Clipboard gramplet?

adrian.davey
After quite a few years, and many tens of thousands of individuals
incorporated into my database, I like to think I am slowly getting the
hang of gramps.

I am always discovering new ways of improving my workflow. But sometimes
I remain quite mystified as to how well or how poorly some prospective
tools might help me achieve what I am seeking to do.

This may be a quirk of GrampsAIO32-4.2.3-1, but I am puzzled that I seem
not to be able to configure the column order of an item copied into the
clipboard, and visible [e.g. in the bottombar] in the Clipboard gramplet?

For example, if I am working in Relationships or Families view[using the
Clipboard to copy events like a census to various different family
members], what the Clipboard gramplet shows me is Type, Title, Value,
Family tree, in that column order, where, the "Type" is always the
unchanging string "Event Ref", the "Title" is the event ID [given as
E#####], the "Value" is the event type, e.g. "Census" or "Residence"
etc, and the "Family tree" [unsurprisingly, but in this context not at
all usefully] is the name of the current database.

But since it would be extremely useful when pasting the event into a
person's edit dialog to know the date of the event [so it can be dopped
into the correct position in the sequence of events for that person], I
would rather prefer to omit displaying the completely useless "Type" and
"Family tree" fields, and instead display the content of the event date.
It would often be useful also to display the contents of the event
"Description".

If I right-click the mouse while over an event displayed in the
Clipboard all I see is a completely blank dialog about 9mm wide, and
about 40mm tall. This appears to be completely inconsistent with the
limited advice I am given at
https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=ClipboardGramplet about
several things I am supposed to be able to do on right-click. And
double-clicking on a selection is supposed to bring up the object
editor, but nothing happens.

Is or was this a bug? Should I file a bug report? Is there another way
to configure the display in this gramplet?

Am I barking up the wrong tree here? Any suggestions about how to
maximise the usefulness of the Clipboard gramplet in efficient workflow
would be much appreciated.

Adrian

Re: Clipboard gramplet?

Dave Scheipers
Hi Adrian

Not being able to reorganize the columns in the the Clipboard gramplet
nor the free floating Clipboard is not a Bug. They are working as they
were written. To have this functionality added, you would need to
submit a feature request. I too often want to reconfigure the columns,
'Value" is the column with the info I want. But since the clipboard
allows for the quick storage of active items, I just shrink the
columns I don't want to 0 width which brings the Value column to the
forefront. It just doesn't remember this between sessions. I never
asked for the functionality because the tool is usable as is.

There is a bug which has been fixed for 5.0 that once again allows
text values to sit on the clipboard and be copied into text fields.

Dave

On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 8:52 PM, Adrian Davey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> After quite a few years, and many tens of thousands of individuals
> incorporated into my database, I like to think I am slowly getting the hang
> of gramps.
>
> I am always discovering new ways of improving my workflow. But sometimes I
> remain quite mystified as to how well or how poorly some prospective tools
> might help me achieve what I am seeking to do.
>
> This may be a quirk of GrampsAIO32-4.2.3-1, but I am puzzled that I seem not
> to be able to configure the column order of an item copied into the
> clipboard, and visible [e.g. in the bottombar] in the Clipboard gramplet?
>
> For example, if I am working in Relationships or Families view[using the
> Clipboard to copy events like a census to various different family members],
> what the Clipboard gramplet shows me is Type, Title, Value, Family tree, in
> that column order, where, the "Type" is always the unchanging string "Event
> Ref", the "Title" is the event ID [given as E#####], the "Value" is the
> event type, e.g. "Census" or "Residence" etc, and the "Family tree"
> [unsurprisingly, but in this context not at all usefully] is the name of the
> current database.
>
> But since it would be extremely useful when pasting the event into a
> person's edit dialog to know the date of the event [so it can be dopped into
> the correct position in the sequence of events for that person], I would
> rather prefer to omit displaying the completely useless "Type" and "Family
> tree" fields, and instead display the content of the event date. It would
> often be useful also to display the contents of the event "Description".
>
> If I right-click the mouse while over an event displayed in the Clipboard
> all I see is a completely blank dialog about 9mm wide, and about 40mm tall.
> This appears to be completely inconsistent with the limited advice I am
> given at https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=ClipboardGramplet
> about several things I am supposed to be able to do on right-click. And
> double-clicking on a selection is supposed to bring up the object editor,
> but nothing happens.
>
> Is or was this a bug? Should I file a bug report? Is there another way to
> configure the display in this gramplet?
>
> Am I barking up the wrong tree here? Any suggestions about how to maximise
> the usefulness of the Clipboard gramplet in efficient workflow would be much
> appreciated.
>
> Adrian

Re: Clipboard gramplet?

Brad Rogers
On Fri, 13 Oct 2017 08:58:39 -0400
Dave Scheipers <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Dave,

>There is a bug which has been fixed for 5.0 that once again allows
>text values to sit on the clipboard and be copied into text fields.

A shame that it hasn't been (can't be?) back-ported to v4.2.x

Still, it's good to know that it's going to work again in the future.

--
 Regards  _
We don't need no-one to tell us what's right or wrong

Re: Clipboard gramplet?

Nick Hall
On 13/10/17 15:46, Brad Rogers wrote:
> A shame that it hasn't been (can't be?) back-ported to v4.2.x

I have just back-ported the fix into the gramps42 branch.

Re: Clipboard gramplet?

Brad Rogers
On Sat, 14 Oct 2017 01:43:31 +0100
Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Nick,

>I have just back-ported the fix into the gramps42 branch.

Wow, that's great news.  Thanks Nick.

--
 Regards  _
Never give in until they crack