Census Gramplet

J. Allen Crider-2
I have just recently started using the census gramplet addon and I have
a couple of questions about it.

1.  What is the best way to use the gramplet for U.S. federal census
data for years before 1850?  I would like to have the census event
shared between the family members represented, but I'm not sure what the
best way to do that is for those early years.

2.  Has anyone worked on adding state census data to the gramplet or is
there documentation on how to add a new census?  I have data from Iowa
and Missouri, as well as a few other states, and it would be nice to use
the gramplet for those as well.

Thanks,
Allen Crider

Re: Census Gramplet

DS Blank
On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 6:36 AM, J. Allen Crider <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have just recently started using the census gramplet addon and I have
a couple of questions about it.

1.  What is the best way to use the gramplet for U.S. federal census
data for years before 1850?  I would like to have the census event
shared between the family members represented, but I'm not sure what the
best way to do that is for those early years.

2.  Has anyone worked on adding state census data to the gramplet or is
there documentation on how to add a new census?  I have data from Iowa
and Missouri, as well as a few other states, and it would be nice to use
the gramplet for those as well.

Have you seen the documentation:

and the links to particular example countries?

Although, none of those links say how to create new census forms. But it is fairly easy, and it would be great if you donate those back to Gramps if you create them. You just need to edit the census XML file named "census.xml". This will be found in different places on different operating systems. On Windows, it might be in a place like:

C:\Users\yourid\AppData\Roaming\gramps\gramps34\plugins\Census\census.xml

You can copy a section in that file, change the parts to match the new census details (id, title, etc) add the new columns, and then restart Gramps. (We should document this process on the wiki, hint, hint.)

Hope that helps,

-Doug

Thanks,
Allen Crider

Re: Census Gramplet

link
Doug,

I'd like to try playing with the census.xml file, but I must be a bit of an idiot.  I cannot find it on my mac let alone the plugins directory.  The census gramplet is working within Gramps so I know I have it someplace.  Any idea where it is?

I am running:
GRAMPS: 3.4.2-1 (as reported from by Gramps > About, but I am fairly sure it is 3.4.2-2)
Python: 2.7.3 (default, Dec 26 2012, 15:10:43) [...
BSDDB: 4.8.4.2 (4, 8, 30)
LANG: en_US
OS: Darwin

on OS X, 10.8.2

Thank you,
Doug

On Jan 26, 2013, at 4:33 AM, Doug Blank <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I had looked at the documentation, but I'm still not sure what is a good
way to handle census data from before 1850.  Beginning in 1850, U.S.
census records had a line for each person.  However, for 1840 and
earlier, there was only one line per household listing the number of
people in various age groups.  If I enter it into census gramplet that
way, it creates an event for one person.  Is anyone else sharing the
event for other members of the household?

I don't mind working on adding information for state census records to
the census.xml file as it is convenient, but I didn't want to do it if
others had already done so.  Where would I submit new census forms when
I get them done?

Allen

On 01/26/2013 06:33 AM, Doug Blank wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 6:36 AM, J. Allen Crider
> <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     I have just recently started using the census gramplet addon and I have
>     a couple of questions about it.
>
>     1.  What is the best way to use the gramplet for U.S. federal census
>     data for years before 1850?  I would like to have the census event
>     shared between the family members represented, but I'm not sure what the
>     best way to do that is for those early years.
>
>     2.  Has anyone worked on adding state census data to the gramplet or is
>     there documentation on how to add a new census?  I have data from Iowa
>     and Missouri, as well as a few other states, and it would be nice to use
>     the gramplet for those as well.
>

> Have you seen the documentation:
>
> http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Census
> http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Census_Addons
>
> and the links to particular example countries?
>
> Although, none of those links say how to create new census forms. But it
> is fairly easy, and it would be great if you donate those back to Gramps
> if you create them. You just need to edit the census XML file named
> "census.xml". This will be found in different places on different
> operating systems. On Windows, it might be in a place like:
>
> C:\Users\yourid\AppData\Roaming\gramps\gramps34\plugins\Census\census.xml
>
> You can copy a section in that file, change the parts to match the new
> census details (id, title, etc) add the new columns, and then restart
> Gramps. (We should document this process on the wiki, hint, hint.)
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> -Doug
>
>     Thanks,
>     Allen Crider

Re: Census Gramplet

Brad Rogers
On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 12:55:40 -0800
Lingenbrink Doug <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Lingenbrink,

>I'd like to try playing with the census.xml file, but I must be a bit
>of an idiot.  I cannot find it on my mac let alone the plugins
>directory.  The census gramplet is working within Gramps so I know I
>have it someplace.  Any idea where it is?

IDK how the Gramps directory structure works on a Mac, but in Linux the
Census Gramplet files are located under
~/.gramps/grampsXX/plugins/Census, where '~' means the user's home
directory and 'XX' is two digits representing the Gramps version (in my
case they are 34).

--
 Regards  _
Early morning when I wake up, I look like Kiss but without the make up

Re: Census Gramplet

Brad Rogers
On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 16:09:27 -0600
"J. Allen Crider" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello J.,

>census records had a line for each person.  However, for 1840 and
>earlier, there was only one line per household listing the number of
>people in various age groups.  If I enter it into census gramplet that
>way, it creates an event for one person.  Is anyone else sharing the
>event for other members of the household?

If there's only one line per household, you cannot know with any
certainty who is staying there on census night.  As such, adding data to
anybody other than the person named(1) in the census return is
speculative.

(1) That's assuming anybody is named at all.  IDK, since I have never
viewed an 1840, or earlier, US census return.

--
 Regards  _
Walking through town is quite scary

Re: Census Gramplet

link
Thanks Brad,

My mistake was trusting Spotlight (OS X's indexed search of all discs) would find all files.   It doesn't.

For those that care, on my Mac the gramps configuration directory is in /Users/<user_name>/Library/Application Support/gramps/grampsXX

And a free OS X, (allegedly) search everything application is EasyFind.

Doug

On Jan 27, 2013, at 3:29 AM, Brad Rogers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 12:55:40 -0800
> Lingenbrink Doug <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Lingenbrink,
>
>> I'd like to try playing with the census.xml file, but I must be a bit
>> of an idiot.  I cannot find it on my mac let alone the plugins
>> directory.  The census gramplet is working within Gramps so I know I
>> have it someplace.  Any idea where it is?
>
> IDK how the Gramps directory structure works on a Mac, but in Linux the
> Census Gramplet files are located under
> ~/.gramps/grampsXX/plugins/Census, where '~' means the user's home
> directory and 'XX' is two digits representing the Gramps version (in my
> case they are 34).
>
> --
> Regards  _
>         / )           "The blindingly obvious is
>        / _)rad        never immediately apparent"
> Early morning when I wake up, I look like Kiss but without the make up
> Strong - Robbie Williams

Re: Census Gramplet

Brad Rogers
On Sun, 27 Jan 2013 13:17:51 -0800
Lingenbrink Doug <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Lingenbrink,

>Thanks Brad,

You're welcome.

>My mistake was trusting Spotlight (OS X's indexed search of all discs)
>would find all files.   It doesn't.

For Mac users, that's handy to know.

--
 Regards  _
I'll tell you something, I think that you should know

Re: Census Gramplet

Nick Hall-6
On 26/01/13 22:09, J. Allen Crider wrote:
> I don't mind working on adding information for state census records to
> the census.xml file as it is convenient, but I didn't want to do it if
> others had already done so.  Where would I submit new census forms when
> I get them done?

If you email the xml to me or the list, then I'll commit it to the
repository.