Chart Creation Software

Jim Winfrey
Legacy, a Windows genealogy software, has developed a charting program
which has some rich options and loads of charts.  I downloaded it last
night and it runs well under Wine.  It doesn't read Gramps databases
natively but does handle gedcom.  To try it, download the free Legacy
program from www.legacyfamilytree.com.  The charting program is
included in the download.  Install it and it sets upboth Legacy and
the charting program.  Legacy itself does not run "out of the box" so
you can delete it.

Jim

Re: Chart Creation Software

jerome
Should we do the same thing (advertisement ?), for Gramps' features on
Legacy's mailing list ?

Most windows programs run under Linux with wine ...

Also, some Free or Open Source Software have his own chart function :
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Other_genealogy_software
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Other_genealogy_tools

J.

Jim Winfrey a écrit :

> Legacy, a Windows genealogy software, has developed a charting program
> which has some rich options and loads of charts.  I downloaded it last
> night and it runs well under Wine.  It doesn't read Gramps databases
> natively but does handle gedcom.  To try it, download the free Legacy
> program from www.legacyfamilytree.com.  The charting program is
> included in the download.  Install it and it sets upboth Legacy and
> the charting program.  Legacy itself does not run "out of the box" so
> you can delete it.
>
> Jim

Re: Chart Creation Software

Raphael Ackermann
Jim,

Do you think that the legacy charting program has charts that you like
and that gramps doesn't have? If so, could you post in more detail
what you like about the legacy charts, what they do etc, and add a
feature request on the bug tracker for charts that you would like to
be added.

Raphael

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 5:12 PM, Jérôme <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Should we do the same thing (advertisement ?), for Gramps' features on
> Legacy's mailing list ?
>
> Most windows programs run under Linux with wine ...
>
> Also, some Free or Open Source Software have his own chart function :
> http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Other_genealogy_software
> http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Other_genealogy_tools
>
> J.
>
> Jim Winfrey a écrit :
>> Legacy, a Windows genealogy software, has developed a charting program
>> which has some rich options and loads of charts.  I downloaded it last
>> night and it runs well under Wine.  It doesn't read Gramps databases
>> natively but does handle gedcom.  To try it, download the free Legacy
>> program from www.legacyfamilytree.com.  The charting program is
>> included in the download.  Install it and it sets upboth Legacy and
>> the charting program.  Legacy itself does not run "out of the box" so
>> you can delete it.
>>
>> Jim

Re: Chart Creation Software

Martin Steer-2
Jérôme <[hidden email]> writes:

> Should we do the same thing (advertisement ?), for Gramps' features on
> Legacy's mailing list ?

I thought that the post was fair comment.

> Most windows programs run under Linux with wine ...

Not even the wine people make that claim.

According to <http://www.winehq.org/site/myths>:

"You can already run a lot of applications without having Windows
installed. But you have to realize that because Wine is still far from
completion many applications will indeed require Windows for some
functionality that Wine does not yet provide itself."

In the wine database three versions of Legacy are rated, the two more
recent ones having a "garbage" rating, presumably because they don't run
well. An older version is rated at "gold".

--
Martin

Re: Chart Creation Software

Stéphane Charette-2
On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 08:12, Jérôme <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Should we do the same thing (advertisement ?), for Gramps' features on
> Legacy's mailing list ?

Jérôme!?  Mais dis-donc...!  :)

Jim, I fully intend to fire up one of my Windows virtual boxes and
trying it out just to see if it gives me any ideas for GRAMPS.

Stéphane

Re: Chart Creation Software

Stéphane Charette-2
On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 07:39, Jim Winfrey <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Legacy, a Windows genealogy software, has developed a charting program
> which has some rich options and loads of charts.

Are these the charts you mean:

http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/LCom-Charts.asp

Just out of curiosity, what in your opinion are some of the highlights
about the charting software and/or the charts it produces?

Stéphane

Re: Chart Creation Software

> I thought that the post was fair comment.

Jim,
Sorry, I do not fully understand "English", forgive me ! :-[

Are you register on Legacy mailing list (Sat, 04 Oct 2008) ?
http://www.mail-archive.com/legacyusergroup@.../msg31706.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/legacyusergroup@.../msg31722.html
If so, as Raphael said, you might "post in more detail what you like
about the legacy charts" and "what he would like to be added".
This could be more constructive and useful for both programs, no ?

Looking at http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/LCom-Charts.asp
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_3.0_Wiki_Manual_-_Reports
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Sample_reports
I was not able to see a big inovation ...
   but I didn't try Legacy !

> In the wine database three versions of Legacy are rated, the two more
> recent ones having a "garbage" rating, presumably because they don't run
> well. An older version is rated at "gold".

Same issue under Windows OS, isn't it ?
Cannot run 1 program under Windows95 & Windows98 & Windows2000 &
WindowsXP & Windows Vista & Windows xxx ...
1 version = 1 periode

Wine try to support XP/2000 APIs.

> According to <http://www.winehq.org/site/myths>:

Also, they said : "Myth 3: "Emulators like VMware are better"
Sure they're better.. if you like purchasing a full copy of an operating
system just to run it under a virtual machine. Not to mention you need
to purchase a copy of VMware to make it work. Oh, and don't forget the
huge performance hit you take to run an application on a full-blown
operating system running on top of an operating system.
However, having said that there are instances where emulators are quite
useful. Developers can create sandboxes to run applications in, test
other operating systems without rebooting, etc. But having a full-blown
emulator just to run a word processor probably isn't the best solution."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platform_virtualization

We cannot disagree !

I am just sad to launch an application for Windows under Linux (and vice
versa - Cygwin & Co) :(
Fortunatly, Gramps do not need an emulator for running under Windows OS.
Does Legacy users, know that ?

Jérôme

Martin Steer a écrit :

> Jérôme <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Should we do the same thing (advertisement ?), for Gramps' features on
>> Legacy's mailing list ?
>>

> I thought that the post was fair comment.
>
>> Most windows programs run under Linux with wine ...
>>

> Not even the wine people make that claim.
>
> According to <http://www.winehq.org/site/myths>:
>
> "You can already run a lot of applications without having Windows
> installed. But you have to realize that because Wine is still far from
> completion many applications will indeed require Windows for some
> functionality that Wine does not yet provide itself."
>
> In the wine database three versions of Legacy are rated, the two more
> recent ones having a "garbage" rating, presumably because they don't run
> well. An older version is rated at "gold".
>
> --
> Martin

Re: Chart Creation Software

Doug-11
Stéphane Charette wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 07:39, Jim Winfrey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Legacy, a Windows genealogy software, has developed a charting program
>> which has some rich options and loads of charts.
>>

> Are these the charts you mean:
>
> http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/LCom-Charts.asp
>
> Just out of curiosity, what in your opinion are some of the highlights
> about the charting software and/or the charts it produces?
>
> Stéphane

My tuppence worth: I'd quite like to see the 'hourglass' chart and
'standard family group record' as Gramps options.

Doug

Re: Chart Creation Software

Stéphane Charette-2
>> Are these the charts you mean:
>>
>> http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/LCom-Charts.asp
>>
>> Just out of curiosity, what in your opinion are some of the highlights
>> about the charting software and/or the charts it produces?
>>
> My tuppence worth: I'd quite like to see the 'hourglass' chart and 'standard
> family group record' as Gramps options.

Hourglass:  Reports -> Graphs -> Hourglass Graph

Family group:  Reports -> Text Reports -> Family Group Report

So now my question would be:  what can we do to make it more obvious
to our users that we have reports?  Did you not know we had these?
(Don't feel bad, this isn't your fault.  It most likely is a
UI/usability issue we need to fix.)

And/or, is there something about our version of these two reports that
makes you wish we had the ones shown on the Legacy web site?

Stéphane

Re: Chart Creation Software

Eckhard Genßmann
Stephane,

I did play with Legacy as well in the past...
To compare the reporting features with GRAMPS: GRAMPS reports are fine and I
can't see any need for copying some Legacy-stuff therefore, however creating
charts can become ugly in GRAMPS. Most of these windows tools allow for
beautiful charts, much more powerful than the charts created within GRAMPS
but much easier to handle than Graphviz as seen in GRAMPS.
I assume that's the point here ...

Regards,
Eckhard

>> Just out of curiosity, what in your opinion are some of the highlights
>> about the charting software and/or the charts it produces?
>>
> My tuppence worth: I'd quite like to see the 'hourglass' chart and
'standard
> family group record' as Gramps options.

Hourglass:  Reports -> Graphs -> Hourglass Graph

Family group:  Reports -> Text Reports -> Family Group Report

So now my question would be:  what can we do to make it more obvious
to our users that we have reports?  Did you not know we had these?
(Don't feel bad, this isn't your fault.  It most likely is a
UI/usability issue we need to fix.)

And/or, is there something about our version of these two reports that
makes you wish we had the ones shown on the Legacy web site?

Stéphane

Re: Chart Creation Software

Jim Winfrey
On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 1:06 AM, Stéphane Charette
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 07:39, Jim Winfrey <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Legacy, a Windows genealogy software, has developed a charting program
>> which has some rich options and loads of charts.
>
> Are these the charts you mean:
>
> http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/LCom-Charts.asp
>
> Just out of curiosity, what in your opinion are some of the highlights
> about the charting software and/or the charts it produces?
>
> Stéphane

My intent was not to create the impression that Gramps was lacking in
any respect.  I am aware that Gramps has almost everything that the
Legacy charting program has.  I was trying to offer some relief for
folks who may have some problem going through the gyrations of
producing some of Gramps' charts.  Newbies (and some who have used
Gramps for a long time) may be confused when they have to create a
chart .dot sheet then open a terminal and remember a fairly long
command line to get the chart to appear.  I have demonstrated Gramps
at several genealogy meetings and have seen much interest until I go
through the process of creating charts, then I see a lot of glazed
eyeballs.  I was just looking for a way to make charting a little
easier.

Jim

Re: Chart Creation Software

Doug-11
Stéphane Charette wrote:

>>> Are these the charts you mean:
>>>
>>> http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/LCom-Charts.asp
>>>
>>> Just out of curiosity, what in your opinion are some of the highlights
>>> about the charting software and/or the charts it produces?
>>>

>> My tuppence worth: I'd quite like to see the 'hourglass' chart and 'standard
>> family group record' as Gramps options.
>>

> Hourglass:  Reports -> Graphs -> Hourglass Graph
>
> Family group:  Reports -> Text Reports -> Family Group Report
>
> So now my question would be:  what can we do to make it more obvious
> to our users that we have reports?  Did you not know we had these?
> (Don't feel bad, this isn't your fault.  It most likely is a
> UI/usability issue we need to fix.)
>
> And/or, is there something about our version of these two reports that
> makes you wish we had the ones shown on the Legacy web site?
>
> Stéphane

Sorry, I was a bit too terse.
There's no problem about finding the reports; I was really referring to
the presentation.

I think Legacy's photographic attachments to the 'hourglass' and 'family
group report' charts are a very nice feature.
Non-Gramps people (family, friends) do find a photographic display very
attractive; Gramps' narrated website report is a case in point.

Doug

Re: Chart Creation Software

Vladimir Perić
On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 8:06 AM, Stéphane Charette <[hidden email]> wrote:
http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/LCom-Charts.asp

Just out of curiosity, what in your opinion are some of the highlights
about the charting software and/or the charts it produces?

The descendant charts show spouses too, which is something I'd like to have in GRAMPS (or is it there and I just haven't figured out how to do it?). Other than that, those are just somewhat better looking than standard GRAMPS fare, but it's nothing major.
--
Vlada Perić

Re: Chart Creation Software

Eero Tamminen-3

On Tuesday 14 October 2008, Jim Winfrey wrote:

> My intent was not to create the impression that Gramps was lacking in
> any respect.  I am aware that Gramps has almost everything that the
> Legacy charting program has.  I was trying to offer some relief for
> folks who may have some problem going through the gyrations of
> producing some of Gramps' charts.  Newbies (and some who have used
> Gramps for a long time) may be confused when they have to create a
> chart .dot sheet then open a terminal and remember a fairly long
> command line to get the chart to appear. I have demonstrated Gramps
> at several genealogy meetings and have seen much interest until I go
> through the process of creating charts, then I see a lot of glazed
> eyeballs.

I don't understand.  Why do you demonstrate the harder way to create
the charts?

Or did you mean that "dot" isn't installed in your or their environment
properly so that Gramps could find & use it automatically?

        - Eero