Citing an email?

Yes, I know it's a low-quality non-primary (or even secondary) source, but
I'd still like to record the data.

Would you say that the Source is "Email Corresponsence", and that the
Citation is the specific email in question?

Thanks

Re: Citing an email?

Peter (chamdo4ever)
On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 10:03 AM, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yes, I know it's a low-quality non-primary (or even secondary) source, but
> I'd still like to record the data.
>
> Would you say that the Source is "Email Corresponsence", and that the
> Citation is the specific email in question?

Excellent question. For better or worse, I use certain individual
people as sources. ie: I may have a conversation with a cousin or an
uncle who provides relevant information to me verbally either in
person, over the phone, or via email.

In the case of email, the person who sent it is the source, and I put
the email (with its relevant headers) in the citation note -- that's a
tip that I believe I received from Enno. Usually, I will paste the
email in its entirety, but if it touches on anything irrelevant, then
I excerpt the relevant portion (and note that it is just an excerpt),
but I always include the headers.

That may not be a perfect way of doing it, but it's my approach.

Hope that helps,

Peter

Re: Citing an email?

paul womack
Ron Johnson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Yes, I know it's a low-quality non-primary (or even secondary) source, but I'd still like to record the data.
>
> Would you say that the Source is "Email Corresponsence", and that the Citation is the specific email in question?

I don't treat email specially. I have two "buckets" (Sources) that I use;

if a piece of information is from someone else AND they don't tell
me their sources, I use source "Someone else's research",
and cite the person. This is often what I do if I find an uncited
piece of research on the 'net.

But for first hand information, I use the source "Personal Testimony"
and cite similarly. (e.g. Aunty Ethel saying granny smoked 40 fags a day)

  BugBear

Re: Citing an email?

Philip Weiss

On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 7:31 AM, Peter (chamdo4ever) <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 10:03 AM, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yes, I know it's a low-quality non-primary (or even secondary) source, but
> I'd still like to record the data.
>
> Would you say that the Source is "Email Corresponsence", and that the
> Citation is the specific email in question?

Excellent question. For better or worse, I use certain individual
people as sources. ie: I may have a conversation with a cousin or an
uncle who provides relevant information to me verbally either in
person, over the phone, or via email.

In the case of email, the person who sent it is the source, and I put
the email (with its relevant headers) in the citation note -- that's a
tip that I believe I received from Enno. Usually, I will paste the
email in its entirety, but if it touches on anything irrelevant, then
I excerpt the relevant portion (and note that it is just an excerpt),
but I always include the headers.

That may not be a perfect way of doing it, but it's my approach.

Hope that helps,

Peter

This is how I do it too, for sources that are not institutional.  Source is person.  Citation (page) is something like: 2017-10-28, "Email subject", email to Y.

I use the same source if that person posts something to Facebook, talks to me in person, over the phone, etc.

Phil.

Re: Citing an email?

GRAMPS - User mailing list
I agree that it is important to record these hearsay nuggets of information.  And it is good to do so in GRAMPS because they are too hard to find between webmail folders, local PC outlook archives, and so forth.

I attach the eMail citation to both the sender as well as the person being discussed. With informal notes, there are often references that lose meaning without the context of the speaker.  Like "my mother died last week..." While I leave errors & typos intact, I also like to add inline annotations (like one would do for misinformation/typos in a newspaper article).

This is too trivial an item to be worth annotating but it is a useful as an example: the line from the message below
> Would you say that the Source is "Email Corresponsence", and that the
becomes
> Would you say that the Source is "Email Corresponsence"[sic][recte Correspondence], and that the

I also make certain to include an occupation of "Genealogist, amateur" or "Genealogist, published(web)" so I can search for my contacts in a filtered line of descendants. (My pie-in-the-sky hope is to one day write a bulk mail tool for sharing new discoveries.  So, say I find a interment... I filter people on descendants and spouses who are not tagged "DoNotContact" of the interred relative, find all those with an occupation containing a "genealogist" where the occupation wasn't tagged 'Private', create a list of the 'genealogist' names/eMails, generate a GEDcom nugget for that Burial event to be attached to an eMail, generate a text report for the Burial for the body of the eMail, and assemble all the pieces into an pre-addressed eMail draft with a structured subject layout.)

On Monday, October 30, 2017, 12:17:10 PM CDT, Philip Weiss <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 7:31 AM, Peter (chamdo4ever) <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 10:03 AM, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yes, I know it's a low-quality non-primary (or even secondary) source, but
> I'd still like to record the data.
>
> Would you say that the Source is "Email Corresponsence", and that the
> Citation is the specific email in question?

Excellent question. For better or worse, I use certain individual
people as sources. ie: I may have a conversation with a cousin or an
uncle who provides relevant information to me verbally either in
person, over the phone, or via email.

In the case of email, the person who sent it is the source, and I put
the email (with its relevant headers) in the citation note -- that's a
tip that I believe I received from Enno. Usually, I will paste the
email in its entirety, but if it touches on anything irrelevant, then
I excerpt the relevant portion (and note that it is just an excerpt),
but I always include the headers.

That may not be a perfect way of doing it, but it's my approach.

Hope that helps,

Peter

This is how I do it too, for sources that are not institutional.  Source is person.  Citation (page) is something like: 2017-10-28, "Email subject", email to Y.

I use the same source if that person posts something to Facebook, talks to me in person, over the phone, etc.

Phil.

Re: Citing an email?

The Source would be the person that sent the email. The citation would
be the email.

You may receive additional emails from the same person with other
information.  same source, different citation for different
information.

I would set the citation; Date >> date of email, Volume/Page >>
Subject header of the email, and then copy the body of the email into
the citation's note. The alternative would be to export the email to a
folder in your media files then attach that email as a media object.
Personally I would use the note option and store the email in a
correspondence folder. I don't like to keep too much in my email
accounts except current emails. If it's worthy of archiving, I'll
drag-n-drop the email into an appropriate folder.

Dave

On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 10:03 AM, Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Yes, I know it's a low-quality non-primary (or even secondary) source, but
> I'd still like to record the data.
>
> Would you say that the Source is "Email Corresponsence", and that the
> Citation is the specific email in question?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> World Peace Through Nuclear Pacification

Re: Citing an email?

paul womack
Dave Scheipers wrote:
> I would set the citation; Date >> date of email, Volume/Page >>
> Subject header of the email, and then copy the body of the email into
> the citation's note. The alternative would be to export the email to a
> folder in your media files then attach that email as a media object.
> Personally I would use the note option and store the email in a
> correspondence folder. I don't like to keep too much in my email
> accounts except current emails. If it's worthy of archiving, I'll
> drag-n-drop the email into an appropriate folder.

I always copy data, either into a note, or as a media file.
I backup my gramps database, and my single-root-node media tree
to two computers, a USB stick, a removeable hard drive and the cloud.

I regard my own email as temporary, but my 5 years in the
making genealogical dataset is "for the ages".

  BugBear