Change of Surname

Keith Jacobs
I have an individual whose birth name was

Given Name 1, Given name 2, Surname

But was also known as

Given Name 1, Given Name 2 as Surname.

I have used the Name Editor but have not got the desired result as he is
now shown as

Given name 1, Given name 2, Surname, Given Name 2

I have looked for, unsuccessfully, in the User Manual as to how to do
this correctly

So can someone please send me a link to the appropriate manual page.

Thank you!

--
Regards
Keith Jacobs

Re: Change of Surname

Dave Scheipers
Hi Keith

So to be clear the person was born as

John Michael Smith

and sometimes known as John Michael

but now

John Michael Smith Michael

Try this... using the name editor using John Michael as the Given
name, Smith as the Surname and then adding a second Surname as
Michael.  There will be a Connector field. Leaving it blank adds a
space between the surnames but you can add an appropriate symbol if
needed.

I would still add each of name configurations as an alternative names
with appropriate types. You can add dates to the alternative name or
notes explaining when he used the names; ie "He went by just John
Michael in his twenties and thirties" or something like that.

Dave

On Wed, Jan 1, 2020 at 8:15 AM Keith Jacobs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have an individual whose birth name was
>
> Given Name 1, Given name 2, Surname
>
> But was also known as
>
> Given Name 1, Given Name 2 as Surname.
>
> I have used the Name Editor but have not got the desired result as he is
> now shown as
>
> Given name 1, Given name 2, Surname, Given Name 2
>
> I have looked for, unsuccessfully, in the User Manual as to how to do
> this correctly
>
> So can someone please send me a link to the appropriate manual page.
>
> Thank you!
>
> --
> Regards
> Keith Jacobs

Re: Change of Surname

Keith Jacobs
Hi Dave

Yes that is the exact scenario.

I think I need to see examples as I have tried to do as you suggested but it has not been successful.
--
Sent from my Android phone with GMX Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
On 01/01/2020, 13:56 Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Keith

So to be clear the person was born as

John Michael Smith

and sometimes known as John Michael

but now

John Michael Smith Michael

Try this... using the name editor using John Michael as the Given
name, Smith as the Surname and then adding a second Surname as
Michael. There will be a Connector field. Leaving it blank adds a
space between the surnames but you can add an appropriate symbol if
needed.

I would still add each of name configurations as an alternative names
with appropriate types. You can add dates to the alternative name or
notes explaining when he used the names; ie "He went by just John
Michael in his twenties and thirties" or something like that.

Dave

On Wed, Jan 1, 2020 at 8:15 AM Keith Jacobs <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have an individual whose birth name was
>
> Given Name 1, Given name 2, Surname
>
> But was also known as
>
> Given Name 1, Given Name 2 as Surname.
>
> I have used the Name Editor but have not got the desired result as he is
> now shown as
>
> Given name 1, Given name 2, Surname, Given Name 2
>
> I have looked for, unsuccessfully, in the User Manual as to how to do
> this correctly
>
> So can someone please send me a link to the appropriate manual page.
>
> Thank you!
>
> --
> Regards
> Keith Jacobs

Re: Change of Surname

enno

Hi Keith,

Yes that is the exact scenario.

I think I need to see examples as I have tried to do as you suggested but it has not been successful.

I can't give examples with screenshots, because I use Gramps in Dutch, but the process is quite simple. You can add names in the Names tab of the Edit Person dialog, and choose which one is shown as the primary name.

Adding names means that you enter John Michael as an alternative to John Michael Smith, and forget about messing with name parts. I'm aware that this feels kind of redundant, but it is the easiest, just like Dave wrote.

Cheers,

Re: Change of Surname

Dave Scheipers
Hi Enno

I sent Keith screenshots off list with the link to the name editor wiki

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_5.1_Wiki_Manual_-_Entering_and_editing_data%3A_detailed_-_part_3#Name_Editor