Column widths in the event tab

Nick Hall-6
After the change that adds an "Age" column to the event tabs in the
editors, I have had problems with narrow column widths.

I have reset them to more usable sizes.

Perhaps it is because I am using a small screen?

Re: Column widths in the event tab

DS Blank
On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 6:47 PM, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
> After the change that adds an "Age" column to the event tabs in the
> editors, I have had problems with narrow column widths.
>
> I have reset them to more usable sizes.
>
> Perhaps it is because I am using a small screen?

Perhaps... thanks for adjusting. Please let us know if you see
anything else that is weird.

-Doug

On 02/06/12 00:15, Doug Blank wrote:
> Perhaps... thanks for adjusting. Please let us know if you see
> anything else that is weird.
The only other problem I found was the expand property on the listview
doesn't work well with stored column sizes.  It is too easy to make
unwanted changes.  I have remove this property from the listview, and
also from the editor to maintain consistency with the rest of Gramps.

I think that the additional column in the Event bottombar gramplet is
very useful.

On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 8:51 AM, Nick Hall <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 02/06/12 00:15, Doug Blank wrote:
>>
>> Perhaps... thanks for adjusting. Please let us know if you see
>> anything else that is weird.
>
> The only other problem I found was the expand property on the listview
> doesn't work well with stored column sizes.  It is too easy to make unwanted
> changes.  I have remove this property from the listview, and also from the
> editor to maintain consistency with the rest of Gramps.

Can you expand on that? What are we trading off with these two alternatives?

> I think that the additional column in the Event bottombar gramplet is very
> useful.

Yes me too! You should thank MathieuMD for that.

-Doug

On 04/06/12 15:19, Doug Blank wrote:
> Can you expand on that? What are we trading off with these two alternatives?

The problem is with setting the expand property on all the columns.  It
looks wrong and is probably not what we want.

At the moment we effectively expand the last column, which is also not
ideal.

We should pick one (or possibly two) columns only to expand.  Look at
other applications for UI guidance here.  In most views the column
widths have good defaults and there is a single column which is an
obvious candidate to be expandable.

Did you have a reason for expanding all columns?

Re: Column widths in the event tab

Mathieu MD
On 05/06/2012 01:09, Nick Hall wrote:
> The problem is with setting the expand property on all the columns.  It
> looks wrong and is probably not what we want.

Well, it does not look that wrong on my setup, which is why I submitted it.

Anyway, it's far better than having the last column expanded way after
the right limit of the window and not being able to resize it (which was
the case on my setup).

> At the moment we effectively expand the last column, which is also not
> ideal.

I agree.

> We should pick one (or possibly two) columns only to expand.  Look at
> other applications for UI guidance here.  In most views the column
> widths have good defaults and there is a single column which is an
> obvious candidate to be expandable.

Having only a single (or two) columns expanded would lead to the same
problem (ie. an oversized column). Wouldn't it better to pick the fixed
columns, and left the expand attributes to others. As fixed columns, I
see: ID, Gender and Last Changed, at least, and maybe Birth Date and
Death Date also.

Bests
--
Mathieu

Re: Column widths in the event tab

robhealey1
Greetings:

I understand the idea of needing to protect size requirements...

The feel remains that if you are going to add columns or features to a display that you need to provide a decent size for that column also!

There is also the fact of having too much within a display also...  I think that a display such as it is should not be there!  I do agree with it being on the Relationship View page though where there is a lot of display room available...

I do not think that it needs to be a huge and big statement, but it could be a clicked down arrow with the display showing the age and then disappearing after a few seconds or clicked again to make it disappear!

Sincerely yours,
Rob G. Healey

On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 11:51 PM, Mathieu MD <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 05/06/2012 01:09, Nick Hall wrote:
> The problem is with setting the expand property on all the columns.  It
> looks wrong and is probably not what we want.

Well, it does not look that wrong on my setup, which is why I submitted it.

Anyway, it's far better than having the last column expanded way after
the right limit of the window and not being able to resize it (which was
the case on my setup).

> At the moment we effectively expand the last column, which is also not
> ideal.

I agree.

On 05/06/12 07:51, Mathieu MD wrote:
> Well, it does not look that wrong on my setup, which is why I
> submitted it.

We need to consider everyone's setup.

> Anyway, it's far better than having the last column expanded way after
> the right limit of the window and not being able to resize it (which
> was the case on my setup).

There seems to be at least one bug here that needs fixing.

1. All view columns should be resizable.  If they are not then this is a
bug.  I can't reproduce this problem.
2. If you increase the width of a view then the last column will be
allocated more space.  At the moment, this is interpreted as increasing
the width of the last column.  Whilst not actually a bug as such, I do
see why the behaviour could be inconvenient.

Perhaps we should fix the existing bugs first?

> Having only a single (or two) columns expanded would lead to the same
> problem (ie. an oversized column). Wouldn't it better to pick the
> fixed columns, and left the expand attributes to others. As fixed
> columns, I see: ID, Gender and Last Changed, at least, and maybe Birth
> Date and Death Date also.

Adding the expand property to more columns just leads to more oversized
columns.  After making the window wider, I found myself having to
correct the size of more than one column (which I had previously set to
convenient sizes).