Bulk Editing Event Details

Tony Gordon

I have received a Gedcom file from a relative that I want to put into Gramps and ultimately into my main database. I can import the file okay but a lot of the events in the Gedcom file do not have event types so import as blank types. I would like to, if possible, edit them in bulk rather than one at a time. I tried the Export View, edit the CSV, then import, but that didn't change anything. Is there some way I can do a bulk edit?

I am using Gramps 4.2.6.

Tony

Re: Bulk Editing Event Details

prculley
There is no really easy way to do this using Gramps.  I suggest you look at editing the source Gedcom file.  Try to find the lines that refer to one of your 'bad' events, as shown in Gramps.  You can search by some text associated with the vent, or perhaps the date, if it is not repeated too often.
A normal Gedcom with odd types would have a sequence like this:
1 EVEN
2 TYPE Immigrathon
2 DATE 21 MAY 1908
2 PLAC Copenhagen, Denmark

These lines would be somewhere under the 0@xxxx@ INDI line which is describing an individual, or under a 0 @xxxx@ FAM line describing a family.

I would expect that your Gedcom might have skipped the TYPE line.
It is also possible that a FACT type line might have been used, instead of EVEN.  Of course the source software might have used its own invented Gedcom tags, not standard.  In this case you may have a harder time figuring out what to do.

You might consider posting a portion of the Gedcom file extracted that contains the data causing the issue.  Make sure to get a good selection of lines above and below so we can see what the context is.  At least up to the previous line starting with a '0' and to the next line starting with a '0'.

If you post this information we can give more detailed advice.

Paul C.