Cannot change Age display precision

Peter van Rijn
Hello group,

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but every time I try to change the
Age display precision from "Years" to "Years, months" it returns to the
original, default setting.
Would changing the setting, click "Close" and then restart the
application be sufficient? Or do I have to do something extra, like
clicking an OK or Save-buttun, which I obviously don't see/find.

If this appears to be a bug, is there another way to change this setting?

Kind regards,
Peter

Re: Cannot change Age display precision

Helmut Kudsk

bei mir auch!

Beste Grüße
Helmut

DeepL translation from German to English:

with me, too!

Best regards
Helmut

GRAMPS: GrampsAIO64-5.1.1-1
Python: 3.6.4 (default, Jan 23 2018, 13:17:37)  ...
BSDDB: 6.1.0 (6, 0, 30)
sqlite: 3.21.0 (2.6.0)
LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
BS: Windows

Re: Cannot change Age display precision

Dave Scheipers
As a short term solution. The age setting is stored in gramps.ini in
the user folders.

in windows this is in
c:\users\%username%\appadata\roaming\gramps\gramps51\gramps.ini

While Gramps is not open, modify the line under [preferences]
age-display-precision=3

1 = years
2 = year month
3 = year month day

On Sun, Oct 6, 2019 at 4:43 AM Helmut Kudsk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> bei mir auch!
>
> Beste Grüße
> Helmut
>
> DeepL translation from German to English:
>
> with me, too!
>
> Best regards
> Helmut
>
> GRAMPS: GrampsAIO64-5.1.1-1
> Python: 3.6.4 (default, Jan 23 2018, 13:17:37)  ...
> BSDDB: 6.1.0 (6, 0, 30)
> sqlite: 3.21.0 (2.6.0)
> LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
> BS: Windows
>

> --
> Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

Re: Cannot change Age display precision

Peter van Rijn
Ah, thanks David, this works like a charm!

Peter

Op 6-10-2019 om 14:28 schreef Dave Scheipers:

> As a short term solution. The age setting is stored in gramps.ini in
> the user folders.
>
> in windows this is in
> c:\users\%username%\appadata\roaming\gramps\gramps51\gramps.ini
>
> While Gramps is not open, modify the line under [preferences]
> age-display-precision=3
>
> 1 = years
> 2 = year month
> 3 = year month day
>
> On Sun, Oct 6, 2019 at 4:43 AM Helmut Kudsk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> bei mir auch!
>>
>> Beste Grüße
>> Helmut
>>
>> DeepL translation from German to English:
>>
>> with me, too!
>>
>> Best regards
>> Helmut
>>
>> GRAMPS: GrampsAIO64-5.1.1-1
>> Python: 3.6.4 (default, Jan 23 2018, 13:17:37)  ...
>> BSDDB: 6.1.0 (6, 0, 30)
>> sqlite: 3.21.0 (2.6.0)
>> LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
>> BS: Windows
>>

>> --
>> Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

Re: Cannot change Age display precision

Thanks Dave & Sam!

Added Dave's workaround to the bug report and a Bug Report notice to the wiki section describing this feature.

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_5.1_Wiki_Manual_-_Settings#Display

-Brian

On Sun, Oct 6, 2019 at 7:30, Dave Scheipers
As a short term solution. The age setting is stored in gramps.ini in
the user folders.

in windows this is in
c:\users\%username%\appadata\roaming\gramps\gramps51\gramps.ini

While Gramps is not open, modify the line under [preferences]
age-display-precision=3

1 = years
2 = year month
3 = year month day

Re: Cannot change Age display precision

Helmut Kudsk
Hello Dave,

No, it does not work for me.
Manual change in gramps.ini will be overwritten when Gramps starts.

Helmut

Re: Cannot change Age display precision

Peter van Rijn
It doesn't get overwritten here!

Peter

Op 6-10-2019 om 22:23 schreef Helmut Kudsk:

> Hello Dave,
>
> No, it does not work for me.
> Manual change in gramps.ini will be overwritten when Gramps starts.
>
> Helmut
>

> --
> Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

Re: Cannot change Age display precision

From my understanding, when Gramps starts, it reads the INI file
looking for all the parameters that you have set from the previous
session. At the end of the session, when closing, Gramps writes to the
INI file storing all the settings from that session Gramps used.

So with Gramps NOT open and running, altering the INI file is tricking
the next session of Gramps that the last time you used Gramps, you had
the age-display-precision=3 (or wherever you want)   If you attempt to
alter the INI file with Gramps running, the INI will keep overwriting
the age-display-precision to the stuck setting.

The only other things I can think of is making sure that you are
altering the gramp.ini file in the folder gramps51. Each version of
Gramps has their own folders. gramps50, gramps42...going back through
time.  The other ting to check is making sure you actually saved the
file with the change.  How many times do we all hit cancel instead of
save.

Other than that, you may have to wait for the fix to be added to the
next release.

Sorry, Dave

On Sun, Oct 6, 2019 at 4:24 PM Helmut Kudsk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Dave,
>
> No, it does not work for me.
> Manual change in gramps.ini will be overwritten when Gramps starts.
>
> Helmut
>

> --
> Sent from: http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/GRAMPS-User-f1807095.html

Re: Cannot change Age display precision

Dave Scheipers
I did some exploring last night and found the code that changed from v5.0.2.

Not sure if reverting to the 5.0.2 code is what will ultimately happen
but you can alter your configure.py program file to get the age
preference working again. In the bug, I detail which lines need to be
changed.  I had a problem getting the indents to show up in the bug.
If you do alter the program file, be careful to maintain indents.