Best practices for recording a stepson, marriages, and death of a spouse.

Best practices for recording a stepson, marriages, and death of a spouse.

GRAMPS - User mailing list
I’m having some problems with recording a stepson in our family tree. I think that I’ve probably messed things up somewhat, as the results look somewhat strange. To recap – Our son married a single mother whose son David changed his family name (Smith) to ours (Brown) by deed poll. Following advice, I created a new name for him (David Brown), and recorded it as a name change by deed poll. Being unsure of the correct use of the ‘connector’ field, I recorded ‘stepson’ in that field. This is now what shows for his entry in the person editor:- Preferred name section:- Brown stepson Smith, David Multiple surnames section:- 1 – Brown (our family name). 2 – Smith (his birth family name) General section: Same as preferred name section. If I’ve messed up, how can I fix it, other than deleting the person and starting again? Other than ‘stepson’, what, if anything, should go in the connector field? Also, can you indulge this nonogenarian with answers to a couple of other queries? Best way to record a marriage – as an event in the family editor, or in the person editor? Is an entry in the Family record automatically carried over into the personal record? Or vice versa? Similarly, the best way to record a death of a spouse? In the family record, or the personal record? Best way to record a second marriage for someone with a deceased or divorced spouse. Many thanks

Re: Best practices for recording a stepson, marriages, and death of a spouse.

Philip Weiss

On Nov 18 2019, at 11:12 pm, Petrus1928 via Gramps-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

The name fields are mostly display fields, with the big exception being "origin".   Connector is literally the text that connects two surnames.

The example from the web site uses the following Portuguese name: José de Mascarenhas da Silva e Lencastre.  This is two surnames "de mascarenhas", where "de" is put in the "Prefix" field. "e" could go in the connector field. And "Lencastre" goes in as a second surname.

I personally use connector for hyphenated surnames.  For instance: Bradley Wright-Phillips would go in as "Wright" (surname #1), "-" (connector) and "Phillips" (surname #2).  It's also valid to put in hyphenated surnames as one surname.

I think the situation you have is better modeled in Gramps using two names, rather than two surnames.  E.g., he has one name of David Smith.  Rather than editing that name to add a second surname, add a second name that is "David Brown".  The type of the first would be "Birth Name".  The type of the second one could be "Adopted Name".  You can pick the text for name type.  Which name you decide you want to be the preferred, or displayed, name is up to you.

To fix him, you can delete just the name and add a new one name.  Any events you've added will stay with the person record this way.  You don't need to delete the person and re-add them, which will lose any events you have already added.

Also, can you indulge this nonogenarian with answers to a couple of other queries? Best way to record a marriage – as an event in the family editor, or in the person editor? Is an entry in the Family record automatically carried over into the personal record? Or vice versa?

Generally speaking, the best practice is as a family event.  Almost everything in Gramps will show family events in reports for each individual who is a parent in a family. If you put in marriage as a personal event that is shared by both parents, reports that do things like figure out length of marriage won't work.

One other best practice is to only record marriage (including marriage license, marriage banns, etc.) & divorce (including annulment) events as family events.  Even if they live together, you'll probably find residence events best recorded as personal events that are shared between both participants, rather than family events.

Similarly, the best way to record a death of a spouse? In the family record, or the personal record?

Generally speaking, the personal record of the spouse themself.

Best way to record a second marriage for someone with a deceased or divorced spouse. Many thanks

Generally speaking, adding a second family with the living (or the divorcee of interest) person as a parent.  In the relationship view, select the living person, then look at the button bar at the top.  One of them will be "Add a new family with person as parent". I have people in my tree who were married 7 times, and so they are a part of 7 different families as a parent.  They didn't have children in all those families, but the Gramps nomenclature is "parent" if they are one of the two heads of a family.

I hope this helps.  All my "generally speakings" above are because the longer you use Gramps, the bigger the chance that you'll find occasions to do something different on occasion.

Phil

Re: Best practices for recording a stepson, marriages, and death of a spouse.

Peter Merchant
On 19/11/2019 07:12, Petrus1928 via Gramps-users wrote:
[...]

Hello, as you will see from reading this list, things can be done in many ways. I treat a stepson as an offspring of a family where the relationship/marriage/liaison is unknown. So I create a family without naming the father, but add the son.   You can create another family reusing the same person. When you create a family in the family editor, there is a drop down box that gives the choice of relationship. If you are recording the marriage event, it goes in this family as a family event.

So Family 1 is Abigail Smith without a partner, but with a son John Smith.

Family 2 is Abigail Smith and Bob Brown -type marriage - and marriage event recorded as a Family event with all/some of the details filled in.

As I use graphview for a lot of my viewing, this shows John as the son of  Abigail, but not of Bob of the second liaison.

I hope that this is OK.

Re: Best practices for recording a stepson, marriages, and death of a spouse.

Hi Petrus

Phil and Peter have given you information about names and marriages.

 A person can also be included as a child in more than one family. So
David could be in a family with his [unknown] biological father and
his mother. And as the son in the family with your son as the father
and his mother. In the family editor and looking at the Children tab,
it will list how a child is related to the parent. The default is
Birth. Clicking on the child will bring up a screen to change this
relationship. In the boy's family with your son, you can change the
boy's relationship to "Stepchild" or "Adopted". The boy's relationship
to his mother would remain as Birth. You are only setting a different
relationship to your son.

Dave