Commandline operation needs DISPLAY set

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Commandline operation needs DISPLAY set

Kees Bakker
Hi,

When I try the following command I get an error because DISPLAY is
not set
  DISPLAY= gramps -O bakker.grdb -a tool -p name=verify

Now before you say: "don't do that then", I would like to know if
it is feasible to make gramps a true commandline application for
certain tools (such as verify). Or is it simply too much work?

True commandline operation has advantages, for example when doing
some remote work.

Just doing an import of certain modules is enough to make gramps
crash without a DISPLAY. That doesn't sound right to me.
--
Kees

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share your
opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys-and earn cash
http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV
_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Commandline operation needs DISPLAY set

Alex Roitman
Kees,

On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 19:52 +0100, Kees Bakker wrote:
> When I try the following command I get an error because DISPLAY is
> not set
>   DISPLAY= gramps -O bakker.grdb -a tool -p name=verify
>
> Now before you say: "don't do that then",

Too late, I've already said that :-)

>  I would like to know if
> it is feasible to make gramps a true commandline application for
> certain tools (such as verify). Or is it simply too much work?

It is possible and yes, it is too much work that nobody is
willing to do. You can get away with the "headless" X server
that has DISPLAY pointing to nowhere, as a workaround.

> True commandline operation has advantages, for example when doing
> some remote work.

Yes.

> Just doing an import of certain modules is enough to make gramps
> crash without a DISPLAY.

it's "import gtk", GRAMPS being a gtk application.

>  That doesn't sound right to me.

Well, would you like to rework all the code in gramps to do that?

It's a lot of code, and only a handful of people will enjoy the
new functionality. Those that will enjoy it are most likely capable
of setting up a headless X server.

On the other hand, the breakage possibilities are endless,
just because of the code size involved.

Alex

--
Alexander Roitman   http://www.gramps-project.org

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share your
opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys-and earn cash
http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV
_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment