Classic ALL Relatives chart with portrait

Classic ALL Relatives chart with portrait

GRAMPS - User mailing list

Hi Peeps, i would really appreciate your help with this?
I have created my family tree database with portrait photos on Gramps 5.

I wish to have printed a classic family tree ALL Relatives chart with photos but it does not seem to be available on Gramps and so i am looking to export data and media to Family Historian in order to produce such a chart.

Has anyone else done this?

XML .gpkg is not acceptable and if i only export a GEDCOM file it will not contain the photos.

Thank you so much in advance as i know what a helpful bunch gramps users are ❤

Re: Classic ALL Relatives chart with portrait

paul womack
Elaine Pitt via Gramps-users wrote:
> Hi Peeps, i would really appreciate your help with this?
> I have created my family tree database with portrait photos on Gramps 5.
>
> I wish to have printed a classic family tree ALL Relatives chart with photos

Can you link to an example of the sort of think you want?

  BugBear

Re: Classic ALL Relatives chart with portrait

Hi Elaine,

I wish to have printed a classic family tree ALL Relatives chart with photos but it does not seem to be available on Gramps and so i am looking to export data and media to Family Historian in order to produce such a chart.

Has anyone else done this?

XML .gpkg is not acceptable and if i only export a GEDCOM file it will not contain the photos.

I never tried this myself, and mostly run Gramps in Linux, but when you export a GEDCOM file, it should contain proper references to your photos, meaning that the GEDCOM file should list all photos and their location on disk.

Since I don't have Family Historian here, I can't say whether there is anything wrong with Gramps' GEDCOM export, or Family Historian's import.

I think RootsMagic is from the same company. Do you see photos when you import a Gramps GEDCOM in that?

Re: Classic ALL Relatives chart with portrait

GRAMPS - User mailing list
Hi Enno, Oh my word!!!
We are a dedicated Linux household and therefore i had no choice but to learn to use Gramps .
I eventually succeeded but found i couldn't create the charts i wanted . So i paid a lot of money to a company to do it for me . Now i am revising my ft and wish to create the revised charts myself.  Family Historian (yes that's the one) has charts I like. So I borrowed a Windows machine and installed Family historian on it in the hope of importing my Linux-Gramps Gedcom file!! The data appears ok but no photos go across.

Its a nightmare and i am so stuck i dont know what to do!

It wouldn’t be a problem if i could get the charts i want out of Gramps- i am still not sure if the dont exist of i dont know how to access them!? surely i am not the only one?

Thank you for your time considering my issue.
 and see
i will do what you suggest and install Gramps on the Windows machine  and see if it makes any difference
On Wednesday, 19 December 2018, 12:47:28 GMT, Enno Borgsteede <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Elaine,

[...]

Nick Hall
On 19/12/2018 21:28, Elaine Pitt via Gramps-users wrote:
> It wouldn’t be a problem if i could get the charts i want out of
> Gramps- i am still not sure if the dont exist of i dont know how to
> access them!? surely i am not the only one?

Have you looked at the new LaTeX GenealogyTree Sandclock report?

It would be easy to customise the tex output to colour the generations.

On 12/19/18 3:28 PM, Elaine Pitt via Gramps-users wrote:
Hi Enno, Oh my word!!!
We are a dedicated Linux household and therefore i had no choice but to learn to use Gramps .
I eventually succeeded but found i couldn't create the charts i wanted . So i paid a lot of money to a company to do it for me . Now i am revising my ft and wish to create the revised charts myself.  Family Historian (yes that's the one) has charts I like. So I borrowed a Windows machine and installed Family historian on it in the hope of importing my Linux-Gramps Gedcom file!! The data appears ok but no photos go across.

Its a nightmare and i am so stuck i dont know what to do!

Did you look in the GEDCOM (it's just a text file) to see if the files are referenced?

If they are, then you know what files to copy to the Windows machine.  Then you can edit the GEDCOM and change the directories where the files are stored to make them match where you put the files on the Windows machine.

Re: Classic ALL Relatives chart with portrait

Peter Flynn
On 19/12/2018 21:28, Elaine Pitt via Gramps-users wrote:

> Hi Enno, Oh my word!!!
> We are a dedicated Linux household and therefore i had no choice but to
> learn to use Gramps .
> I eventually succeeded but found i couldn't create the charts i wanted .
> So i paid a lot of money to a company to do it for me . Now i am
> revising my ft and wish to create the revised charts myself.  Family
> Historian (yes that's the one) has charts I like. So I borrowed a
> Windows machine and installed Family historian on it in the hope of
> importing my Linux-Gramps Gedcom file!! The data appears ok but no
> photos go across.

OK, so the problem is that your GEDCOM contains the file names of your
images with their (Linux) path, but Family Historian wants a Windows
file reference?

One possible solution is to do it manually:

1. find out from a test Family Historian file what the file references
look like (eg C:\something\something\filename.jpg)

2. edit your GEDCOM file in a good text editor so that all the file
references are in Windows format

3. copy all your images onto a Windows computer and put them in the
places you chose in [2]

4. zip them up along with the GEDCOM file so that now it looks like a
Windows file layout.

> It wouldn’t be a problem if i could get the charts i want out of Gramps-

Gramps does not do that type of chart.

> i am still not sure if the dont exist of i dont know how to access
> them!? surely i am not the only one?

No, most people want them, but the programming involved in implementing
an algorithm that fits everybody in neatly, and allows for all the
variations is quite difficult and needs a lot of time to write. This is
probably why it's only available in commercial software.

> Thank you for your time considering my issue.
>  and see
> i will do what you suggest and install Gramps on the Windows machine
> and see if it makes any difference

That may fix the problem but you'll have to test it to find out.

Peter Flynn wrote:

> No, most people want them, but the programming involved in implementing
> an algorithm that fits everybody in neatly, and allows for all the
> variations is quite difficult and needs a lot of time to write.

Yes. Everybody thinks they know what a generation is, right up until a "removed"
cousin marries...

> This is
> probably why it's only available in commercial software.

True. But Graphviz is a HELL of a lever to pull on.

https://www.graphviz.org/

I have written my own program to generate trees (according
to my own priorities and preferences) but all it does it output
relationship between people. Graphviz does the actual layout.

My program is only 800 lines of perl, and covers a wide range of styles
(although not the one requested...)

  BugBear

Re: Classic ALL Relatives chart with portrait

Hi Elaine,
We are a dedicated Linux household and therefore i had no choice but to learn to use Gramps .

Well, that's not a bad choice for genealogy, but sometimes it's too restrictive. I work on Windows for a living, and I also use Windows for games.

i will do what you suggest and install Gramps on the Windows machine  and see if it makes any difference

I did that myself this morning, and it looks like it works, with a 30 day free trial of Family Historian.

I did this as described, meaning that on Linux, I created a backup with media, and moved that to my Dropbox folder.

Then, on my laptop, in Windows, I installed Gramps 5, created a new tree, and imported the backup into that. It gave me a message about some long media path, which I ignored for the moment. I then exported the whole tree to GEDCOM, and checked some FILE lines, like:

4 FILE c:\users\ennob\borg_2018-12-19.gpkg.media\aktes/Spenge p 30.jpg

In this line, you can see that Gramps created a folder named after the backup file, where it put all media, with their own paths, which in my example are all relative (no /home/...) and which still contain forward slashes.

I then downloaded and installed a trial version of Family Historian, imported the GEDCOM into a new project, and checked the media view, seeing that all of my media were there. I didn't try any chart, but assume that they work too.

Cheers,

Enno

P.S. Family Tree Builder, by My Heritage, can create some nice charts too, for free.