Cannot open database error

GRAMPS - User mailing list
I'm getting an inaccurate 'Cannot open database' error. The automated backup saved my butt without any work being lost.  A big 'thank you!' to the developers!

However, my question is about the suggested cause. It doesn't seem accurate. Do you think the recent addition of for multiple database engines means the spectrum of potential errors changed?

Here's how I got to my failure. I understand a new release candidate is being considered... so it seemed a good time to do maintenance on the tree. After doing a RestorePoint backup, I ran each tool in the Tools->Family Tree repair submenu. Then started work again after Reopening the Tree. The next day, I had a lockup while pasting an 88kb text message copied from Thunderbird.

After about an hour of being busy, I had to use Task Manager to end the Gramps process.
After breaking the lock, the following message pops when trying to open the 8mb tree:

With the specific error: (-30973, 'BDB0087 DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery -- BDB1544 process-ptivate: unable to find environment')

Again, I'm not needing to recover this corrupted file. A good backup occurred about 30 minutes before the failure and imported just fine.

Thanks,
-Brian

Re: Cannot open database error

Nick Hall
On 23/06/2019 19:40, Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users wrote:
After about an hour of being busy, I had to use Task Manager to end the Gramps process.
After breaking the lock, the following message pops when trying to open the 8mb tree:

With the specific error: (-30973, 'BDB0087 DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery -- BDB1544 process-ptivate: unable to find environment')

This may be caused by opening the database with two processes simultaneously.  Perhaps task manager didn't properly kill the first process?

No developer has ever been able to reproduce this error.  This is one of the reasons we are moving to SQLite.

Re: Cannot open database error

GRAMPS - User mailing list
Thank you for the quick reply! That sounds like an excellent reason for a move.

-Brian

On Sun, Jun 23, 2019 at 13:51, Nick Hall