Building gramps 4.2.6 package on Mac OSX

Building gramps 4.2.6 package on Mac OSX

Gary Griffin
I am trying to build gramps package on Mac OSX but am having issues. Is the
Mac_OS_X:Build_from_source:Application_package
<https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Mac_OS_X:Build_from_source:Application_package>
current?

I am currently stalled at building pygobject3 per those instructions

I manually installed py3cairo-1.12 via : brew install py3cairo
but when I try to build pygobject3 I get:

checking for PYCAIRO... no
configure: error: Package requirements (py3cairo >= 1.10.0
        ) were not met:

No package 'py3cairo' found

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables PYCAIRO_CFLAGS
and PYCAIRO_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
*** Error during phase configure of pygobject3: ########## Error running
./configure --prefix /Users/testdev/gtk/inst    *** [46/74]

I had to make a few changes to gramps.modules to get this far, mostly
changing http to https for some packages.

Once I can successfully build 4.2 I was going to try 5.0 . Any advice on
that would also be appreciated.

--
Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-Dev-f1791083.html

Re: Building gramps 4.2.6 package on Mac OSX

John Ralls-2

> On Jan 14, 2018, at 7:32 PM, Gary Griffin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am trying to build gramps package on Mac OSX but am having issues. Is the
> Mac_OS_X:Build_from_source:Application_package
> <https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Mac_OS_X:Build_from_source:Application_package>
> current?
>
> I am currently stalled at building pygobject3 per those instructions
>
> I manually installed py3cairo-1.12 via : brew install py3cairo
> but when I try to build pygobject3 I get:
>
> checking for PYCAIRO... no
> configure: error: Package requirements (py3cairo >= 1.10.0
>        ) were not met:
>
> No package 'py3cairo' found
>
> Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
> installed software in a non-standard prefix.
>
> Alternatively, you may set the environment variables PYCAIRO_CFLAGS
> and PYCAIRO_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
> See the pkg-config man page for more details.
> *** Error during phase configure of pygobject3: ########## Error running
> ./configure --prefix /Users/testdev/gtk/inst    *** [46/74]
>
> I had to make a few changes to gramps.modules to get this far, mostly
> changing http to https for some packages.
>
> Once I can successfully build 4.2 I was going to try 5.0 . Any advice on
> that would also be appreciated.

You cannot mix Homebrew (or MacPorts or Fink) and jhbuild. Jhbuild needs to build everything and it needs to not be able to see any of the others.

Start over, making sure that the environment you use for jhbuild is free of any references (including in $PATH, $DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH, $PYTHONPATH) to anything Homebrew. You may have to create a new user and switch to that account if you routinely use Homebrew software for other work.

I’ve updated a couple of things in the procedure and in the gramps42 module set to reflect the current build requirements and the fact that GObject-Introspection now works with Python3 so a two-phase build isn’t necessary any more. The wiki article was so out of date that it didn’t even reflect that Gramps42 and later are Python3 only. I haven’t yet tested the changes so you may want to wait a couple of days to be sure that it’s stable, and the gramps50 and master module sets won’t see the changes until someone gets around to merging gramps42 up.

Regards,
John Ralls

Re: Building gramps 4.2.6 package on Mac OSX

Gary Griffin
I restarted my environment and met with a few specific issues when trying to
build 4.2 per the updated gramps.module and instructions. Let me try to
enumerate so that they are easier to resolve

1) Building pygobject fails with missing py3cairo package
2) Download of gnutls fails (times out)
3) graphviz download and build fails. I used the following to get past it. I
dont know if these are the 'correct' fixes:
Change repo
  <repository type="tarball" name="graphviz"

href="https://graphviz.gitlab.io/pub/graphviz/stable/SOURCES/"/>
Change branch
    <branch module="graphviz.tar.gz" version="2.40.1" repo="graphviz"
checkoutdir="graphviz-2.40.1"/>

4) Remove the patch file from pillow as it is not in the download
5) Building pyicu fails with a missing include file : layout/LayoutEngine.h
(from layoutengine.cpp)
6) pybsddb has a bad hash and will not download

--
Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-Dev-f1791083.html