Can't Reopen Locked Database

Boris M Struk

Good morning,

My system details as follows:

Error Details:
===================

2652: ERROR: grampsgui.py: line 373: Error: cannot open '-'

System Information:
===================

Gramps version: GrampsAIO64-5.0.1-1
Python version: 3.6.4 (default, Jan 23 2018, 13:17:37)  [GCC 7.2.0 64 bit (AMD64)]
BSDDB version: 6.1.0 (6, 0, 30)
sqlite version: 3.21.0 (2.6.0)
LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
OS: Windows

GTK version    : 3.18.9
gobject version: 3.26.1
cairo version  : (1, 16, 1)
===================

Tried unlocking and despite all efforts the tree remains locked.

Please advise how to unlock.

Thanks

Boris

Re: Can't Reopen Locked Database

GRAMPS - User mailing list
This may seem like a silly question... but can a locked tree file be copied to a new name and be opened that way? That is, are the lock status tracking external to the tree & file system?

(By the way Boris, do you have automatical backups enabled? If so, you could always open the most recent of those.)

On Thu, Jan 3, 2019 at 10:02, Boris M Struk

[...]

enno
Op 03-01-19 om 17:30 schreef Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users:
> This may seem like a silly question... but can a locked tree file be
> copied to a new name and be opened that way? That is, are the lock
> status tracking external to the tree & file system?

Yes and no. If you copy a tree, i.e. the folder that has all DB files in
it, and put it in a place where Gramps can still find it, it will still
be locked, because the lock file is in that folder, so that will be
copied too, and Gramps will think that the copy is locked.

If you dare to experiment, you can try this, and remove the lock file
from the copy. If you do, I recommend that you also change the content
of the file name.txt, which controls the name that you see for this tree.

There is no guarantee, but messing with the copy is safer than with the
original, so if you want, you can try.

On 03/01/2019 16:30, Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users wrote:
> This may seem like a silly question... but can a locked tree file be
> copied to a new name and be opened that way?

Not a good idea.

See:

Op 03-01-19 om 19:55 schreef Nick Hall:
> On 03/01/2019 16:30, Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users wrote:
>> This may seem like a silly question... but can a locked tree file be
>> copied to a new name and be opened that way?
>
> Not a good idea.
>
> See:
>
> https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=8517

Ah, yes, that's one that I reported.

My guess is that a copy made with the OS's file manager would be ok
though. That is, if you know the way to the grampsdb folder.

Cheers,

Re: Can't Reopen Locked Database

Boris M Struk
No unfortunately I don't but IF I can retore this Tree, then I will ensure that auto backup is enabled.

The most recent backup is atleast 10 hours of intensive work behind so I would much prefer to have this unlocked.

Thanks,

Boris

______________________

Re: Can't Reopen Locked Database

GRAMPS - User mailing list
Boris,

After the replies from Nick & Enno and reading the associated bug report. I suggest an extra level of care when trying to recover the locked Tree.

Can you use the OS to copy the Tree folder to a USB Thumbdrive and experiment with that copied to a fresh install of Gramps using a separate PC? Gramps updates the Tree every time you open the files. So you could be moving further away from success with every failed attempt. The bug report mentioned other Trees being affected by attempts too.

Copy the USB Thumbdrive to the alternate PC & unmount the USB. Rename the Lock file there and see if the Tree can be opened if it's missing.

After a few failed approaches, flush that folder, restore from the USB and try a different approach. Once you have success (if it wasn't after a fresh restore) flush again, restore and repeat the successful approach. This way you'll have the fewest interventions between the locked & fixed Tree.

On Thu, Jan 3, 2019 at 17:52, Boris M Struk

Re: Can't Reopen Locked Database

Boris M Struk
Yes PROBLEM SOLVED.

I located the actual "Lock" file temporarily renamed it - rebooted and thank goodness all is good.

Thanks to those who provided input and support.

Boris

On 3 Jan 2019 at 18:54, Rich Lakey wrote:

[...]

The following section of this message contains a file attachment prepared for transmission using the Internet MIME message format. If you are using Pegasus Mail, or any other MIME-compliant system, you should be able to save it or view it from within your mailer. If you cannot, please ask your system administrator for assistance.   ---- File information -----------     File:  DEFAULT.BMP     Date:  21 Sep 2001, 14:59     Size:  358 bytes.     Type:  Unknown

Boris