Quantcast

Cannot import a valid CEDCOM file - says CEDCOM is destroyed

Cannot import a valid CEDCOM file - says CEDCOM is destroyed

torkild@linde-hansen.dk
Hi
I have great problems getting started with Gramps!!

I have a newly GEDCOM-file (created by MyHeritage - and it can be imported into a number of other tools! - I has positive tested this).
But Gramps refuse to import this file. After having imported 44% of the file I get a dialog box saying that the "GEDCOM-file is destroyed. Look like it has been shortened".
I have not been able to find any more detailed information. (Where should I look for details???)

My GEDCOM file contain app 6500 individuals.
I'm running on a windows 7 platform and uses the Danish version.

How do I overcome this problem ?

Regards
Torkild

Re: Cannot import a valid CEDCOM file - says CEDCOM is destroyed

Tim Lyons
Administrator
The message should be
"Your GEDCOM file is corrupted. "
"It appears to have been truncated."

This should mean that the GEDCOM file did not end with the correct
0 TRLR
line.

Could you open the file (in notebook or something) and check whether it ends with the correct trailer line?

Are you able to look at the console output to see if there are any error messages there? Sorry, but I don't know how to do that with the windows version, hopefully someone else will reply with advice on how to do that.

Re: Cannot import a valid CEDCOM file - says CEDCOM is destroyed

torkild@linde-hansen.dk
Hi
This this is the message I get!

I opened my GEDCOM in an editor and it contains a "0 TRLR" as trailer line.

I then created a small sample GEDCOM file with only a few persons. This sample file is imported correctly and I'm able to print reports. I therefore assume that my installation of Gramps is OK.

So I'm back to that Gramps cannot import my "valid" GEDCOM-file.

Is there a way of getting access to "console output" on windows in order to find out the exact line in the CEDCOM file that causes Gramps to STOP ???

Regards
Torkild