Citing Find-A-Grave

Ron Johnson
How do you do it?

I have a source named "Find A Grave" with (almost 200) citations under it in the form:
Volume/Page: #12345678 Jane Doe Smith

The "#" is the grave id in the url.  For example, https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=98764964

If there's a obituary, then I paste that into a Citation note.  If the person is of sufficient relevance to me -- or I'm in the mood -- I save the photo(s) of the grave to the Citation gallery.

Re: Citing Find-A-Grave

Rich Lakey
Ron,
Maybe now that I finished the census records I had accumulated your post might encourage me to do better with find a grave.  I have many entries from Find a Grave. That was one of my earliest endeavorers after starting genealogy.
My method was/is primitive. I copy the Findagrave entry into a note. Make a few edits to remove extra spacing. Leave included the name of the creator and  memorial number.  Any pictures end up in the person gallery.  I use the Lat/Long of the cemetery in the place entry.  I guess I need to formalize them a bit better with source and citation.  I have more than 60 entries I have added myself in find a grave.
I do not use URL's as they can disappear, so I copy everything I might want. Putting pictures in citations/sources are hard to find either in Gramps or Narrated web site so I have them in the person gallery.
Since I have no record of my find a grave entries in a source or citation I guess I can only find them by wading through the notes. I guess I need to Think about using one source for all find a grave like you or one source per cemetery or one source per entry.  With census records I put an image of the census record in the source, one source per census record. (could be one to 3 images). If I had a couple with a single stone I might consider a single source for the stone and two citations for the seperated Find a grave entries. I would attach those images to the gallery of the source, citation and person.  I would lean towards continuing that pattern. That way someone viewing a persons entry would not need to jump through hoops to view the entry if it is in a citation, source or attribute. Notes and the gallery are easy to view.  Need to think about it a bit.
Rich

On 02/15/2017 04:46 PM, Ron Johnson wrote:
How do you do it?

I have a source named "Find A Grave" with (almost 200) citations under it in the form:
Volume/Page: #12345678 Jane Doe Smith

The "#" is the grave id in the url.  For example, https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=98764964

If there's a obituary, then I paste that into a Citation note.  If the person is of sufficient relevance to me -- or I'm in the mood -- I save the photo(s) of the grave to the Citation gallery.

Have you backed up your files today?

Re: Citing Find-A-Grave

Peter (chamdo4ever)
On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 5:46 PM, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> How do you do it?
<SNIP>

I'm pretty sure I'm alone on this, but I love FamilySearch's
comprehensive citations so much that I use them.

I have "Find A Grave Index" as a source, with FamilySearch.org as the
repository. The citation note is everything that the FS "COPY" button
will give me.

I recognize that my method is missing a link to the actual page of the
entry on Find A Grave, but hey, that's technically a different site --
my source is the Find A Grave Index on FS.

For obituaries, I usually try to track them down through whichever
newspaper website has them. So, the paper becomes the source, and more
often than not, Legacy.com is the repository.

Re: Citing Find-A-Grave

Peter Merchant
On 16/02/17 06:20, Peter (chamdo4ever) wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 5:46 PM, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> How do you do it?
> <SNIP>
>
> I'm pretty sure I'm alone on this, but I love FamilySearch's
> comprehensive citations so much that I use them.
>
> I have "Find A Grave Index" as a source, with FamilySearch.org as the
> repository. The citation note is everything that the FS "COPY" button
> will give me.
>
> I recognize that my method is missing a link to the actual page of the
> entry on Find A Grave, but hey, that's technically a different site --
> my source is the Find A Grave Index on FS.
>
> For obituaries, I usually try to track them down through whichever
> newspaper website has them. So, the paper becomes the source, and more
> often than not, Legacy.com is the repository.
I haven't used Find-a-grave, but my feeling is along the lines of the
Library-->Book--> page idea of Citations, in that Find-a grave is the
Repository, The actual cemetery is the source, and the citation refers
to the grave itself.

As Rich said, I tend to keep my photos in an file structured album per
person for ease of locating them.

Peter M

Re: Citing Find-A-Grave

paul womack
Peter Merchant wrote:

> As Rich said, I tend to keep my photos in an file structured album per
> person for ease of locating them.

What do you do with group shots e.g. wedding, birthday party?

  BugBear

Re: Citing Find-A-Grave

On 02/16/2017 02:45 AM, Peter Merchant wrote:
[snip]
> As Rich said, I tend to keep my photos in an file structured album per
> person for ease of locating them.

What do you do with crypts and gravestones that have multiple people in them?

Re: Citing Find-A-Grave

Brad Rogers
On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 03:44:38 -0600
Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Ron,

>What do you do with crypts and gravestones that have multiple people in
>them?

Here, they each get a copy of the image.  Sharing media is easy via the
clipboard.

I highlight the part of the image relevant to each individual, if it's
relevant (or possible).

Same with wedding (or other group) photos.

--
 Regards  _
It's a very small world in the middle of a crowd

Re: Citing Find-A-Grave

Peter Merchant
On 16/02/17 08:54, paul womack wrote:

> Peter Merchant wrote:
>

>> As Rich said, I tend to keep my photos in an file structured album per
>> person for ease of locating them.
>
> What do you do with group shots e.g. wedding, birthday party?
>
>  BugBear
>
> Sorry, that should not have been per person, My structure is by family.

It's like this:
Home> Ancestry> Merchant> 'William-->Abraham'     'x' is all one filename
Home> Ancestry> Merchant> 'John-->George'
Home> Ancestry> Heath
Home> Ancestry> Burkey>James_Burkey

John was actually son of William who is my direct ancestor. It keeps him
at a higher level because of that.  I understand that anyway. In
each/most folder(s) is a writeup for each major person that tells their
story. I seem to have coped so far with the problem of duplication when
for example the daughter of Joseph Burkey marries the  son of John
Merchant.

Peter.

Peter

Re: Citing Find-A-Grave

Peter Merchant
On 16/02/17 09:44, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 02/16/2017 02:45 AM, Peter Merchant wrote:
> [snip]
>> As Rich said, I tend to keep my photos in an file structured album per
>> person for ease of locating them.
> What do you do with crypts and gravestones that have multiple people in them?

Don't have any yet, Anyway, as I have corrected my error before and it
it folders by family, not person, they would probably be ok.

P.

Re: Citing Find-A-Grave

Peter Merchant
On 16/02/17 11:01, Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 03:44:38 -0600
> Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello Ron,
>
>> What do you do with crypts and gravestones that have multiple people in
>> them?
> Here, they each get a copy of the image.  Sharing media is easy via the
> clipboard.
>
> I highlight the part of the image relevant to each individual, if it's
> relevant (or possible).
>
> Same with wedding (or other group) photos.

That's why I like the hyperlink idea. Only one copy needs to be kept in
Gramps.
P.

Re: Citing Find-A-Grave

On 02/16/2017 05:01 AM, Brad Rogers wrote:
On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 03:44:38 -0600
Ron Johnson [hidden email] wrote:

Hello Ron,

What do you do with crypts and gravestones that have multiple people in
them?
Here, they each get a copy of the image.  Sharing media is easy via the
clipboard.

I thought you were referring to the media file names.

Re: Citing Find-A-Grave

Brad Rogers
On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 08:34:49 -0600
Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Ron,

>I thought you were referring to the media file *names*.

Could be, I'm not sure any more.   :-)

The filename isn't really an issue, IMO.  It could quite easily be some
horrible alphanumeric concoction from a web site, camera, or whatever
(and often is on my computer's disk drive).

When that's the case, the Title I use is often a list of names of all
those in the picture.  Should it be necessary to know the file name,
that still exists in the Path section.

--
 Regards  _
Buy some love at the five and dime

Re: Citing Find-A-Grave

On 02/16/2017 08:53 AM, Brad Rogers wrote:
On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 08:34:49 -0600
Ron Johnson [hidden email] wrote:

Hello Ron,

I thought you were referring to the media file *names*.
Could be, I'm not sure any more.   :-)

The filename isn't really an issue, IMO.  It could quite easily be some
horrible alphanumeric concoction from a web site, camera, or whatever
(and often is on my computer's disk drive).

When that's the case, the Title I use is often a list of names of all
those in the picture.  Should it be necessary to know the file name,
that still exists in the Path section.

Those are some pretty long filenames!!!

Re: Citing Find-A-Grave

Rich Lakey
Thought about this during the night. Had to resist getting up and trying it.

Sample of what I am thinking. I want to see how this entry looks in reports and Narrated Web site. My first thought was to create a Form, but I have been a bit concerned about forms putting all info in Attributes. Attributes do not display easily in Gramps and poorly in Narrated Web site.

Converted my existing burial note from Find A Grave to custom type "Burial" This note will be once in my DB but referenced three times, Person, Citation and source. If there is a picture of the grave marker it will be referenced three times also. I put "NOTE 1" in bold at the beginning. The number will change as notes are added in Chronological order. This displays nicely in a report.

Note type (custom) = Burial:
NOTE 1: Arthur M Lakey

Birth:     Jul., 1844
Indiana, USA
Death:     Feb., 1922

Civil War Veteran:
A musician in the 4th Indiana Regt.

1m: Clarissa Vermillion
2m: Phoebe Mable Miller, dau of James M. Miller, on April 25, 1900, in Huntington Co., IN

1900 Markle, Rock Creek Twp., Huntington Co., IN: Leaky, Arthur M., 56, b. IN/TN/NC, carpenter; Phoebe, wife, 19, b. IN/IN/IN

Believed to be interred here.

Family links:
 Spouse:
  Clarissa Vermillion Leakey (1845 - 1892)

 Children:
  William Oscar Lakey (1867 - 1939)*
  Leslie Edwin Lakey (1873 - 1924)*

Burial:
Sparks Cemetery
Wells County
Indiana, USA

Created by: OPPSheryl
Record added: Jun 16, 2015
Find A Grave Memorial# 147952617

Source:
Title - Arthur M. Lakey
Author - Find A Grave

Citation:
Date - June 16, 2015
Volume/Page - Arthur M. Lakey
Confidence - High

Event - Burial
Sparks Cemetery, Wells, Indiana, USA

Place
Title - Sparks Cemetery, Wells, Indiana, USA
Name - Sparks Cemetery
Type (custom)- Cemetery
Lat - 40.78720
Long - -85.33470

I'll chew on this a few days and create a new Narrated Web site and some reports. Might modify one of my Census records to see how it displays also.
I'd like some similarity between my different entry types.

A note about Long/Lat. At first I put them in every place. I could not see the US for the pins!. So now I use lat/long for cemeteries, (Great) grandparents, (Great) aunts/uncles locations and skip cousins. I could not see the forest for the trees.

Rich

On 02/16/2017 09:23 AM, Ron Johnson wrote:
On 02/16/2017 08:53 AM, Brad Rogers wrote:
On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 08:34:49 -0600
Ron Johnson [hidden email] wrote:

Hello Ron,

I thought you were referring to the media file *names*.
Could be, I'm not sure any more.   :-)

The filename isn't really an issue, IMO.  It could quite easily be some
horrible alphanumeric concoction from a web site, camera, or whatever
(and often is on my computer's disk drive).

When that's the case, the Title I use is often a list of names of all
those in the picture.  Should it be necessary to know the file name,
that still exists in the Path section.

Those are some pretty long filenames!!!

Have you backed up your files today?

Re: Citing Find-A-Grave

Brad Rogers
On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 09:23:46 -0600
Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Ron,

>Those are some pretty long filenames!!!

Could be, but I think you're confusing media 'Title' with media
'filename'.  In Gramps the two are separate.  For example, a Title could
consist of a list of names of twenty people in a photograph.  The
filename on the disk could simply be 1.jpg'.

--
 Regards  _
Hey there, Mr Average, you don't exist, you never did

Re: Citing Find-A-Grave

Brad Rogers
On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 09:39:45 -0600
Rich <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Rich,

>A note about Long/Lat. At first I put them in every place. I could not

I've always resisted adding lat/long to everything because anything
bigger than a building can't be pinpointed accurately - they're areas,
not points(1)(2).  By and large, I don't mark houses that are merely
numbered, either.  In this case, because houses along a street may have
been renumbered (more than once, sometimes) over the years.

(1) I do make an exception for cemeteries, despite them being, more often
than not, quite large areas.  They're too important to not mark.

(2) Yes, I know buildings are areas too, but it's a lot easier to mark
them with a pin than say, Australia, USA or UK.

--
 Regards  _
You suck my blood like a leech

Re: Citing Find-A-Grave

paul womack
Brad Rogers wrote:

> I've always resisted adding lat/long to everything because anything
> bigger than a building can't be pinpointed accurately - they're areas,
> not points(1)(2).  By and large, I don't mark houses that are merely
> numbered, either.  In this case, because houses along a street may have
> been renumbered (more than once, sometimes) over the years.
>
> (1) I do make an exception for cemeteries, despite them being, more often
> than not, quite large areas.  They're too important to not mark.
>
> (2) Yes, I know buildings are areas too, but it's a lot easier to mark
> them with a pin than say, Australia, USA or UK.

Wow - I thought I was purist, but that's extreme.

Whilst having a diameter (or even a polygon) would be more
accurate (and time-hungry to create) in practice I find
giving villages, town, cities, counties (UK style) and countries
lat/long coordinates is ALWAYS useful;

It means I can see an ancestor move from Leeds to London,
when looking at a "whole UK" map view.

Or that an ancestor in the army moved from the UK
to India via South Africa, looking at the world.

I will not lightly give this up; the modelling is imperfect
(as you point out) but still very useful.

   BugBear

Re: Citing Find-A-Grave

Edgar Häner
Hello All,

The accuracy of the entered Long/Lat holds significant information about the area targeted.

For example, giving no decimals, specifies a position to around 111 km (depending on how close to the equator the position is). Therefore it is clear that this identifies a county rather than a house.

Regards,

Edgar

P.S. Tangentially related to this but caused by a similar problem

On 16 February 2017 at 16:33, paul womack <[hidden email]> wrote:
Brad Rogers wrote:

> I've always resisted adding lat/long to everything because anything
> bigger than a building can't be pinpointed accurately - they're areas,
> not points(1)(2).  By and large, I don't mark houses that are merely
> numbered, either.  In this case, because houses along a street may have
> been renumbered (more than once, sometimes) over the years.
>
> (1) I do make an exception for cemeteries, despite them being, more often
> than not, quite large areas.  They're too important to not mark.
>
> (2) Yes, I know buildings are areas too, but it's a lot easier to mark
> them with a pin than say, Australia, USA or UK.

Wow - I thought I was purist, but that's extreme.

Whilst having a diameter (or even a polygon) would be more
accurate (and time-hungry to create) in practice I find
giving villages, town, cities, counties (UK style) and countries
lat/long coordinates is ALWAYS useful;

It means I can see an ancestor move from Leeds to London,
when looking at a "whole UK" map view.

Or that an ancestor in the army moved from the UK
to India via South Africa, looking at the world.

I will not lightly give this up; the modelling is imperfect
(as you point out) but still very useful.

   BugBear

Edgar Häner
[hidden email]
+44 7887746763

Re: Citing Find-A-Grave

paul womack
Edgar Häner wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> The accuracy of the entered Long/Lat holds significant information about the area targeted.

That is only true and useful if Gramps
can distinguish between 7.10000 and 7.1

  BugBear

Re: Citing Find-A-Grave

Brad Rogers
On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 16:33:45 +0000
paul womack <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello paul,

>Wow - I thought I was purist, but that's extreme.

I know:  It means I can't use a good deal of the geographical analysis
features of Gramps (Have they been able to meet, etc.) and some would
argue that's too heavy a price to pay.  However, with churches, Register
Offices, hospitals, farms (many of my lot were farmers) and so forth
pinned, things aren't as bad as they might seem, since most people have
at least one of those building types associated with them.

Here, I find most of the people without such fixed reference places tend
to have died young (15mins old in one instance) and therefore not met
anyone else.  There's always exceptions;  Aged singletons, for example.

Admittedly, as you go back in time to when people were far more likely
to be born at home, a lack of reference places can become more of an
issue.  Mind you, when you have residences recorded as "Near the water
tower" (I have one such) addresses aren't very helpful anyway.
Especially if there's no water tower marked on the map, either then or

--
 Regards  _
Well you tried it just the once and found it alright for kicks