Changing paths on media objects

Stefan Björk
Hello list,

I have just copied my Gramps database to another computere with another
user name. This causes problems with the media database, since the
stored (absolute) paths no longer is correct. However, I can't find a
way to edit them.

Stefan

Re: Changing paths on media objects

Don Allingham
Stefan,

Which version of GRAMPS are you using?

Don

On Sun, 2005-06-26 at 08:30 +0200, Stefan Björk wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I have just copied my Gramps database to another computere with another
> user name. This causes problems with the media database, since the
> stored (absolute) paths no longer is correct. However, I can't find a
> way to edit them.
>
> Stefan

Re: Changing paths on media objects

Stefan Björk
> Which version of GRAMPS are you using?

I'm using version 2.0.3-1, rpm version on Fedora Core 3.

Stefan

Re: Changing paths on media objects

Stian Jordet
On Sun, 2005-06-26 at 08:30 +0200, Stefan Björk wrote:
> Hello list,
> I have just copied my Gramps database to another computere with another
> user name. This causes problems with the media database, since the
> stored (absolute) paths no longer is correct. However, I can't find a
> way to edit them.

This makes a very good example why I'd like to have the pictures in the
database :)

Best regards,
Stian

Re: Changing paths on media objects

Stefan Björk
>>I have just copied my Gramps database to another computere with another
>>user name. This causes problems with the media database, since the
>>stored (absolute) paths no longer is correct. However, I can't find a
>>way to edit them.
>

> This makes a very good example why I'd like to have the pictures in the
> database :)

Pictures are big things which requires blob fields. Handling this with a
file database would probably be most ineffective compared to a file
structure. For reasonable performance, the whole database whould have to
be moved to a SQL backend or similar - which definitely makes Gramps a
much more complicated piece of software than Berkeley DB does...

An alternative to absolute paths, however, would be a relative file tree
structure to which media files are copied by Gramps when imported into
the media database. This would mean that the database is a movable and
relocatabale directory structure.

Stefan

Re: Changing paths on media objects

Don Allingham
Stefan,

2.0.4 (which should be released within the next couple of days) will
allow you to edit the paths. In the future, we will probably provide a
tool to allow you to batch convert the paths.

Don

Stefan Björk wrote:

>>> I have just copied my Gramps database to another computere with
>>> another user name. This causes problems with the media database,
>>> since the stored (absolute) paths no longer is correct. However, I
>>> can't find a way to edit them.
>>

>> This makes a very good example why I'd like to have the pictures in the
>> database :)
>

> Pictures are big things which requires blob fields. Handling this with a
> file database would probably be most ineffective compared to a file
> structure. For reasonable performance, the whole database whould have to
> be moved to a SQL backend or similar - which definitely makes Gramps a
> much more complicated piece of software than Berkeley DB does...
>
> An alternative to absolute paths, however, would be a relative file tree
> structure to which media files are copied by Gramps when imported into
> the media database. This would mean that the database is a movable and
> relocatabale directory structure.
>
> Stefan

Re: Changing paths on media objects

Jeff Plotzke
On Mon, 2005-06-27 at 21:47 +0200, Stefan Björk wrote:

> >>I have just copied my Gramps database to another computere with another
> >>user name. This causes problems with the media database, since the
> >>stored (absolute) paths no longer is correct. However, I can't find a
> >>way to edit them.
> >

> > This makes a very good example why I'd like to have the pictures in the
> > database :)
>
> Pictures are big things which requires blob fields. Handling this with a
> file database would probably be most ineffective compared to a file
> structure. For reasonable performance, the whole database whould have to
> be moved to a SQL backend or similar - which definitely makes Gramps a
> much more complicated piece of software than Berkeley DB does...
>
> An alternative to absolute paths, however, would be a relative file tree
> structure to which media files are copied by Gramps when imported into
> the media database. This would mean that the database is a movable and
> relocatabale directory structure.

I think this would be a great option, as I sometimes accidentally move
around my pictures, which break the media links from gramps.  This would
also prevent any accidental modifications to the images without having
to re-import into gramps to store the modified image.

However, of course, you're now creating a copy of every image you
import, which if there's a large number of images, you're now wasting a
lot of disk space...

~Jeff

man, 27,.06.2005 kl. 21.47 +0200, skrev Stefan Björk:

> >>I have just copied my Gramps database to another computere with another
> >>user name. This causes problems with the media database, since the
> >>stored (absolute) paths no longer is correct. However, I can't find a
> >>way to edit them.
> >

> > This makes a very good example why I'd like to have the pictures in the
> > database :)
>
> Pictures are big things which requires blob fields. Handling this with a
> file database would probably be most ineffective compared to a file
> structure. For reasonable performance, the whole database whould have to
> be moved to a SQL backend or similar - which definitely makes Gramps a
> much more complicated piece of software than Berkeley DB does...

I was, of course, thinking of this as an option, and if I remember
correctly (please correct me if I'm wrong), the Berkeley DB implements a
blob datatype. And I guess they wouldn't have done that if it wasn't
usable.

Best regards,
Stian

Re: Changing paths on media objects

Stefan Björk
> However, of course, you're now creating a copy of every image you
> import, which if there's a large number of images, you're now wasting a
> lot of disk space...

The basic idea is a "Gramps Media Path" setting within Gramps. All media
references are relative to this path. If you specify a file outside of
this "Media path", Gramps could ask if it should copy the file. If not,
Gramps simply stores the absolute path.

This way, you could have the best of all worlds: relative (and thus
relocatable) paths for those who whish, absolute paths for exceptions
and a special directory for Gramps media files. Alternatively, you could
  point the Gramps Media Path to you big++ collection of pictures,
movies and music you have downloaded from the Internet over the last two
years, and thus avoid duplicate copies of the media files. :-)

Stefan

Re: Changing paths on media objects

Stefan Björk
> I was, of course, thinking of this as an option, and if I remember
> correctly (please correct me if I'm wrong), the Berkeley DB implements a
> blob datatype. And I guess they wouldn't have done that if it wasn't
> usable.

I'm sure you are correct. I have some knowledge of databases in general,
but non of Berkely DB in particular. However, I still have my concerns
regarding blob fields in file based databases. Either you loose
performance (think of the time needed to scan a simple unix mailbox with
some four thousand mails in it), or you loose disk space, or you'll need
several files for one database (blob files, indexes, etc).

However, I'm not in a position to complain about database design
regarding Gramps. As long as I can solve my problem with copying Gramps
databases between different file systems, I don't really care if Gramps
uses files or file based databases. I'm totally confident that all you
excellent developers of this wonderful little piece of software is able
to make all those design decisions on your own. :-)

Stefan