Can I filter photos and documents in the Gedcom export?

Can I filter photos and documents in the Gedcom export?

Arie Pool
I have a Gramps database in which I have recorded all my family and the family of my wife. I have connected a lot of old photos and documents to the individuals and relationships.
When I do a gedcom export I can filter on tags on persons. Every family has his own tag. In that export all the photos and documents attached to an individual are also exported.
Is it possible to filter the photo’s and documents as well? The only filter I found for documents is the privacy filter, but that is somewhat to crude to be a filter.

I use an external program to create books. For example, when I create a book for my wife’s family I want other photos of my father then when I create a book for my family.

Arie

Virusvrij. www.avg.com

Re: Can I filter photos and documents in the Gedcom export?

Dave Scheipers
Hi Arie,

When you export, there is the Export Options screen where you set the filter for the portion of your tree to be exported.

There is a Reference Filter. Set that to "Do not include records not linked to a selected person."

This should prune the anything not needed by the export.

Hope this helps, Dave

On Sat, Dec 2, 2017 at 4:25 AM, Arie Pool <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have a Gramps database in which I have recorded all my family and the family of my wife. I have connected a lot of old photos and documents to the individuals and relationships.
When I do a gedcom export I can filter on tags on persons. Every family has his own tag. In that export all the photos and documents attached to an individual are also exported.
Is it possible to filter the photo’s and documents as well? The only filter I found for documents is the privacy filter, but that is somewhat to crude to be a filter.

I use an external program to create books. For example, when I create a book for my wife’s family I want other photos of my father then when I create a book for my family.

Arie

Virusvrij. www.avg.com

Re: Can I filter photos and documents in the Gedcom export?

Arie Pool
Hi Dave,
I know the filter you mention, but my problem is that I want to filter records linked to the selected person.
There are for exemple 20 photo’s or documents linked to a certain person, and I want only 10 of them selected for the output. I want to tag the documents and filter the tagged documents.

I cannot modify the filter “Do not include records not linked to a selected person." The person’s filters I can edit, but the reference-filter I can not edit. Maybe that is the main problem?

Arie

Re: Can I filter photos and documents in the Gedcom export?

Unfortunately there are no media filters that apply to exports. So to do your job you will have to make a multi-step process out of it.

The first step is to export the Persons of Interest to a Gramps XML.

Second Step import them into a new temporary family tree.

Third step use the media filters in the new family tree to select the tagged items you don't want in your final export. If you have tagged the items you want, then set up a filter with 'Return values that do not match the filter rules'.  And then delete them.

And lastly export that finished tree as desired.

By working in the copied data in the new temporary tree you can delete without concerns of losing anything important.  And when you are finished, you can delete the temporary tree.

Paul Culley

On Dec 2, 2017 7:25 AM, "Arie Pool" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Dave,
I know the filter you mention, but my problem is that I want to filter records linked to the selected person.
There are for exemple 20 photo’s or documents linked to a certain person, and I want only 10 of them selected for the output. I want to tag the documents and filter the tagged documents.

I cannot modify the filter “Do not include records not linked to a selected person." The person’s filters I can edit, but the reference-filter I can not edit. Maybe that is the main problem?

Arie

Re: Can I filter photos and documents in the Gedcom export?

Arie Pool
Hi Ron,
I tag all my media, and I would like a filter in the export that only
includes media with a certain tag.

But, there is a reply of Paul Cully advising to work with a database copy
and delete the media in the copy I don't want in the export. That works fine
for me

Arie

Re: Can I filter photos and documents in the Gedcom export?

Arie Pool
Hi Paul,
i’ve tried it, and it works fine. Your description suggests a lot of work, but it is very easy to do. The tags and filters are included in the XML-export.

Thank you for the answer.

Arie

Re: Can I filter photos and documents in the Gedcom export?

Hi Arie,

The only way to prevent a media file (or anything) attached to a valid person in the export filter is to take them off of the person (not a good option) or to Lock the items as private. This will only work if as part of the export filter it is set to exclude private items. The locking method has the advantage of keeping them attached to the person and you keep easy access to the items.

The alternative is to create the export (I would suggest the Gramps XML export) with these extra items, then reimport this file into a new empty database. Delete the items off of the people and then do your GEDCOM export on this database to get what you want. This method has the advantage of leaving your working database untouched. Just make sure which database you are on and manipulating. And as always backup your working database before making any of these manipulations.

Hope this helps. Dave