Collections Clipboard Gramplet

Gary Bussiere
A few things about using the Collections Clipboard.

1. What does the "Make Item active" supposed to do? When I select an
item in the list, say a citation, and select "Make the citation active"
that doesn't seem to do anything. (This is also present using the
regular clipboard.)

The user manual says "Make Item active - will make the first selected
item active in the item view".

Maybe I'm confused about what is supposed to happen. Maybe I don't have
enough items from different trees, so it's not doing anything yet.

2. Deleting items from the list doesn't persistent between sessions
using the Delete key. Feature?

I can see why that would be good for any other sessions and you wanted
to keep the items around but not for that session. But I want it gone
for good. Have no more need of it. (like a citation or a part of text).
A few other things but I'll leave those for another day.

Gary

Re: Collections Clipboard Gramplet

prculley
Make an item active, should cause that item to be selected in the view where such items can be seen.  This should work even if that view is not showing at the moment.  So if you are looking at Citations view, and select a Citation in the clipboard, and right click to make it active, that citation should get selected.

You did not mention your Gramps version; I seem to remember a few bugs around Clipboard Gramplet and deletion/persistence.  You may want to describe a sequence that demonstrates this in greater detail, possibly on the Gramps bug tracker.

Paul C.

On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 2:23 PM Gary B <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Dave Scheipers
I learned something new!!!

And an idea popped into my head...

Load the Collections Clipboard in the Side Bar, and drag items or
people you are working on/with and this Make Active or "Jump To"
function can act as an extension of Bookmarks and Go

On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 6:26 PM Paul Culley <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Make an item active, should cause that item to be selected in the view where such items can be seen.  This should work even if that view is not showing at the moment.  So if you are looking at Citations view, and select a Citation in the clipboard, and right click to make it active, that citation should get selected.
>
> You did not mention your Gramps version; I seem to remember a few bugs around Clipboard Gramplet and deletion/persistence.  You may want to describe a sequence that demonstrates this in greater detail, possibly on the Gramps bug tracker.
>
> Paul C.
>
> On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 2:23 PM Gary B <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> A few things about using the Collections Clipboard.
>>
>> 1. What does the "Make Item active" supposed to do? When I select an
>> item in the list, say a citation, and select "Make the citation active"
>> that doesn't seem to do anything. (This is also present using the
>> regular clipboard.)
>>
>> The user manual says "Make Item active - will make the first selected
>> item active in the item view".
>>
>> Maybe I'm confused about what is supposed to happen. Maybe I don't have
>> enough items from different trees, so it's not doing anything yet.
>>
>> 2. Deleting items from the list doesn't persistent between sessions
>> using the Delete key. Feature?
>>
>> I can see why that would be good for any other sessions and you wanted
>> to keep the items around but not for that session. But I want it gone
>> for good. Have no more need of it. (like a citation or a part of text).
>> A few other things but I'll leave those for another day.
>>
>> Gary

Re: Collections Clipboard Gramplet

Gary Bussiere
Thanks. Have to remember that the gramplets work different according to
the View your on. So I was using the People view and selecting say a
citation, so it selects the citation on the Citation view but does
nothing for the People view...makes sense now.

As to the second question, I'm still not sure if it's a bug or not. It
deletes the item during that session but comes back after a shutdown and
restart.

The only way I can keep only the ones I want, is to move them to the
Regular clipboard, then remove the gramplet. Adding the gramplet back,
starts with a cleared list.

I then can move the ones from the Regular clipboard to the Collections
clipboard (items I want to keep around) and they show up during
shutdowns and restarts. Using version 5.0.1

So the delete key will delete the items but only for the current
session. Not sure if that was the intention or not.

Gary

On 4/12/19 6:26 PM, Paul Culley wrote:

> Make an item active, should cause that item to be selected in the view
> where such items can be seen.  This should work even if that view is not
> showing at the moment.  So if you are looking at Citations view, and
> select a Citation in the clipboard, and right click to make it active,
> that citation should get selected.
>
> You did not mention your Gramps version; I seem to remember a few bugs
> around Clipboard Gramplet and deletion/persistence.  You may want to
> describe a sequence that demonstrates this in greater detail, possibly
> on the Gramps bug tracker.
>
> Paul C.

Re: Collections Clipboard Gramplet

GRAMPS - User mailing list
It does sound like a bug.  (More than likely, if you add something to the Collection Cipboard gramplet after the delete, the Delete will be remembered across sessions.)

Can you create a new Tree, import to the Example.gramps sample data file and see if deletes are restored after restarts?

If so, please file a bug report.  Since the issue might be related to the OS you're running or the library file versions, please note those. And make sure you have been using the most current version of everything.

-Brian

On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 20:16, Gary B