Quantcast

Children tab in the Family editor

Nick Hall-6
Devs,

I have recently been looking at bug #5321:

http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=5321

I have committed a change in gramps33 but wanted to tidy up the code
further in trunk.

The code for the Children tab in the Family editor is slightly different
from other Embedded Lists.  As a result quite a few methods have been
over-ridden making the code less maintainable.  I started to tidy up the
code but came across an inconsistency in the interface that I need to
discuss.

In most Embedded Lists, when a row is copied onto the clipboard, the
object in the row is copied.  The closest example would be Associations
in the Person editor.  If you drag an Association onto the clipboard you
copy a PersonRef.  You are allowed to drag both a PersonRef or a Person
back to the Associations tab in the editor.  If you drag a Person, then
the reference editor is invoked so that the user can specify the
reference details (the association).

In the Children tab in the Family editor you would expect a ChildRef to
be dragged onto the clipboard, but this is not the case - a PersonLink
is copied.  Is there a reason why this tab is different?

We could copy a ChildRef to the clipboard, and allow both a ChildRef or
a Person to be dragged onto the Children tab.  If a Person is dropped
onto the tab we could invoke the reference editor so that the user could
fill in the father and mother relationships.

Do you think that it would be a good idea to change this to make the
interface more consistent?

Re: Children tab in the Family editor

Benny Malengier

2011/10/25 Nick Hall <[hidden email]>
[...]

I never dragged Children.
What you describe as your way of doing it seems right to me.

Re: Children tab in the Family editor

jerome
Note, about dragging Children, it is not useful to generate a tool like
'sort event' tool for trying to order children by birth date ?

http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=3602
http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=4360

Also a way to sort children by birth date on GraphViz base reports ?

http://www.gramps-project.org/bugs/view.php?id=2635

Regards,
Jérôme

On 25/10/11 08:25, Benny Malengier wrote:

[...]

OK.  I have made this change and tidied up the code for the children tab in the family editor (r18372).

Re: Children tab in the Family editor

Nick Hall-6
Jérôme,

The children of a family have an order which can be changed in the
family editor.  This is not necessarily birth date order.

It would be possible to write a tool to order children by birth date,
but not all children will have birth dates.  This is why we allow the
user to define the order.

Nick.

On 25/10/11 08:50, Jérôme wrote:

> [...]
>>
>>     We could copy a ChildRef to the clipboard, and allow both a
>> ChildRef or
>>     a Person to be dragged onto the Children tab.  If a Person is
>> dropped
>>     onto the tab we could invoke the reference editor so that the
>> user could
>>     fill in the father and mother relationships.
>>
>>     Do you think that it would be a good idea to change this to make the
>>     interface more consistent?
>>

>> I never dragged Children.
>> What you describe as your way of doing it seems right to me.
>>
>> Benny

>> The demand for IT networking professionals continues to grow, and the
>> demand for specialized networking skills is growing even more rapidly.
>> Take a complimentary Learning@Cisco Self-Assessment and learn about
>> Cisco certifications, training, and career opportunities.

robhealey1
Greetings:

I would love to see a tool that could change the order of the children based on birth order in all families in the database...

This is something that I could do....

I understand that their will be some children without birth dates, so that they would be placed at the top or bottom of the list...  Their could be a little note described what would happen if the user continues with this action!

Sincerely yours,
Rob G. Healey

On 25/10/11 08:50, Jérôme wrote:
> [...]
>>
>>     We could copy a ChildRef to the clipboard, and allow both a
>> ChildRef or
>>     a Person to be dragged onto the Children tab.  If a Person is
>> dropped
>>     onto the tab we could invoke the reference editor so that the
>> user could
>>     fill in the father and mother relationships.
>>
>>     Do you think that it would be a good idea to change this to make the
>>     interface more consistent?
>>

>> I never dragged Children.
>> What you describe as your way of doing it seems right to me.
>>
>> Benny

>> The demand for IT networking professionals continues to grow, and the
>> demand for specialized networking skills is growing even more rapidly.
>> Take a complimentary Learning@Cisco Self-Assessment and learn about
>> Cisco certifications, training, and career opportunities.

On a further occasion while he was in one of the cities, look! a man full of leprosy! When he caught sight of Jesus he fell upon his face and begged him, saying: “Lord, if you just want to, you can make me clean.” 13 And so, stretching out his hand, he touched him, saying: “I want to. Be made clean.” And immediately the leprosy vanished from him. 14 And he gave the man orders to tell nobody: “But go off and show yourself to the priest, and make an offering in connection with your cleansing, just as Moses directed, for a witness to them.”
--Luke 5:12-14

Re: Children tab in the Family editor

Helge@Gramps
Hello all,
just to remark: I have a lot of cases where children in a family don't have a birthday. But based on information in e.g. a church book I know the order of all or some of them (e.g. "Paul is the fifth child of his parents)
So I always prefer my manual order for children without a birth day at least in these cases.
But it wood be nice to have a possibility to mark children having an unknown birth order.
I started to use a birth date text like "unknown birth order" to see it every where (also in reports) to separate these person from person/children where the birth order is as defined by me in the database. But this is not a really nice solution.
-Helge

Re: Children tab in the Family editor

Rob,

> so that they would be placed at the top or bottom of the list..

I guess some users know the range/place number into the children list,
but they ignore the birth date. In this case, we should not modify the
children sequence with a batch tool.

I think on iteration and comparison between children with birth date (or
fallback) and every time there is a change, need to make a second pass
(move on, move down).

As said by Nick, the problem could be after moving a children into the
list with previous and next children on list having no date.

ex: you know who is the oldest or the youngest sibling, but sometimes
they are very close and a clue with a birth date is helpful.

Regards,
Jérôme

Rob Healey a écrit :

> [...]
>
> On a further occasion while he was in one of the cities, look! a man
> full of leprosy! When he caught sight of Jesus he fell upon his face and
> begged him, saying: “Lord, if you just want to, you can make me clean.”
> 13 And so, stretching out his hand, he touched him, saying: “I want to.
> Be made clean.” And immediately the leprosy vanished from him. 14 And he
> gave the man orders to tell nobody: “But go off and show yourself to the
> priest, and make an offering in connection with your cleansing, just as
> Moses directed, for a witness to them.”
> --Luke 5:12-14

> The demand for IT networking professionals continues to grow, and the
> demand for specialized networking skills is growing even more rapidly.
> Take a complimentary Learning@Cisco Self-Assessment and learn
> about Cisco certifications, training, and career opportunities.

This makes me remember that I also have persons without year on their birth dates ... ie. I know birthday but not the year!

I do not use a textual date for this, rather "birth = 0-04-03" ...
and set the order into the children list.
Batch tool should take care of this too.

Jérôme