Best way to create citations for civil registration indexes

Best way to create citations for civil registration indexes

grampsgenealogist
I'd be grateful for views on how to create citations in Gramps for a civil
registration index entry such as a birth which appears in the General
Register Office England and Wales civil registration index for Oct-Nov-Dec
1866. The index can be a source of information in itself, not just a means
of finding a reference to a birth/marriage/death certificate. You can use
the index to confirm an event to the nearest quarter. Strictly speaking, in
line with standard Gramps practice, if the index is used to confirm an
event, then the source should be the index (e.g. "General Register Office:
Birth registration index") and the volume and page number should be the
index volume and the page number in the index. It's then important to record
the citation for the certificate e.g. "Oct-Nov-Dec 1886, Melksham, Vol.6a,
p.142." It's technically incorrect to put "Oct-Nov-Dec 1886, Melksham,
Vol.6a, p.142" in the volume/page number for the registration index because
this is the citation for the actual certificate. Possibly the certificate
reference could go in the citation note.This approach would result in a main
citation like:

General Register Office: Birth registration index
       Date: 1886
       Page: Births registered in October, November and December 1866,
p.558 [of index]

And a citation note like:
       Oct-Nov-Dec 1886, Melksham, Vol.6a, p.142

"Oct-Nov-Dec 1886, Melksham, Vol.6a, p.142" would then be the main citation
for the actual certificate if it is used directly as a source.

While technically correct, this approach doesn't work very well if the data
is exported to GEDCOM and from there to an ancestry.com tree (which is a
useful way to share the tree). The citation note is preserved but the data
is shown in a rather confusing way. Also, some Gramps displays don't always
show the citation note immediately, you have to click through to it. So an
alternative approach is to put the certificate reference in the volume/page
no. for the index:

General Register Office: Birth registration index
       Date: 1886
       Page: Oct-Nov-Dec 1886, Melksham, Vol.6a, p.142

The disadvantage is that this is not the volume/page number of the index.
However is this what is usually done for civil registration indexes by
Gramps users? Perhaps it is the most useful approach?

Re: Best way to create citations for civil registration indexes

Alan Heywood-Jones

I often use the General Register Office England and Wales as a source of data and regularly buy copies of certificates from it.  I also like to transfer data to my iPhone or iPad genealogy application which accepts GED formatted data.  On top of which I’m lazy and only type the minimum amount of data that I can get away with!

So, and with apologies to Gramps purists, here is what I do:-

In GED format this gives me, for example:-

1 DEAT

2 TYPE GRO 10b 599 Q2

2 PLAC Carlisle

I enter the same data for a birth event:

1 BIRT

2 TYPE GRO 10B

3 CONT 595 Q3

2 DATE 18 MAY 1906

2 PLAC Carlisle

(In cutting and pasting from a web page I have introduced a line break and therefore a CONT record but this is unimportant.)

Marriages are treated similarly:-

1 EVEN

2 TYPE Marriage

2 NOTE Description: GRO 22 396 Q1

2 PLAC Sculcoates

In all cases it sometimes happens that the registration district is not the same as the Place that I have already entered from other sources.  When this happens I enter the district after the letters GRO.

-Alan
TIME is Precious - Waste it Wisely