Quantcast

Census Editor and Family Tree linking

PeterPower
Census Gramplet Editor is an example of a craftsman's work in code and helps. Anyhow I like to come up with one practical topic:

I try to keep Editor's information true to Census (eg. "w. Maria") but in the Tree she has complete name ("Maria Eriksson"). If I afterwards open the Census extract in Editor,  a handicap is I have no link from Editor to Family Tree. Who was this Maria and what is her complete name? How to get combined information in copy print?

The long way (Citation search>Event>References) is available, but would it not be more effective to have  new dynamic columns in Census Editor  "Person's name and ID in Family Tree" and maybe to get  "Open this person in Person Editor" choice in Editor row's context menu ?

Opinions?

Pekka

Re: Census Editor and Family Tree linking

Nick Hall-6
On 30/01/14 09:47, PeterPower wrote:
> Census Gramplet Editor is an example of a craftsman's work in code and helps.
> Anyhow I like to come up with one practical topic:
>
> I try to keep Editor's information true to Census (eg. "w. Maria") but in
> the Tree she has complete name ("Maria Eriksson"). If I afterwards open the
> Census extract in Editor,  a handicap is I have no link from Editor to
> Family Tree. Who was this Maria and what is her complete name? How to get
> combined information in copy print?

The editor is primarily intended as a tool to enter information as it is
found on the census.  There is a report for displaying and printing
census details.

Do we need a census viewer?

> The long way (Citation search>Event>References) is available, but would it
> not be more effective to have  new dynamic columns in Census Editor
> "Person's name and ID in Family Tree" and maybe to get  "Open this person in
> Person Editor" choice in Editor row's context menu ?

In previous versions of the editor you could open the person editor for
a selected row.  However, there are potential problems allowing this.

When the person editor is opened it takes a copy of the record. When you
click "OK" it saves it back to the database.  The census editor also
edits the same records.  So if you open a person editor, make changes in
the census editor, and then save changes in the person editor, you will
lose your recent changes.

We could display more information in the tooltips.  I could move the
current tooltips onto the headings, and then display a full name and ID
in the name tooltips.

Re: Census Editor and Family Tree linking

PeterPower
I see the concurrent editing problem but actually I proposed to fetch information from Person in Family Tree into dedicated fields in Editor rows. Remains then concurrency editing problem?

Anyhow, I started to test Census Report and noticed interesting features. See the attachment. Why are the people in Report not in same order than Editor has? Why is Ammatti (Profession) data overwritten with Names from Family Tree?

As a positive aspect (them shall we always have!) I learned that Report added the names from Family Tree. Nice feature. Could the birth and death days be added as well? Maybe optional.

Last remark or better question. How can a census snapshot be opened afterward in Census Editor? I can not figure out should I proceed through event, citation, people or ... The Editor Dialog has no search button.

Regards

Pekka

Census Gramplet Test.pdf (267K)
Download Attachment

On 04/02/14 13:39, PeterPower wrote:
> I see the concurrent editing problem but actually I proposed to fetch
> information from Person in Family Tree into dedicated fields in Editor
> rows. Remains then concurrency editing problem?

You have to be careful if you have a person editor open at the same time
as the census editor.

> Anyhow, I started to test Census Report and noticed interesting
> features. See the attachment. Why are the people in Report not in same
> order than Editor has? Why is Ammatti (Profession) data overwritten
> with Names from Family Tree?

It looks like you are using an old version.  Try running the latest version.

I don't think that many people use the report.  Some of the census
definitions have a large number of columns.

If we add extra columns we should really define them in the xml.

> As a positive aspect (them shall we always have!) I learned that
> Report added the names from Family Tree. Nice feature. Could the birth
> and death days be added as well? Maybe optional.

In the earlier versions the name was taken from the database, rather
than entered by the user.  The newer versions just use the name in the
database as a default.

> Last remark or better question. How can a census snapshot be opened
> afterward in Census Editor? I can not figure out should I proceed
> through event, citation, people or ... The Editor Dialog has no search
> button.

Try adding the census gramplet to the bottombar of the person view.

Re: Census Editor and Family Tree linking

PeterPower
I use CensusReport.py version 1.0.29. To my knowledge latest?

I continued testing Census Reporting. Noticed it assumes that column "Name" is the first one and fills it with person name from Family Tree.  Exchanging my customs.xml so that first columns began "Name" and second column "Name in Census" I reached my goal; could type in person name as it is in Census document and got also person name from Family Tree (static, no updated after possible changes in Family Tree).

This first column assumption is a feature and should be documented. But showstopper remains; census report does not publish people in same order as they were typed in. Actually is it not a bug?

On 13/02/14 18:31, PeterPower wrote:
> I use CensusReport.py version 1.0.29. To my knowledge latest?

The gramps34 version contains the new data entry grid widget, but the
gramps40 version is fairly up to date.  I'll put the latest changes into
gramps40 and master.

> I continued testing Census Reporting. Noticed it assumes that column "Name"
> is the first one and fills it with person name from Family Tree.  Exchanging
> my customs.xml so that first columns began "Name" and second column "Name in
> Census" I reached my goal; could type in person name as it is in Census
> document and got also person name from Family Tree (static, no updated after
> possible changes in Family Tree).

This is a bug.  In the early versions the name was taken from the family
tree, rather than entered by the user.  In later versions the family
tree name should only be used as a default.

It should be easy to fix.  I don't think many people use the census
report, which is probably why it hasn't been reported before.

> This first column assumption is a feature and should be documented. But
> showstopper remains; census report does not publish people in same order as
> they were typed in. Actually is it not a bug?

They are in the correct order for me.  Check the "Order" attributes in
the event reference objects - they should be row numbers.  The key
"Order" will be translated, and should also be flagged as private so
that it doesn't appear in reports.

Re: Census Editor and Family Tree linking

PeterPower
Nick,

I have checked all Order attributes and found nothing to correct.
Provisionally I also used german translation of censusreport.py and saw no difference. Then I returned back to english censusreport.py and run report with it. But the basic problem remains, people in report are in wrong order.

In case you have time to look closer at my report order problem I put in Dropbox a sample of 75 people recorded from Finnish 1900 Census  (Henkikirja 1900). The file can be imported into Gramps Family Tree as such. The Dropbox link is

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/48614594/FinnishCensus1900_test.gramps

Peter

windows 7 and Gramps 4.0.3-4

Re: Census Editor and Family Tree linking

Nick Hall-6
Peter,

Sorry, I forgot about you.

I have committed a couple of bug fixes for the census report, and also
the new entry grid I already had in gramps34.

Let me know if this fixes your problem.

Nick.