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 2:08 PM, doug <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 04/02/10 14:11, Billie Erin Walsh wrote:
>> I'm not a paid subscriber to this newsletter so I can't say what else he
>> might say but thought some might like to see this bit.
>>
>> On 02/04/2010 Eastman's Online Genealogy Newsletter wrote:
>>>   (+) Best of Both Worlds: Windows Genealogy Programs on Linux
>>>
>>>   In yesterday's Plus Edition newsletter, I wrote about the easy method
>>>   of installing and using Windows genealogy products on Macintosh
>>>   computers.  This gives Macintosh users the best of both worlds: Mac
>>>   users can install and use any Windows or Macintosh program.
>>>

>>>   [Ads delivered by FeedBlitz]
>>>
>>>   In fact, Linux users have similar capabilities. There is one
>>>   well-known easy-to-use genealogy product for Linux, called GRAMPS.
>>>   While it does the basics well, it is missing many of the features
>>>   expected in today's genealogy...
>
> Really  ???
> What else had he/she in mind? This isn't an MS FUD tactic,
> is it?
>
> Doug

Gerald Britton

Re: Best of Both Worlds: Windows Genealogy Programs on Linux

Gerald Britton-2
PS.  We need to get Dick Eastman to review 3.2 soon after we have a
stable release.  I think he'll be impressed.

--
Gerald Britton

Re: Best of Both Worlds: Windows Genealogy Programs on Linux

Gerald Britton-2
One thing gramps lacks are source-type-specific dialogs.  Many
commercial programs now have this.  It's one thing I'd like us to
consider for 3.3.  The idea is simple enough:

- When a user starts to enter a source, the first thing is to select a
source type from a dropdown list (e.g. birth certificate, marriage
certificate, death certificate, census, newspaper, magazine, book,
...)

- depending on the source type, a customized dialog pops up with easy
fill-in fields (e.g. certificate number, census year, publication
volume and page, book volume and page)

- The data provided is stored in a structured format for later display
or further editing.

The net result is more-consistent source data.  You can be consistent
with our current dialogs of course, but that's a discipline you have
to enforce on yoursel

We can start small, build a framework and expand it as we go forward.

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 2:08 PM, doug <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 04/02/10 14:11, Billie Erin Walsh wrote:
>> I'm not a paid subscriber to this newsletter so I can't say what else he
>> might say but thought some might like to see this bit.
>>
>> On 02/04/2010 Eastman's Online Genealogy Newsletter wrote:
>>>   (+) Best of Both Worlds: Windows Genealogy Programs on Linux
>>>
>>>   In yesterday's Plus Edition newsletter, I wrote about the easy method
>>>   of installing and using Windows genealogy products on Macintosh
>>>   computers.  This gives Macintosh users the best of both worlds: Mac
>>>   users can install and use any Windows or Macintosh program.
>>>

>>>   [Ads delivered by FeedBlitz]
>>>
>>>   In fact, Linux users have similar capabilities. There is one
>>>   well-known easy-to-use genealogy product for Linux, called GRAMPS.
>>>   While it does the basics well, it is missing many of the features
>>>   expected in today's genealogy...
>
> Really  ???
> What else had he/she in mind? This isn't an MS FUD tactic,
> is it?
>
> Doug

Gerald Britton

Re: Best of Both Worlds: Windows Genealogy Programs on Linux

Frederico Munoz

First, I'm not surprised that what some expect from a genealogy
program differs from what I expect, given perhaps different needs or
simply a hard to explain feeling of familiarity with some solutions.
So I can perfectly understand that GRAMPS is not everyone's cup of
tea, and that some features could be implemented in different ways,
etc. Having said that, and while thoroughly respecting the opinions of
others, I have some issues with the general ways that some criticism
is voiced:

2010/2/4 Billie Erin Walsh <[hidden email]>:

>>  In yesterday's Plus Edition newsletter, I wrote about the easy method
>>  of installing and using Windows genealogy products on Macintosh
>>  computers.  This gives Macintosh users the best of both worlds: Mac
>>  users can install and use any Windows or Macintosh program.

Which Windows genealogy programs? There are plenty of them. The
overwhelming majority of them - and I've tried several using wine to
correctly understand some early opinions about GRAMPS - do not offer
anything that GRAMPS doesn't offer, nor do they have an "easier" way
of doing things. I have tried Brother's Keeper, Family Historian, PAF,
The Master Geneologist and Ahnenblat (plus some others I've already
forgotten). Each one of them is very different from the others, and
each one of them has a completely different way to it. Most of the
common complaints concerning "ease of usage" are often used by the
users of each specific version towards the others.

What I mean by this is that talking about "Windows genealogy software"
is close to meaningless.

>>  In fact, Linux users have similar capabilities. There is one
>>  well-known easy-to-use genealogy product for Linux, called GRAMPS.
>>  While it does the basics well, it is missing many of the features
>>  expected in today's genealogy...

This is likely covered in the newsletter, and as such what I'm about
to say isn't a criticism that is directed at this particular opinion,
but a more general objection that I have: I hear the "missing many of
the features" thing several times, and they are never really
explained. When it comes down to it it ends up being something like
"Well, in BK I am used to having a single full-screen window for
everything!", or the complete opposite: "Well, in FH I have different
tabs for everything!". In terms of actual features the only one I was
able to get is out-of-the-box support for some citation methods, and
even this only in a small minority of Windows software. Furthermore,
the opposite is easier: I can name several out-of-the-box features of
GRAMPS that are absent from most Windows packages.

I actually had to tackle this since a friend of mine began doing his
genealogy and, being a Windows user, I had to suggest which software
would be a good fit. The only requirement was that is was free to use,
since he is just beginning. I sent several of the more well-known
software packages his way, and actually discouraged him to use GRAMPS
since I was afraid it could be "too much", having been exposed to the
above kind of opinions. Of all the ones he has tried PAF was the
closest to something he could use, but after sampling about 4 of them
he installed GRAMPS, which he has been using since with no problems at
all.

Just my 0.2 €. Most people talk of "Windows genealogy software" when
they mean "the specific software package I have used and he one I am
more familiar with". Since I started without any previous exposure to
them I quite frankly found the vast majority of them gaudy, complex,
with confusing menus and windows (including some with a MDI self-abuse
kit) and, more to the point, without any kind of special feature that
I was missing. I find it especially frustrating to read about the
"look" of GRAMPS, since 90% of Windows genealogy software is based on
God-forsaken toolkits and sports a "let's put 5 option tabs over here,
each one with 3 more rows in them" approach.

Regards,

Frederico Muñoz

doug wrote:

> On 04/02/10 14:11, Billie Erin Walsh wrote:
>
>> I'm not a paid subscriber to this newsletter so I can't say what else he
>> might say but thought some might like to see this bit.
>>
>> On 02/04/2010 Eastman's Online Genealogy Newsletter wrote:
>>
>>>   (+) Best of Both Worlds: Windows Genealogy Programs on Linux
>>>
>>>   In yesterday's Plus Edition newsletter, I wrote about the easy method
>>>   of installing and using Windows genealogy products on Macintosh
>>>   computers.  This gives Macintosh users the best of both worlds: Mac
>>>   users can install and use any Windows or Macintosh program.
>>>

>>>   [Ads delivered by FeedBlitz]
>>>
>>>   In fact, Linux users have similar capabilities. There is one
>>>   well-known easy-to-use genealogy product for Linux, called GRAMPS.
>>>   While it does the basics well, it is missing many of the features
>>>   expected in today's genealogy...
>>>

> Really  ???
> What else had he/she in mind? This isn't an MS FUD tactic,
> is it?
>
> Doug

Nope. Dick Eastman writes a newsletter geared towards genealogy. He
speaks very highly of Linux generally. In the past he has even spoken
highly of Gramps. I have a couple different Windows genealogy programs [
PAF, Brothers Keeper and had an older version of Family Tree Maker a
while back ] installed in Wine and they work quite well. A while back I
needed to export a minimized Gedcom and it was _WAY_ easier in PAF than
Gramps.

I wish I had the pay version of his newsletter so I could read the rest
of the post.

--
Some people are like Slinky's.

Not good for much but fun to watch when you push them down the stairs.

Sent with Thunderbird on my Kubuntu Linux Desktop

Re: Best of Both Worlds: Windows Genealogy Programs on Linux

Nick Hall-6
I'd certainly like to see this in version 3.3.

Nick.

Gerald Britton wrote:

> One thing gramps lacks are source-type-specific dialogs.  Many
> commercial programs now have this.  It's one thing I'd like us to
> consider for 3.3.  The idea is simple enough:
>
> - When a user starts to enter a source, the first thing is to select a
> source type from a dropdown list (e.g. birth certificate, marriage
> certificate, death certificate, census, newspaper, magazine, book,
> family bible, ...)
>
> - depending on the source type, a customized dialog pops up with easy
> fill-in fields (e.g. certificate number, census year, publication
> volume and page, book volume and page)
>
> - The data provided is stored in a structured format for later display
> or further editing.
>
> The net result is more-consistent source data.  You can be consistent
> with our current dialogs of course, but that's a discipline you have
> to enforce on yourself and others editing the same database.
>
> We can start small, build a framework and grow the source-type support
> as we go forward.  No doubt some would be locale-specific.
>
> Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 2:08 PM, doug <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 04/02/10 14:11, Billie Erin Walsh wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not a paid subscriber to this newsletter so I can't say what else he
>>> might say but thought some might like to see this bit.

>> Really  ???
>> What else had he/she in mind? This isn't an MS FUD tactic,
>> is it?
>>
>> Doug

Re: Best of Both Worlds: Windows Genealogy Programs on Linux

Martin Ewing

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 2:42 PM, Frederico Muñoz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Which Windows genealogy programs? There are plenty of them. The
overwhelming majority of them - and I've tried several using wine to
correctly understand some early opinions about GRAMPS - do not offer
anything that GRAMPS doesn't offer, nor do they have an "easier" way
of doing things.

Whiskey might be a better choice!

--
Dr. Martin S. Ewing, AA6E
Member IEEE, URSI, AAS, ARRL

Re: Best of Both Worlds: Windows Genealogy Programs on Linux

Reinhard Müller
There are dozens of genealogy programs out there, for different
operating systems, and for each of them I can easily find things that I
don't like.

Of all these, only in GRAMPS I can *change* what I don't like, because
GRAMPS is Free Software. For me, this makes GRAMPS superior to any other
alternative.

That's what it's all about IMHO: you'll very unlikely find a program
that does everything exactly the way you want it. But with Free
Software, you can *make* it do everything exactly the way you want it.

Thanks,
Reinhard

Re: Best of Both Worlds: Windows Genealogy Programs on Linux

Jim Winfrey
On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 2:34 PM, Gerald Britton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> PS.  We need to get Dick Eastman to review 3.2 soon after we have a
> stable release.  I think he'll be impressed.
mps-users mailing list

I am a subscriber to Dick Eastman's genealogy letter.  Dick has
reviewed Gramps several times and has given it high marks.  In this
weeks issue, he tells how to install Gramps on a USB flash disk and
carry it around with you.

Jim

Re: Best of Both Worlds: Windows Genealogy Programs on Linux

Dave Marshall-2
Ok, I am curious. If I had Gramps on a USB flash drive, how am I going to use it on a computer in the library or whatever, since those computers are most likely going to be running Windows?

On 02/05/2010 09:46 AM, Jim Winfrey wrote:
On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 2:34 PM, Gerald Britton [hidden email] wrote:

PS.  We need to get Dick Eastman to review 3.2 soon after we have a
stable release.  I think he'll be impressed.

mps-users mailing list

I am a subscriber to Dick Eastman's genealogy letter.  Dick has
reviewed Gramps several times and has given it high marks.  In this
weeks issue, he tells how to install Gramps on a USB flash disk and
carry it around with you.

Jim

Researching Surnames Marshall, Broemsen, Blaetner, Pugh, Schlicher, Kennedy, Harmison
Located in Ohio, West Virginia, Kentucky, Pennsylvania and ???

Dave Marshall N8OAY
[hidden email]

N8OAY's Railfan Help Desk
http://www.railfanswelcome.com

Re: Best of Both Worlds: Windows Genealogy Programs on Linux

Frederico Munoz
Hi,

2010/2/6 Dave Marshall <[hidden email]>:
> Ok, I am curious. If I had Gramps on a USB flash drive, how am I going to
> use it on a computer in the library or whatever, since those computers are
> most likely going to be running Windows?

I assume that they are referring to the Windows version of GRAMPS (see
http://www.ormus.info/archives/278-Portable-Gramps-Genealogy-in-your-Pocket.html).

Cheers,

Frederico