Cannot Start Gramps

David Liell-2
I have been running Gramps for about 2 weeks under Ubuntu Hardy without
problems. Now I cannot start up Gramps. It gets to 75% and just hangs.
Any suggestions welcome.

David

Re: Cannot Start Gramps

Stéphane Charette-2
On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 21:34, David Liell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have been running Gramps for about 2 weeks under Ubuntu Hardy without
> problems. Now I cannot start up Gramps. It gets to 75% and just hangs.
> Any suggestions welcome.

Does it print out an error message if you try and start "gramps" from
the command-line?

What version of GRAMPS?

Stéphane

Re: Cannot Start Gramps

OldAl
On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 03:26:05 Stéphane Charette wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 21:34, David Liell <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I have been running Gramps for about 2 weeks under Ubuntu Hardy without
> > problems. Now I cannot start up Gramps. It gets to 75% and just hangs.
> > Any suggestions welcome.
>
> Does it print out an error message if you try and start "gramps" from
> the command-line?
>
> What version of GRAMPS?
>
> Stéphane

Did you install any spellcheckers?  Apparently some spellcheckers are
suspected to adversely interact with gramps.  There does not seem to be any
more definite information about it.

OldAl.

Re: Cannot Start Gramps

David Liell-2
No spellcheckers installed.

I deleted the DB and created a new one. Then imported my Gedcom file and
all seems OK. It happened after I had backed up my /home using TAR,

David

Re: Cannot Start Gramps

Duncan Lithgow-2
2008/9/1 David Liell <[hidden email]>:
> No spellcheckers installed.
>
> I deleted the DB and created a new one. Then imported my Gedcom file and
> all seems OK. It happened after I had backed up my /home using TAR,
A gedcom file is not a full copy of your database. Backups should
always be in the GRAMPS XML format (.gramps).

Duncan

Re: Cannot Start Gramps

2008/9/1 David Liell <[hidden email]>
No spellcheckers installed.

I deleted the DB and created a new one. Then imported my Gedcom file and
all seems OK. It happened after I had backed up my /home using TAR,

David, is this version 2.2.10 or 3.0.1?
For 2.2.10, in the directory you saved the grdb file, you find also a .backup.gramps file with your data. Use that instead of the gedcom

For 3.0.1 something like that should not be needed as there is a repair function in the family tree manager.

Well, you really should say which version. As you say you took a backup, let it be known the directory ~/.gramps contains data essential for GRAMPS and the databases, so backup that too, and _don't_ delete that dir if you don't have your data in .gramps xml files.

Benny

David

Re: Cannot Start Gramps

David Liell-2
Many Thanks, Duncan. I found the Doc on backups and have now created an
XML backup in case it fails again.

David

Re: Cannot Start Gramps

David Liell-2
Thanks, Benny. I've read the Doc now and it makes more sense.
However..., Gramps should always start regardless of the DB condition.
If it's stuffed, then issue a message to the user. Otherwise, where does
the user start?

Users should not have to resort to a command line start. I suspect that
most Gramps users struggle with Linux command lines and tend to use a
graphical interface. Developers please note.

I still think it's a great package.

David