Bulk Merge?

paul womack
(This question is ultimately how do I share useful data between databases?)

To save effort, I have a "blank" .gramps file, that contains a lot of repositories,
sources and places.

When I start a small isolated piece of research, I start a new gramps DB
and import this blank file. It saves a lot of work.

Until now.

I have decided, for logistical reasons, to merge some
of my small databases.

Fine. All I have to do is create a new blank DB, make a backup of
the littl'uns, and import. Easy!

Except (of course) I end up with everything from the blank
DB duplicated as many times as I had small DB's.

Is there a way to automatically de-dup this? The item to be
de-dup'd are (of course) fully identical, not merely similar.

  BugBear

Re: Bulk Merge?

prculley
If you are importing .gramps files that were based on an original Gramps tree, you may find the "import and merge tool" addon useful.
https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Import_Merge_Tool
It should allow you to de-dup the original items more easily.

P.S. this tool is only available on Gramps 5.0.0-alpha3 or beta1.

Paul C.

Paul Culley wrote:
> If you are importing .gramps files that were based on an original Gramps tree, you may find the "import and merge tool" addon useful.
> https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Import_Merge_Tool
> It should allow you to de-dup the original items more easily.
>
> P.S. this tool is only available on Gramps 5.0.0-alpha3 or beta1.

Thank for the pointer, but...

bugger; too late. I have already done all the imports, AND done
a fair bit of new research in the merged database.

   BugBear