Callname marking

Joachim Breitner
Hi,

my family plans to submit a large amount of data (~200, maybe more) for
inclusion in the German "Deutsches Geschlechterbuch", and me, being the
techie, will have to handle that part. I'm using GRAMPS now for a while
for handling the data, and so far I am very content, and recently
started to dig deeper, creating my own reports and the like.

One must-have for the inclusion is the marking of the callname from
several surnames by underlining. Currently, GRAMPS does not seem to
support that. I'd propose to include this logic:
 * If there is only one surname, do nothing
 * If there is more than one:
   - Default to the first one to be the callname
   - Provide a dropdown list (or do you have a better idea) next to the
name entry field to select which surname is the clalname. Store only
this number in the database
 * In Reports, if there is more than one surname, underline the callname

Would that be possible? For me, this is a must-have feature for this
project. In return, if I actually can use GRAMPS, I will of course
submit any useful code I produce (including maybe nice large-scale
LaTeX-Reports).

Thanks for GRAMPS!

Joachim

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner
  mail: [hidden email] | ICQ# 74513189 | GPG-Key: 4743206C

Re: Callname marking

Joachim Breitner
Hi again,

I mixed up surname and first name (I always do). Please re-read my post
of I thought I was talking nonsense :-)

Thanks,
Joachim

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner
  mail: [hidden email] | ICQ# 74513189 | GPG-Key: 4743206C
  JID: [hidden email] | http://www.joachim-breitner.de/
  Debian Developer: [hidden email]

Re: Callname marking

Don Allingham
Is there a reason why the Nickname field could not be used?

Don

--
Don Allingham
http://don.allingham.org

Re: Callname marking

Joachim Breitner
Hi,

Am Samstag, den 12.11.2005, 16:53 -0700 schrieb Don Allingham:
> Is there a reason why the Nickname field could not be used?

Because there might already be a nickname and because the call name has
to be exactly one of the given names. This is actually something that
the law says in Germany (maximum of 5 names, one of which is the call
name (Rufname), but might be swiched to another first name by the person
later in his life). Also, using the Nickname for the fields, it would be
hard to proper mark up the name in Reports (i.e., underline the call
name)

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner
  mail: [hidden email] | ICQ# 74513189 | GPG-Key: 4743206C
  JID: [hidden email] | http://www.joachim-breitner.de/
  Debian Developer: [hidden email]

Re: Callname marking

Don Allingham
It sounds like this is a good use for the Alternative Names. Each person
can have more than one name associated with him/her. Typically, this is
"Birth Name" or "Married Name", but it sounds like you can easily add a
"Call Name" to each person if the NickName field won't work for you.

Don

--
Don Allingham
http://don.allingham.org

Re: Callname marking

Joachim Breitner
Hi,

hmm, not really: Isn't the point of associating more than one name with
a person if he has different names throughout time (as you say marriage
or the like?)? Ignoring what I said about switching the call name (which
is unlikely), the call name is not a separate name, but an attribute to
one of the given names, and should be treated as such. To me, it does
not make much sense to save the same name twice in different fields...

I'm rather surprised that this seems to be such an odd request. Isn't it
common for people with more than one first name to be actually using the
second or third?

If you are interested, on
http://www.starkeverlag.de/presse/Download/Musterblaetter.pdf
you will find an example for submitting data to the "Deutsches
Geschlechterbuch". On page 8, line 1 and 3, there are people where a
different second name is underlined, indicating the name they were
actually using.

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim Breitner
  e-Mail: [hidden email]

Re: Callname marking

Eero Tamminen
Hi,

On Sunday 13 November 2005 10:56, Joachim Breitner wrote:

> hmm, not really: Isn't the point of associating more than one name with
> a person if he has different names throughout time (as you say marriage
> or the like?)? Ignoring what I said about switching the call name (which
> is unlikely), the call name is not a separate name, but an attribute to
> one of the given names, and should be treated as such. To me, it does
> not make much sense to save the same name twice in different fields...
>
> I'm rather surprised that this seems to be such an odd request. Isn't it
> common for people with more than one first name to be actually using the
> second or third?

At least in also Finland one of the names is the "call name" which one
should mark somehow in official papers (either underlining or putting
it to separate field from the other names).

There was a discussion about this a while ago and this feature is also
in many other countries, but if I remember the discussion just petered
out...

How this is handled in other genealogy programs?
(I personally don't have experience from others than Gramps)

        - Eero

> If you are interested, on
> http://www.starkeverlag.de/presse/Download/Musterblaetter.pdf
> you will find an example for submitting data to the "Deutsches
> Geschlechterbuch". On page 8, line 1 and 3, there are people where a
> different second name is underlined, indicating the name they were
> actually using.
>

> Greetings,
> Joachim
>
> Am Samstag, den 12.11.2005, 22:04 -0700 schrieb Don Allingham:
> > It sounds like this is a good use for the Alternative Names. Each
> > person can have more than one name associated with him/her. Typically,
> > this is "Birth Name" or "Married Name", but it sounds like you can
> > easily add a "Call Name" to each person if the NickName field won't
> > work for you.
> >
> > Don
> >
> > On Sun, 2005-11-13 at 01:57 +0100, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> > > Hi,

> > > Because there might already be a nickname and because the call name
> > > has to be exactly one of the given names. This is actually something
> > > that the law says in Germany (maximum of 5 names, one of which is the
> > > call name (Rufname), but might be swiched to another first name by
> > > the person later in his life). Also, using the Nickname for the
> > > fields, it would be hard to proper mark up the name in Reports (i.e.,
> > > underline the call name)
> > >
> > > Greetings,
> > > Joachim

Re: Callname marking

Don Allingham
On Sun, 2005-11-13 at 19:24 +0200, Eero Tamminen wrote:

> At least in also Finland one of the names is the "call name" which one
> should mark somehow in official papers (either underlining or putting
> it to separate field from the other names).
>
> There was a discussion about this a while ago and this feature is also
> in many other countries, but if I remember the discussion just petered
> out...
>
> How this is handled in other genealogy programs?
> (I personally don't have experience from others than Gramps)
>
> - Eero
The conclusion that we came to was that the Nick Name field should be
used for this. In fact, we were planning on changing the name of the
field in 2.2, and relegating the old style nickname to either an
Attribute or an Alternate Name.

Just as an example, in the US, we don't have anything like an official
call name. However, my given name is "Donald Norman", but I am always
known as "Don". If you notice, "Don" is neither "Donald" nor "Norman".
Similarly, my son is "Wesley Donald", but is known as "Wes".

Every culture treats names differently and has different rules. The
problem we have is that everyone wants the name to reflect exactly how
they want it, but no two areas of the world treat it the same. If we put
in enough flexibility to handle everyone's desire, names would become
too complex for anyone to understand.  This is why we would prefer to
use existing structures than inventing new ones.

A call name can easily be identified as a Nick Name, an Attribute, or an
Alternate Name. None of these would require massive changes to the
database internal structure or to the interface, just a little bit of
intelligence added to the reports.

--
Don Allingham <[hidden email]>

Re: Callname marking

Eero Tamminen
Hi,

On Sunday 13 November 2005 20:02, Don Allingham wrote:

> The conclusion that we came to was that the Nick Name field should be
> used for this. In fact, we were planning on changing the name of the
> field in 2.2, and relegating the old style nickname to either an
> Attribute or an Alternate Name.
>
> Just as an example, in the US, we don't have anything like an official
> call name. However, my given name is "Donald Norman", but I am always
> known as "Don". If you notice, "Don" is neither "Donald" nor "Norman".
> Similarly, my son is "Wesley Donald", but is known as "Wes".
>
> Every culture treats names differently and has different rules. The
> problem we have is that everyone wants the name to reflect exactly how
> they want it, but no two areas of the world treat it the same. If we put
> in enough flexibility to handle everyone's desire, names would become
> too complex for anyone to understand.  This is why we would prefer to
> use existing structures than inventing new ones.
>
> A call name can easily be identified as a Nick Name, an Attribute, or an
> Alternate Name. None of these would require massive changes to the
> database internal structure or to the interface, just a little bit of
> intelligence added to the reports.

What kind of stuff you had in mind for reports?

There would need to be some way to mark which one of the (fore) names to
emphatize and how.

        - Eero

Re: Callname marking

Martin Hawlisch
Hi,

> Von: Eero Tamminen <[hidden email]>
> Betreff: Re: [Gramps-users] Callname marking
> On Sunday 13 November 2005 20:02, Don Allingham wrote:
> > A call name can easily be identified as a Nick Name, an Attribute, or an
> > Alternate Name. None of these would require massive changes to the
> > database internal structure or to the interface, just a little bit of
> > intelligence added to the reports.
>
> What kind of stuff you had in mind for reports?
>
> There would need to be some way to mark which one of the (fore) names to
> emphatize and how.

One thing is that the callname and the nickname of a person can be
different, so using the nickname field for that purpose is not an ideal
solution. Additionally the callname itself is not a separate name. It simply
is one choosen out of multiple birth names and therefore should be stored
there.

In gemany (I dont know about the other countries) this callname is commonly
underlined when writing down the given names in official forms, so ideally
this markup feature would be supported by gramps.

Some german genealogy apps support this by building up the given name not
only by using one text field (as GRAMPS does) but by providing a list where
each name of the multiple given names is entered into separate fields.
Checkboxes then allow to specify the callname. This would be a larger change
in gramps and overhead for countries that dont need this feature.

Using a separate text field (similar to the nickname) could be used, and
underlining handled by comparing the string of the given name and callname
and then underline the identical parts. This leads to problems with typos,
when the text of the callname field does no match the given names.

A third method could be to generate a drop-down list out of the given names
and let the user select the callname. This leads to problems with how to
separate the given names. In "Peter Hans-Georg Michael" one can use
"Hans-Georg" as callname, another person could use "Georg".

Why not use a method to mark the callname (or better the part that should be
drawn underlined) directly when typing in the given name by for example
putting an underscore right in front or arround of the callname? For example
"Peter Hans-Georg _Michael" would use Michael as callname, "Peter
_Hans_-Georg Michael" would use "Hans", and "Peter _Hans-Georg_ Michael"
would use "Hans-Georg"? This would mean no change of the User Interface,
only some core methods that print out the name need to be changed, and this
doesnt affect other languages.

Cheers,
  Martin.

Re: Callname marking

Joachim Breitner
Hi,

Am Montag, den 14.11.2005, 11:24 +0100 schrieb Martin Hawlisch:
> A third method could be to generate a drop-down list out of the given names
> and let the user select the callname. This leads to problems with how to
> separate the given names. In "Peter Hans-Georg Michael" one can use
> "Hans-Georg" as callname, another person could use "Georg".
Is that possible? If Hans-Georg is considered one name, than (at least
from a law point of view), it can only be the call name as one? But not
sure about this.

> Why not use a method to mark the callname (or better the part that should be
> drawn underlined) directly when typing in the given name by for example
> putting an underscore right in front or arround of the callname? For example
> "Peter Hans-Georg _Michael" would use Michael as callname, "Peter
> _Hans_-Georg Michael" would use "Hans", and "Peter _Hans-Georg_ Michael"
> would use "Hans-Georg"? This would mean no change of the User Interface,
> only some core methods that print out the name need to be changed, and this
> doesnt affect other languages.
This sounds more like a hack than a solution, but might be possible.
Although the impact might be more than visible at first, e.g. the
sorting code has to change, and it is very ugly if missed somewhere in
the output.

A third alternative, which is especially nice to people not needing this
solution: Add an entry "mark as callname" to the context menu (right
mouse click) of the text field, which would mark the selected substring
(or the word with the curser, if nothing is selected) as a callname, and
displaying it underlined both in the UI and the reports. One would have
to find a way to save the information, but either markers in the saved
text string or saving the start and end position should do the job.

What do you think?

Greetings,
Joachim
--
Joachim Breitner
  e-Mail: [hidden email]

Re: Callname marking

Stefan Björk-2

> I'm rather surprised that this seems to be such an odd request. Isn't it
> common for people with more than one first name to be actually using the
> second or third?

It is not. I have asked for exactly the same functionality. The new
NickName handling is a step in the right direction. I can do with that,
but the best solution would be something like that you suggest - mark
one of the first names which receive special typographic treatment in
reports.

Stefan

Re: Callname marking

Richard Bos
Op maandag 14 november 2005 16:03, schreef Joachim Breitner:
> A third alternative, which is especially nice to people not needing this
> solution: Add an entry "mark as callname" to the context menu (right
> mouse click) of the text field, which would mark the selected substring
> (or the word with the curser, if nothing is selected) as a callname, and
> displaying it underlined both in the UI and the reports. One would have
> to find a way to save the information, but either markers in the saved
> text string or saving the start and end position should do the job.

In my case my callname is different than my birth names.  My callname is
Richard while my birth name (one of them) is Richardus...  How will you deal
with that?

--
Richard Bos
Without a home the journey is endless

Re: Callname marking

Joachim Breitner
Hi,

Am Montag, den 14.11.2005, 20:10 +0100 schrieb Richard Bos:

> Op maandag 14 november 2005 16:03, schreef Joachim Breitner:
> > A third alternative, which is especially nice to people not needing this
> > solution: Add an entry "mark as callname" to the context menu (right
> > mouse click) of the text field, which would mark the selected substring
> > (or the word with the curser, if nothing is selected) as a callname, and
> > displaying it underlined both in the UI and the reports. One would have
> > to find a way to save the information, but either markers in the saved
> > text string or saving the start and end position should do the job.
>
> In my case my callname is different than my birth names.  My callname is
> Richard while my birth name (one of them) is Richardus...  How will you deal
> with that?

Well, that sounds like a _real_ case for a nickname to me, but I'm not
sure. Always keep in mind that what I refer to as a callname is also a
legal thing (AFAIK), and this legal thing probably only applies to full
given names.

In your special case and the above implementation sketch, though, you
would just mark the Richard of Richardus and mark that part as the
callname. The could could be easily that flexible.

Greetings,
Joachim
--
Joachim Breitner