Charts View

Oliver Lehmann
Hi,

I've 3 questions regarding the Charts View.

1.)

I'd like to work mainly with the Charts View as it is easier for me to "see"
the relations instead of having them textual in the Relationship View.

To ease navigation in the Charts View, it would be a great benefit for me,
if also the spouse displayed below the main person. Multiple spous could
be iterated through, or are displayed at once all below.

Left from the main person and its spouse, the children of them could be
displayed - 1 size of ancestors.

Is this possible somehow?

Somthing like that:
http://img4host.net/upload/101328585a7ee58adc6ea.JPG

This would make the tree easily navigable without any context menu for the
children and a spouse could be selected directly without navigating through
their children.

I saw that the gramplets "relatives" and "children" and "decendants" could
help around this - any other suggestions? ;)

2.)
Is it possible to search in the Charts View for persons to get them displayed
as master/main person? The Filter gramplet does not work - Is there something
like a "search gramplet"?

3.)
Is it possible to also show the place of the displayed events in a, lets say,
shortened version (only most detailed hierarchy) = the sell stuff which is
showned in the tooltip/hover display.

Best regards,
Oliver

Re: Charts View

Ron Johnson

What you want is the Relationships View.  It's easy to flip back and forth between it and Charts.

--
Money Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.

Re: Charts View

Oliver Lehmann
Hi Ron,

yeah but on it I have to read through a wall of text to find the person I
need to click Image I have a person with 4 wifes and 16 children over all
having with each wife some. I find it kinda hard to find "my" direct
ancestor there. In a graphical view I find navigating through my tree more
easier.

Is there a shortcut for switching between relationship and charts? Or do I
need to move the mouse? ;)

How do I search for a person in the Relationship view to get it displayed?
Do I need to switch to the Persons view for this task? No simple
"search dialog"?

Best regards,
Oliver

Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What you want is the Relationships View.  It's easy to flip back and
> forth between it and Charts.
>
> On 02/10/2018 06:39 AM, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've 3 questions regarding the Charts View.
>>
>> 1.)
>>
>> I'd like to work mainly with the Charts View as it is easier for me to "see"
>> the relations instead of having them textual in the Relationship View.
>>
>> To ease navigation in the Charts View, it would be a great benefit for me,
>> if also the spouse displayed below the main person. Multiple spous could
>> be iterated through, or are displayed at once all below.
>>
>> Left from the main person and its spouse, the children of them could be
>> displayed - 1 size of ancestors.
>>
>> Is this possible somehow?
>>
>> Somthing like that:
>> http://img4host.net/upload/101328585a7ee58adc6ea.JPG
>>
>> This would make the tree easily navigable without any context menu for the
>> children and a spouse could be selected directly without navigating through
>> their children.
>>
>> I saw that the gramplets "relatives" and "children" and "decendants" could
>> help around this - any other suggestions? ;)
>>

>> 2.)
>> Is it possible to search in the Charts View for persons to get them
>> displayed
>> as master/main person? The Filter gramplet does not work - Is there
>> something
>> like a "search gramplet"?
>>

>> 3.)
>> Is it possible to also show the place of the displayed events in a,
>> lets say,
>> shortened version (only most detailed hierarchy) = the sell stuff which is
>> showned in the tooltip/hover display.
>

> --
> Money Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.

Re: Charts View

Nick Hall
On 10/02/18 14:05, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
> Is there a shortcut for switching between relationship and charts? Or
> do I
> need to move the mouse? ;)

https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Gramps_5.0_Wiki_Manual_-_Keybindings

Re: Charts View

Hi Oliver

I use Relationship view to do all my major editing and adding people.

In the Relationship view, if there is too much information visible for
someone with multiple spouses  with children, there are down arrows to
the far left of Families, Parents, Siblings, Children. Toggle these
and segments of a person's relationships will be 'minimized' to help
isolate what you are working on.

As far as toggling between relationships and Charts or People, the
active person is always retained. So regardless of view, that person's
info is what displays.

I hope this helps, Dave

On Sat, Feb 10, 2018 at 9:05 AM, Oliver Lehmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Ron,
>
> yeah but on it I have to read through a wall of text to find the person I
> need to click Image I have a person with 4 wifes and 16 children over all
> having with each wife some. I find it kinda hard to find "my" direct
> ancestor there. In a graphical view I find navigating through my tree more
> easier.
>
> Is there a shortcut for switching between relationship and charts? Or do I
> need to move the mouse? ;)
>
> How do I search for a person in the Relationship view to get it displayed?
> Do I need to switch to the Persons view for this task? No simple
> "search dialog"?
>
> Best regards,
> Oliver
>

> Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> What you want is the Relationships View.  It's easy to flip back and forth
>> between it and Charts.
>>
>> On 02/10/2018 06:39 AM, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've 3 questions regarding the Charts View.
>>>
>>> 1.)
>>>
>>> I'd like to work mainly with the Charts View as it is easier for me to
>>> "see"
>>> the relations instead of having them textual in the Relationship View.
>>>
>>> To ease navigation in the Charts View, it would be a great benefit for
>>> me,
>>> if also the spouse displayed below the main person. Multiple spous could
>>> be iterated through, or are displayed at once all below.
>>>
>>> Left from the main person and its spouse, the children of them could be
>>> displayed - 1 size of ancestors.
>>>
>>> Is this possible somehow?
>>>
>>> Somthing like that:
>>> http://img4host.net/upload/101328585a7ee58adc6ea.JPG
>>>
>>> This would make the tree easily navigable without any context menu for
>>> the
>>> children and a spouse could be selected directly without navigating
>>> through
>>> their children.
>>>
>>> I saw that the gramplets "relatives" and "children" and "decendants"
>>> could
>>> help around this - any other suggestions? ;)
>>>

>>> 2.)
>>> Is it possible to search in the Charts View for persons to get them
>>> displayed
>>> as master/main person? The Filter gramplet does not work - Is there
>>> something
>>> like a "search gramplet"?
>>>

>>> 3.)
>>> Is it possible to also show the place of the displayed events in a, lets
>>> say,
>>> shortened version (only most detailed hierarchy) = the sell stuff which
>>> is
>>> showned in the tooltip/hover display.
>>

>> --
>> Money Angular momentum makes the world go 'round.

Re: Charts View

Oliver Lehmann
Hi Nick,

thanks for this! I could program some extra buttons on my mouse or keyboard to
fast-switch between charts and relationship.

But I guess there is no way in having a "Directly go to person..."
search-like-dialog in the charts or relationship view? I must use again
an additional view like Persons or Families for selecting a person by name?
Even if I would be a mastermind and had all Gramps-IDs in my head - Ctrl+J
is not working in Relationships and Charts ;)

Best Regards,
Oliver

On 02/10/2018 08:52 AM, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
Hi Nick,

thanks for this! I could program some extra buttons on my mouse or keyboard to
fast-switch between charts and relationship.

But I guess there is no way in having a "Directly go to person..."

Bookmarks!

search-like-dialog in the charts or relationship view? I must use again
an additional view like Persons or Families for selecting a person by name?
Even if I would be a mastermind and had all Gramps-IDs in my head - Ctrl+J
is not working in Relationships and Charts ;)

Flip to Person View, search, select and flip back to Relationships.

On 10/02/18 14:52, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
> Even if I would be a mastermind and had all Gramps-IDs in my head -
> Ctrl+J
> is not working in Relationships and Charts ;)

This was fixed in v5.0, but not v4.2.  See:

7309: Jump to Gramps ID functionality only works for listviews

Re: Charts View

Oliver Lehmann
OK,

I guess it is not possible to store the last selected person and restore
that when gramps gets restarted? I always start on Gramps-ID 1 or the
main person after it is set. No matter what person I've selected last.
When I'm activly researching a subtree I always need to move there If
I dind't explicitly set a bookmark before exiting Gramps?

I checked the "remember last view option" in the settings but it is
indeed just the View - not what was selected in it.

Just want to know how to work wit Gramps most effectivly....

Best regards,
Oliver

Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/02/18 14:52, Oliver Lehmann wrote:
>> Even if I would be a mastermind and had all Gramps-IDs in my head - Ctrl+J
>> is not working in Relationships and Charts ;)
>
> This was fixed in v5.0, but not v4.2.  See:
>
> 7309: Jump to Gramps ID functionality only works for listviews
> https://gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=7309
>
> Nick.

Re: Charts View

Dave Scheipers
Hi Oliver

You can bookmark the people you are currently working on to quickly
navigate back to their record. FYI, each area allows for bookmarks.

Also, there is the Last Change gramplet that will track the last
changed people records and allow you to quickly go back to them. I
keep this in my Relationship side bar.

Dave