Citing an obituary

David Somers-Harris
Hello,

I am trying to document a death in gramps by citing an obituary, but I’m having trouble figuring out the correct way of doing it.

What is the source? The newspaper? The issue? The article? The newspaper website?

What is the repository? The newspaper? The issue? The announcement / death notice database? The website?

What field do i put the URL in?

If there are some good examples of citing obituaries in Gramps it would be very thankful.

Thanks!
David

Prefectures

David Somers-Harris
I want to set the place type as “prefecture” (for example, Chiba Prefecture in Japan) but there is no option for this in Gramps so for now I am using “Province” which seems like the next closest thing.

Is there some way to create a new type in Grandpa called “Prefecture”, or some better workaround than using “Province” instead?

Thanks,
David

Re: Prefectures

Tom Hughes
On 16/08/2019 09:20, David Somers-Harris wrote:

> Is there some way to create a new type in Grandpa called “Prefecture”,
> or some better workaround than using “Province” instead?

Yes - just type "Prefecture" in the type field.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes ([hidden email])
http://compton.nu/

Re: Prefectures

David Somers-Harris
Thanks

I noticed that certain place types get omitted from Family Line Reports (like buildings or districts). What determines whether a place type is omitted or not?

Would an added custom type like Prefecture get omitted?

On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 17:26 Tom Hughes <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 16/08/2019 09:20, David Somers-Harris wrote:

> Is there some way to create a new type in Grandpa called “Prefecture”,
> or some better workaround than using “Province” instead?

Yes - just type "Prefecture" in the type field.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes ([hidden email])
http://compton.nu/

Re: Citing an obituary

On 8/16/19 2:37 AM, David Somers-Harris wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to document a death in gramps by citing an obituary, but I’m
> having trouble figuring out the correct way of doing it.
>
> For example, for this URL:
> https://www.theargus.co.uk/announcements/deaths/deaths/17841062.Jayne_Sumner/
>
> What is the source? The newspaper?

Yes.

For example: "Obituaries: Montgomery Advertiser, Montgomery, Montgomery
County, Alabama"

> The issue? The article?

The article (with section, page and column number) is the citation.

For example, "Page 8, Col. 1"

> The newspaper website?
>
> What is the repository? The newspaper? The issue? The announcement / death
> notice database? The website?

Honestly, I don't use repositories.

> What field do i put the URL in?

I'd put it in a Citation Note.  In a different Citation Note, I transcribe
the obit.  Lastly, I attach a scan of the obit to the citation.

> If there are some good examples of citing obituaries in Gramps it would be
> very thankful.

I think my method is good, and others will see fatal flaws... :)

Re: Citing an obituary

Source: The Argus

Citation Vol/Page: the URL address
Citation Note: the text of the obituary

You could differentiate between "The Argus (online)" and "The Argus"
or "The Argus (print)"

The print version of the citation would contain issue/page
information. I would still transcribe the text into a note. The note
is what you and your family will want. The other information  just
shows where you got the information.

There have been several discussions inre Repository/Source/Citation in
this user group. The discussions are archived here:
https://sourceforge.net/p/gramps/mailman/gramps-users/

The main goal is to provide enough information so that you or anyone
else can find the same information again.

There are as many ways to configure the above as there are gramps users.

Is the Source the Newspaper? or is the Source the Newspaper Issue?
Whatever you do not put in the Source gets put into the Citation.

A better example are census records. Is the Source "Census", or Census
by County, or Census by Country and Year, or Census by Country, Year
and some smaller geographical region? Census would be 1 record. Census
by Country would be a few source records. The more information you add
to the Source, the more Source records you will have. It is a balance
that you need to find for yourself.

HTH Dave
Dave

On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 4:11 AM David Somers-Harris
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to document a death in gramps by citing an obituary, but I’m having trouble figuring out the correct way of doing it.
>
> For example, for this URL:
> https://www.theargus.co.uk/announcements/deaths/deaths/17841062.Jayne_Sumner/
>
> What is the source? The newspaper? The issue? The article? The newspaper website?
>
> What is the repository? The newspaper? The issue? The announcement / death notice database? The website?
>
> What field do i put the URL in?
>
> If there are some good examples of citing obituaries in Gramps it would be very thankful.
>
> Thanks!
> David

Re: Citing an obituary

Brad Rogers
On Fri, 16 Aug 2019 16:37:15 +0900
David Somers-Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello David,

>What is the source? The newspaper? The issue? The article? The newspaper

Paper is the source.  Citation would be date of issue, page, column &
article heading (if there is one).

>What is the repository? The newspaper? The issue? The announcement /
>death notice database? The website?

Depends where you get the paper from.

  Downloaded article from a web site; Web site is repo
  Viewed in local library; Library is repo
  Purchased copy of newspaper; Buyer's archive (usually
  their home) is repo

--
 Regards  _
Tell the dinosaurs they just won't survive

Re: Citing an obituary

lesc
A genealogical repository is simply a place in which genealogical sources are
kept and used.
i.e. ancestry.com, familysearch.org, National Archives, State or Provincial
Archives, Libraries, etc.

Source are books, digital files, documents, films, people recordings,
websites, etc. A newspaper is a source.

A Citation
Citing your sources includes author, title, date, page, optional library or
archive call number.

Ron Johnson in a previous reply explains where to enter the source &
citation data. I definitely use repositories for the benefit of those who
read my published genealogy. You want to be credible.

-Les-

Re: Prefectures

David Somers-Harris
FYI I tested creating a person with a birth place with custom type "Prefecture" and found that Gramps didn't include it in the family line report (it showed the next up place type "Country" instead)