Can't see the source

Michelle Engel
Hi all,

I have a problem with sources. Most people in my database have a source.
When I look at the sources and the references to a source, I can see all
people that have this source. But in the people view under sources I
can't see the source.

I hope this was not to confusing...

What can I do? Is this a known bug? Would something like
export/re-import help?

Thanks a lot,
Michelle

Re: Can't see the source

Stéphane Charette-2
On Nov 19, 2007 12:17 AM, Michelle Engel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a problem with sources. Most people in my database have a source.
> When I look at the sources and the references to a source, I can see all
> people that have this source.

I followed you OK up to here.  But then I lost you with the following sentence:

> But in the people view under sources I can't see the source.

Where in the "people view" do you think you should see the source?

Stéphane

Stéphane Charette schrieb:

> On Nov 19, 2007 12:17 AM, Michelle Engel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a problem with sources. Most people in my database have a source.
>> When I look at the sources and the references to a source, I can see all
>> people that have this source.
>
> I followed you OK up to here.  But then I lost you with the following sentence:
>
>> But in the people view under sources I can't see the source.
>
> Where in the "people view" do you think you should see the source?

In the people view (I mean, this is what I get when I double-click the
persons name, where I can edit the information. Perhaps "Edit
Person"-View would be better?) there are several tabs. Like Events,
Names and Sources. In this Source-Tab I miss the source.

When I connect a person to a source now, then I can see it. But I can't
see the sources that are already connected. Perhaps an import problem? I
imported the data long time and many versions ago.

Sorry, I think "People View" was the wrong word.

Michelle

Re: Can't see the source

Michelle Engel
Yes, I know. I searched through all events of the person, but there is
no source. In the source-view in the reference tab it tells the type:
"Person" or "Birth" or something. Most of my sources are "Person".

Michelle

Benny Malengier schrieb:
> the source can be attached to eg an attribute. You then would have to
> open the attribute tab, click on attribute, and see if the source is
> attached there. Same with some of the other fields (name, internet, ...)
>
> Benny

Re: Can't see the source

Try export to .gramps in 2.2.9, then import that in a new _empty_ database.

You can open the .gramps file as xml in a text editor and see where the source reference is by investigating the person information, see http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Generate_XML#How_do_I_uncompress_the_file.3F

Stéphane Charette schrieb:

> On Nov 19, 2007 12:17 AM, Michelle Engel < [hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a problem with sources. Most people in my database have a source.
>> When I look at the sources and the references to a source, I can see all
>> people that have this source.
>
> I followed you OK up to here.  But then I lost you with the following sentence:
>
>> But in the people view under sources I can't see the source.
>
> Where in the "people view" do you think you should see the source?

In the people view (I mean, this is what I get when I double-click the
persons name, where I can edit the information. Perhaps "Edit
Person"-View would be better?) there are several tabs. Like Events,
Names and Sources. In this Source-Tab I miss the source.

When I connect a person to a source now, then I can see it. But I can't
see the sources that are already connected. Perhaps an import problem? I
imported the data long time and many versions ago.

Sorry, I think "People View" was the wrong word.

Michelle

Re: Can't see the source

Michelle Engel
Hi Benny,

great help, thanks.

I found out, that the source reference is with the "Birth Name". In the
Edit-Person View the person has only one Name (in the upper part of the
dialog, above the tabs), the type is "Birth Name". In the "Name"-Tab
there is no entry. So I think this happened at the import. I imported
the data from PAF.

How can I repair it?

Here is the XML-code.

The first source (1) is the one I entered in PAF. This is the one I
can't see.

The second source (2) is a testsource I entered today in gramps. This
one I can see in the source-tab.

<person id="I0149" handle="_adf19e53779136077aa" change="1195462008">
       <gender>F</gender>
       <name type="Birth Name">
         <first>John</first>
         <last>Doe</last>
(1)     <sourceref hlink="_adf19e5268152801118"/>
       </name>
       <eventref hlink="_adf19e537876cb012bb" role="Primary"/>
       <eventref hlink="_adf19e537b36c473cb1" role="Primary"/>
       <eventref hlink="_adf19e537cc55b7205b" role="Primary"/>
       <parentin hlink="_adf19e537da51e2ff8a"/>
(2)     <sourceref hlink="_adf66b93abd543fbcdd"/>
     </person>

Thanks,
Michelle

Benny Malengier schrieb:

> Try export to .gramps in 2.2.9, then import that in a new _empty_ database.
>
> You can open the .gramps file as xml in a text editor and see where the
> source reference is by investigating the person information, see
> http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Generate_XML#How_do_I_uncompress_the_file.3F
>
> Benny
>
> 2007/11/19, Michelle Engel < [hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
>     Stéphane Charette schrieb:
>      > On Nov 19, 2007 12:17 AM, Michelle Engel < [hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>      >> Hi all,
>      >>
>      >> I have a problem with sources. Most people in my database have a
>     source.
>      >> When I look at the sources and the references to a source, I can
>     see all
>      >> people that have this source.
>      >
>      > I followed you OK up to here.  But then I lost you with the
>     following sentence:
>      >
>      >> But in the people view under sources I can't see the source.
>      >
>      > Where in the "people view" do you think you should see the source?
>
>     In the people view (I mean, this is what I get when I double-click the
>     persons name, where I can edit the information. Perhaps "Edit
>     Person"-View would be better?) there are several tabs. Like Events,
>     Names and Sources. In this Source-Tab I miss the source.
>
>     When I connect a person to a source now, then I can see it. But I can't
>     see the sources that are already connected. Perhaps an import problem? I
>     imported the data long time and many versions ago.
>
>     Sorry, I think "People View" was the wrong word.
>
>     Michelle

Re: Can't see the source

Benny Malengier
Hmm,

this might be not the best design of GRAMPS.
As this is the preferred name, you do not see the name in the Name tab. You need to go to the name editor of the preferred name, that is the edit icon button after prefix, to the left of the picture.

If you click on that button, you see the preferred name. Do you see the source there?

If so, perhaps do a feature request to somehow make it clear that the preferred name has a source or note attached to it. I have no idea how to visually indicate this (perhaps show preferred name also in the name tab??, or a color border around the icon ??). You can do feature requests on http://bugs.gramps-project.org

Benny Malengier schrieb:

> Try export to .gramps in 2.2.9, then import that in a new _empty_ database.
>
> You can open the .gramps file as xml in a text editor and see where the
> source reference is by investigating the person information, see
> http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Generate_XML#How_do_I_uncompress_the_file.3F
>
> Benny
>
> 2007/11/19, Michelle Engel < [hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
>     Stéphane Charette schrieb:
>      > On Nov 19, 2007 12:17 AM, Michelle Engel < [hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>      >> Hi all,
>      >>
>      >> I have a problem with sources. Most people in my database have a
>     source.
>      >> When I look at the sources and the references to a source, I can
>     see all
>      >> people that have this source.
>      >
>      > I followed you OK up to here.  But then I lost you with the
>     following sentence:
>      >
>      >> But in the people view under sources I can't see the source.
>      >
>      > Where in the "people view" do you think you should see the source?
>
>     In the people view (I mean, this is what I get when I double-click the
>     persons name, where I can edit the information. Perhaps "Edit
>     Person"-View would be better?) there are several tabs. Like Events,
>     Names and Sources. In this Source-Tab I miss the source.
>
>     When I connect a person to a source now, then I can see it. But I can't
>     see the sources that are already connected. Perhaps an import problem? I
>     imported the data long time and many versions ago.
>
>     Sorry, I think "People View" was the wrong word.
>
>     Michelle

Re: Can't see the source

Michelle Engel
Hi,

I found it! The preferred name has the source.

This is not the way I want my sources. So I think I won't do a request
to highlight the fact that the preferred name has a source. And I don't
think many people want to use this.

I will try to move my source-references. If I'm successfull, I will post it.

Michelle

Benny Malengier schrieb:

> [...]
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      >     Defy all challenges. Microsoft(R) Visual Studio 2005.
>      >     http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/vse0120000070mrt/direct/01/
>     <http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/vse0120000070mrt/direct/01/>
>      >     <http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/vse0120000070mrt/direct/01/>
>      >     _______________________________________________
>      >     Gramps-users mailing list
>      >     [hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>      >     <mailto:[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>      >     https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-users
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      > Defy all challenges. Microsoft(R) Visual Studio 2005.

Re: Can't see the source

Benny Malengier

2007/11/19, Michelle Engel <[hidden email]>:
Hi,

I found it! The preferred name has the source.

This is not the way I want my sources. So I think I won't do a request
to highlight the fact that the preferred name has a source. And I don't
think many people want to use this.

I will try to move my source-references. If I'm successfull, I will post it.

Note that you can drag and drop the source with the mouse.

You can also use the scratchpad for this.

Re: Can't see the source

Michelle Engel
I have my sources back! :-)

I don't know what happened and I don't think I will find it out. Perhaps
something in an old version.

I exported my file to GEDCOM and imported this in PAF. Then I exported
this to GEDCOM and reimported it into Gramps - and voila, I have my
sources back.

But know I have some other but smaller problems. PAF seems to export
some kind of ID and know every person has an event "None" with strange
values:

An example:

0 @I1000@ INDI
1 NAME XXX /XXX/
2 GIVN XXX
2 SURN XXX
1 SEX F
1 None 8BF21B4DEC65524C8A74126CC7F578A12518
1 FAMS @F392@
1 SOUR @S38@
1 CHAN
2 DATE 21 NOV 2007
3 TIME 21:57:47

Every family has an event _UID (followed by long number).

An example:

0 @F103@ FAM
1 HUSB @I245@
1 WIFE @I109@
1 MARR
2 DATE 24 JUN 1972
2 PLAC Dayton, Ohio
1 EVEN
2 TYPE _UID
1 EVEN
2 TYPE _UID DFD293C47A726C4FB8E6FE5D3B57448907AA
1 CHIL @I678@
1 CHIL @I197@
1 CHAN
2 DATE 21 NOV 2007
3 TIME 21:57:48

How can I delete all these unwanted events? It's boring and stupid to
delete them one by one in gramps (2216 persons and 832 families).
Unfortunately it's not possible to select more than one event in the
event list. Otherwise I could select all the unwanted events and delete
them all together.

PAF had some problems with importing the GEDCOM gramps created. Is there
anyone interested in the details? Should I make a (bug)report?

Thanks a lot,
Michelle

Benny Malengier schrieb:

> 2007/11/19, Michelle Engel <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     I found it! The preferred name has the source.
>
>     This is not the way I want my sources. So I think I won't do a request
>     to highlight the fact that the preferred name has a source. And I don't
>     think many people want to use this.
>
>     I will try to move my source-references. If I'm successfull, I will
>     post it.
>

> Note that you can drag and drop the source with the mouse.
>
> You can also use the scratchpad for this.
>
> Benny

Re: Can't see the source

Benny Malengier

2007/11/22, Michelle Engel <[hidden email]>:
[...]

Not really. Version 3.0 will create valid GEDCOM v 5, so problems in 2.2.x branch will not be solved anymore so as to concentrate developer effort.

To delete them, easiest is to use the GRAMPS XML and see how that is generated. Delete there is less error prone than in GEDCOM.
_UID is the universal ID, something some genealogy apps use for merging of equal people on import, but not supported by GRAMPS and not in the GEDCOM specification.
So in XML you delete all lines with _UID in them, you can use the sed command for that from command line: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-sed1.html
Without trying something like:

sed -e '/_UID/d' old_xml.gramps > new_xml.gramps

which will remove all lines with _UID in them. Note that you first must extract the .gramps file to a text file with eg ark or fileroller.