Changing media type

Philip Weiss
I just noticed that I have a number of media items where the type is listed as image/pjpeg rather than image/jpeg.  They are all images that I added back when I was using Gramps on Windows.

I can changed the type to the correct image/jpeg by manually opening the media record and re-selecting the image file from the "Select a Media File" dialog.  After doing that and saving, it's all kosher.

However, that's a bit tedious.  I'm wondering if there's a way to fix those media records short of manually re-selecting or uncompressing a .gramps file and doing a search and replace.

Has anyone run across this before?

Phil.

Re: Changing media type

enno
Phil,

> I just noticed that I have a number of media items where the type is
> listed as image/pjpeg rather than image/jpeg. They are all images that
> I added back when I was using Gramps on Windows.
>
> I can changed the type to the correct image/jpeg by manually opening
> the media record and re-selecting the image file from the "Select a
> Media File" dialog.  After doing that and saving, it's all kosher.
>
> However, that's a bit tedious.  I'm wondering if there's a way to fix
> those media records short of manually re-selecting or uncompressing a
> .gramps file and doing a search and replace.
>
> Has anyone run across this before?
Yes. I have images that were imported from Ancestry/FTM that appear as
Unknown, and should be image/jpeg. I would like one of the existing
media tools to correct this.

You can add a feature request on our bug tracker, if you want.

regards,

Re: Changing media type

paul womack
Enno Borgsteede wrote:

> Phil,
>> I just noticed that I have a number of media items where the type is
>> listed as image/pjpeg rather than image/jpeg. They are all images that
>> I added back when I was using Gramps on Windows.
>>
>> I can changed the type to the correct image/jpeg by manually opening
>> the media record and re-selecting the image file from the "Select a
>> Media File" dialog.  After doing that and saving, it's all kosher.
>>
>> However, that's a bit tedious.  I'm wondering if there's a way to fix
>> those media records short of manually re-selecting or uncompressing a
>> .gramps file and doing a search and replace.
>>
>> Has anyone run across this before?
> Yes. I have images that were imported from Ancestry/FTM that appear as
> Unknown, and should be image/jpeg. I would like one of the existing
> media tools to correct this.
>
> You can add a feature request on our bug tracker, if you want.

Another use for bulk edit?:-)

  BugBear

Re: Changing media type

enno
Paul,

> Enno Borgsteede wrote:
>> Phil,
>>> I just noticed that I have a number of media items where the type is
>>> listed as image/pjpeg rather than image/jpeg. They are all images that
>>> I added back when I was using Gramps on Windows.
>>>
>>> I can changed the type to the correct image/jpeg by manually opening
>>> the media record and re-selecting the image file from the "Select a
>>> Media File" dialog.  After doing that and saving, it's all kosher.
>>>
>>> However, that's a bit tedious.  I'm wondering if there's a way to fix
>>> those media records short of manually re-selecting or uncompressing a
>>> .gramps file and doing a search and replace.
>>>
>>> Has anyone run across this before?
>> Yes. I have images that were imported from Ancestry/FTM that appear as
>> Unknown, and should be image/jpeg. I would like one of the existing
>> media tools to correct this.
>>
>> You can add a feature request on our bug tracker, if you want.
>
> Another use for bulk edit?:-)
Not this time. I like to have it for names and place titles, but in my
own media, I found a couple where unknown was actually html, not jpeg,
so a bulk edit or replace would have failed.

I need to add that I followed Phil's method by sorting media by type,
and re-selecting all files of type unknown. I had like 50 or so, so
doing that manually was faster than adding code to the media verify tool.

I also found that the image/pjpeg type is added when you select jpeg
files with 3.4.9 on Windows. Doing the same with 4.2.3 gives image/jpeg
which is right. So, for anyone coming from 3.4 on Windows, a bulk
replace done in the .gramps file is most probably the quickest solution
anyway.

cheers,

Re: Changing media type

On 04/14/2016 10:21 AM, Enno Borgsteede wrote:

> Paul,
>> Enno Borgsteede wrote:
>>> Phil,

>>> Yes. I have images that were imported from Ancestry/FTM that appear as
>>> Unknown, and should be image/jpeg. I would like one of the existing
>>> media tools to correct this.
>>>
>>> You can add a feature request on our bug tracker, if you want.
>> Another use for bulk edit?:-)
> Not this time. I like to have it for names and place titles, but in my
> own media, I found a couple where unknown was actually html, not jpeg,
> so a bulk edit or replace would have failed.
>
> I need to add that I followed Phil's method by sorting media by type,
> and re-selecting all files of type unknown. I had like 50 or so, so
> doing that manually was faster than adding code to the media verify tool.
>
> I also found that the image/pjpeg type is added when you select jpeg
> files with 3.4.9 on Windows. Doing the same with 4.2.3 gives image/jpeg
> which is right. So, for anyone coming from 3.4 on Windows, a bulk
> replace done in the .gramps file is most probably the quickest solution
> anyway.

Just as an FYI, it turn's out that image/pjpeg is what IE uses (used?) for
progressive jpeg files.  Of course, it *should* use regular old image/jpeg.

You can create a new mime type by following the instructions here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/30931/register-file-extensions-mime-types-in-linux

--
"I compare what the data tells me.  I don't do things by votes or authority."
Lawrence Krauss