Comma

Buzz Hetzer
After I uploaded my gedcom file from my Family Tree program everything looked fine except that person # 00001 was just a comma (,) Now I wanted to add my new daughter-in-law and her name gets listed as ,Doe, Jane Jean. Why is that comma there and how do I get her listed as just Doe, Jane Jean?

Buzz Hetzer

Re: Comma

Dave Scheipers
Welcome Michael

The name is displayed using the format that you set from the menu...
>> Edit >> Preferences >> Display tab.

There are several preset options you can select or you are free to modify the format to suit your needs.

The name format you select will also be the name sort order in lists, etc.  Reports have the option to alter how names are seen in reports.  So a Surname, Given name in the display but you can change to Given Surname in reports.

Altering the display name does not affect the raw data so play around with it to see which best suits your needs.

As to your person 00001. If there was just the comma, then all of the name fields are blank or actually have a space " " in the given name field.

I hope this helped, Dave