Bride/groom vs family event role and main participants

Bride/groom vs family event role and main participants

Sebastian Schubert
Hi,

How should the event roles "Bride" and "Groom" be used, in particular in
comparison to the "Family" event role?

My idea was to use the "Family" role as the default when both bride and
groom data is available. When it is only known that person X married but
not whom, then I chose "Bride" or "Groom". Doing it that way, however,
the bride or groom should also be listed in the "Main participants",
right? This is currently not the case.

As discussed earlier and in
I would like to get rid of too much "Event description" and rely more on
the "Main participants". (Btw, thanks to Nick for committing his
changes!) Thus, I would need to have the main participants extended.

Or are "Bride" and "Groom" to be used differently so that they don't
belong in the main participants?

Cheers
Sebastian

Re: Bride/groom vs family event role and main participants

Nick Hall-6
On 05/03/14 08:32, Sebastian Schubert wrote:
> How should the event roles "Bride" and "Groom" be used, in particular in
> comparison to the "Family" event role?
>
> My idea was to use the "Family" role as the default when both bride and
> groom data is available. When it is only known that person X married but
> not whom, then I chose "Bride" or "Groom". Doing it that way, however,
> the bride or groom should also be listed in the "Main participants",
> right? This is currently not the case.

There are two ways to record marriage events:

1. Create a family event.

The default role for the family in this event will be "Family".

The family could be missing a father, mother or both.

This is the preferred way to record this type of event in Gramps.

2. Create an event shared between two people.

Set the role for the man to "Groom" and the role for the woman to "Bride".

This has the advantage that event reference attributes can have
consistent names with other event types.  Some people find this approach
more intuitive.  However, this is not the recommended approach in Gramps.

Main participants are those with role types of either "Primary" or "Family".

Re: Bride/groom vs family event role and main participants

Sebastian Schubert
Hi Nick,

On 05/03/14 13:25, Nick Hall wrote:

> There are two ways to record marriage events:
>

> 1. Create a family event.
>
> The default role for the family in this event will be "Family".
>
> The family could be missing a father, mother or both.
>
> This is the preferred way to record this type of event in Gramps.
>

> 2. Create an event shared between two people.
>
> Set the role for the man to "Groom" and the role for the woman to "Bride".
>
> This has the advantage that event reference attributes can have
> consistent names with other event types.  Some people find this approach
> more intuitive.  However, this is not the recommended approach in Gramps.
Thanks for the clarification. I added this to the wiki:

https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Events_in_Gramps#Marriage

Please correct it or remove it if necessary.

> Main participants are those with role types of either "Primary" or "Family".

Wouldn't it be more consistent to include also the "bride" and "groom"
in the main participants? Or remove the default event roles "bride" and
"groom" to reduce confusion?

Thanks for your work!

On 07/03/14 09:57, Sebastian Schubert wrote:
> Thanks for the clarification. I added this to the wiki:
>
> https://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Events_in_Gramps#Marriage
>
> Please correct it or remove it if necessary.

Thanks for updating the wiki.

>> >Main participants are those with role types of either "Primary" or "Family".
> Wouldn't it be more consistent to include also the "bride" and "groom"
> in the main participants? Or remove the default event roles "bride" and
> "groom" to reduce confusion?

We sometimes only display one main participant.  This will be the first
one found.

Where an event has more that one participant with a "main" role, this
will give unexpected results.  If you create a family event, and add two
people as main participants rather than a family, then one will be
listed.  This will be the case if you give the bride and groom the role
of "primary".

What role types will you use for engagement and divorce events?  The
same problem will occur for all family events.

We get a similar problem with census events.  If all participants are
given a "primary" role, then one is listed as a main participant.  This
might not be the head of the household.  Should we add a role of "Head"?