Combining exported Gedcom files

Peter Merchant
Hi, I signed up for a month with Genes United because I have a hint from another family person that this is where he got some information that I want verified. I exported from gramps a gedcom from my remotest ancestor on my fathers side, and imported this into GU. So far so good.

Now I exported a gedcom from my Mothers side and imported this into GU. It didn't create another tree or combine the two gedcoms into one tree. It deleted the first and left me with the second.

Question: Is there any way of combining two gedcoms easily into one. I presume that I could use a text editor and trim the prefix and suffix from file 'b' and then paste it into file 'a', but the likelihood of error is probably 100%.

Any thoughts?

Peter M

PS the other alternative is to work on GU for two weeks on one tree, then use my other two weeks on the other.

PM

Re: Combining exported Gedcom files

GRAMPS - User mailing list
Peter,

It is unclear if the 2 gedcoms resided in the same Gramps tree before exporting.

If so, it would seem straight-forward to employ the Filter used for each of the original exports, apply a New tag (called the GU tag) to the results of each filter.

Then export a gedcom filtered on the GU tag.

-Brian

On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 11:18, Peter Merchant
[...]

On 26/09/2019 17:50, PeterMerchant wrote:

Hmm, In each case I selected the oldest person, then File--> export--> gedcom, and let the defaults be to generate the gedcom.  No manually applied filters were used.

P.

On 26/09/2019 17:32, [hidden email] wrote:
[...]

You didn't answer whether both gedcoms are generated from the same Gramps tree? For earlier postings, it seems likely.

And Gramps tend to remember the selected settings. So reporting using the 'Default' does not clarify anything.

My ASSUMPTION is that you made the person of interest active & then exported using:
    Person filter: Descendants of _____

But the "Privacy" & "Living" filters setting are important too.

That won't get you the for descendants of 2 persons (call them Tom & Frank) from 2 different branches of your ancestry.

So you'll have to make a new Custom Filter.

Start by noting the ID of both the Tom & Frank ancestors.

In the Person category view, open the Filter Gramplet in the Sidebar split pane.

Click the Edit button for the None CustomFilter
  The "Define Filter" window opens
  Name the filter TomFrank
  Add 2 rules, 1 for each  for each ancestor:
     "Descendant filter" "Descendants of <person>" set the ID (use Tom's ID in the 1st & Frank's in the 2nd), select the "Include selected Gramps ID" checkbox for each rule

Before saving the filter, choose the "At least one rule must apply" option

Export the gedcom with "TomFrank" as the Person filter.

-Brian

On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 11:53, Peter Merchant
[...]

Where do the GEDCOM files come from?

On 26/09/2019 19:07, [hidden email] wrote:
Peter,

You didn't answer whether both gedcoms are generated from the same Gramps tree? For earlier postings, it seems likely.

Yes, both gedcoms were exported from the same database.

P.

Re: Combining exported Gedcom files

Ron Johnson
On 9/26/19 4:04 PM, Peter Merchant wrote:
On 26/09/2019 19:07, [hidden email] wrote:
Peter,

You didn't answer whether both gedcoms are generated from the same Gramps tree? For earlier postings, it seems likely.

Yes, both gedcoms were exported from the same database.

Make a filter which combines both sets of data, and then export *that*.