Comments about the Gramps 2.2.4 event handling

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Comments about the Gramps 2.2.4 event handling

Eero Tamminen-3
Hi,

I have a few comments about the event handling in Gramps 2.2.4:
- When adding an event, it's not possible to add event references
  to participants/witnesses from the event or event reference dialogs,
  I need to go those persons to do that.  The event reference list
  could have '+' and '-' buttons like rest of the reference dialogs
- in the reference list it's not shown in which role the person is,
  it would be nice to have a column for this
- Godfather/godmother are common roles, maybe they could be added
  to the event role list?
- Family events (marriage etc) could be listed also in the person event
  list, it's strange not to see them.  Same goes for the www-site report.
  Although the marriage is listed in the family section, for the person's
  timeline it would be nice if the family related events would be listed
  with the other events
  - In www-site report the events could be shown only if person is
    in the primary/celebrant role (not sure whether this is already done?)
    - Maybe the other participants and their roles in the event could
      be also listed under these events optionally?


        - Eero

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share your
opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys - and earn cash
http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV
_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Comments about the Gramps 2.2.4 event handling

bm-7
Quoting Eero Tamminen <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
[snip]
> - Family events (marriage etc) could be listed also in the person event
>  list, it's strange not to see them.  Same goes for the www-site report.
>  Although the marriage is listed in the family section, for the person's
>  timeline it would be nice if the family related events would be listed
>  with the other events
>  - In www-site report the events could be shown only if person is
>    in the primary/celebrant role (not sure whether this is already done?)
>    - Maybe the other participants and their roles in the event could
>      be also listed under these events optionally?

This is very valid, and also something I struggle with. Family and
person should
somehow be better integrated. You have to use the Relationships view for
everything now. If you are editing a person, and want to go to his family, you
cannot click on family view, as the family of the person is not highlighted,
you need to go to relationships, and open the family there, but therefore,
quite some scrolling is needed, as people used to have many siblings.

I know there are already many tabs on the person editor, but a tab families
would be nice: it would list the families the person is part of, and you would
know by looking at a person he is part of a family. The family editor could be
opened from there, and you can add the person to a family with the common +
button, ... I do not understand why I need to go to the relationships view and
click on the toolbar on Add Spouse, to make this happen. PS: I find Add Spouse
a strange name for this button, you go to the family editor, so why not Add
Family or New Family?
If you want to go to the family events, you can then open the families
and look
there, without the need to leave the person editor.

There is also something to be said about showing the family events in
the events
of the person, however it would make the distinction for users between
personal
event and family event (even more) difficult. Perhaps if shown in another
color, and write-protected it makes sense...

Benny

----------------------------------------------------------------
This message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging Program.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share your
opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys - and earn cash
http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV
_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Comments about the Gramps 2.2.4 event handling

Martin Hawlisch
Hi Benny,

Von: [hidden email]
Betreff: Re: [Gramps-devel] Comments about the Gramps 2.2.4 event handling

>
> This is very valid, and also something I struggle with. Family and
> person should
> somehow be better integrated. You have to use the Relationships view for
> everything now. If you are editing a person, and want to go to his family,
> you
> cannot click on family view, as the family of the person is not
> highlighted,
> you need to go to relationships, and open the family there, but therefore,
> quite some scrolling is needed, as people used to have many siblings.
>
> I know there are already many tabs on the person editor, but a tab
> families
> would be nice: it would list the families the person is part of, and you
> would
> know by looking at a person he is part of a family. The family editor
> could be
> opened from there, and you can add the person to a family with the common
> +
> button, ... I do not understand why I need to go to the relationships view
> and
> click on the toolbar on Add Spouse, to make this happen. PS: I find Add
> Spouse
> a strange name for this button, you go to the family editor, so why not
> Add
> Family or New Family?
> If you want to go to the family events, you can then open the families
> and look
> there, without the need to leave the person editor.

I already started a patch for that in edit person. Like in the editors for other primary objects I add a new tab "References" that lists the families the person is member of, and other people that have an association to the person.

I can clean that up and commit later the day.

Cheers, Martin.

--
Der GMX SmartSurfer hilft bis zu 70% Ihrer Onlinekosten zu sparen!
Ideal für Modem und ISDN: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/smartsurfer

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share your
opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys - and earn cash
http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV
_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Comments about the Gramps 2.2.4 event handling

Piotr Czubaszek-2
In reply to this post by Eero Tamminen-3
Eero,


- When adding an event, it's not possible to add event references
to participants/witnesses from the event or event reference dialogs,
  I need to go those persons to do that.  The event reference list
  could have '+' and '-' buttons like rest of the reference dialogs
- in the reference list it's not shown in which role the person is,
  it would be nice to have a column for this

I agree on those. 

- Godfather/godmother are common roles, maybe they could be added
  to the event role list?

 In my opinion this is totally true. I have suggested it before.

  - In www-site report the events could be shown only if person is
    in the primary/celebrant role (not sure whether this is already done?)
    - Maybe the other participants and their roles in the event could
      be also listed under these events optionally?

This is already done, but I think it would be useful if other roles were also pointed - not on their respective owners' page but as participants of the main role person event.

Piotrek



-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share your
opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys - and earn cash
http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV
_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Comments about the Gramps 2.2.4 event handling

Eero Tamminen-3
In reply to this post by Eero Tamminen-3
Hi,

On Monday 01 January 2007 23:46, Eero Tamminen wrote:

> I have a few comments about the event handling in Gramps 2.2.4:
> - When adding an event, it's not possible to add event references
>   to participants/witnesses from the event or event reference dialogs,
>   I need to go those persons to do that.  The event reference list
>   could have '+' and '-' buttons like rest of the reference dialogs
> - in the reference list it's not shown in which role the person is,
>   it would be nice to have a column for this
> - Godfather/godmother are common roles, maybe they could be added
>   to the event role list?
> - Family events (marriage etc) could be listed also in the person event
>   list, it's strange not to see them.  Same goes for the www-site report.
>   Although the marriage is listed in the family section, for the person's
>   timeline it would be nice if the family related events would be listed
>   with the other events
>   - In www-site report the events could be shown only if person is
>     in the primary/celebrant role (not sure whether this is already
>     done?)
>  - Maybe the other participants and their roles in the event could
>    be also listed under these events optionally?

Has anybody had time to look into these?
Comments?


        - Eero

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Using Tomcat but need to do more? Need to support web services, security?
Get stuff done quickly with pre-integrated technology to make your job easier.
Download IBM WebSphere Application Server v.1.0.1 based on Apache Geronimo
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=120709&bid=263057&dat=121642
_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Comments about the Gramps 2.2.4 event handling

Piotr Czubaszek-2
On 2/6/07, Eero Tamminen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Monday 01 January 2007 23:46, Eero Tamminen wrote:
> > I have a few comments about the event handling in Gramps 2.2.4:
> > - When adding an event, it's not possible to add event references
> > to participants/witnesses from the event or event reference dialogs,
> >   I need to go those persons to do that.  The event reference list
> >   could have '+' and '-' buttons like rest of the reference dialogs
> > - in the reference list it's not shown in which role the person is,
> >   it would be nice to have a column for this
> > - Godfather/godmother are common roles, maybe they could be added
> >   to the event role list?
> > - Family events (marriage etc) could be listed also in the person event
> >   list, it's strange not to see them.  Same goes for the www-site report.
> >   Although the marriage is listed in the family section, for the person's
> >   timeline it would be nice if the family related events would be listed
> >   with the other events
> >   - In www-site report the events could be shown only if person is
> >     in the primary/celebrant role (not sure whether this is already
> >     done?)
> >  - Maybe the other participants and their roles in the event could
> >    be also listed under these events optionally?

These have been discussed before, but it could be reiterated so
thye're taken into consideration in developing the new 2.3 branch.

I would appreciate it if it were made easier to add participants of
other roles to an event. Now you have to go through too many windows
and unless you drag an event from a different window, you need to know
event's id and what's worse data in the event selection window is non
sortable.

My proposal for the website report is that in addition to the solely
main role events being printed, other participants' names are printed
next to event information of the main person.

Family events and gallery items are already being printed on each
person's page in the website report.

I also totally agree that godparents are such popular roles that they
should be added to the default list so that they may be translated in
all languages.

Piotrek

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Using Tomcat but need to do more? Need to support web services, security?
Get stuff done quickly with pre-integrated technology to make your job easier.
Download IBM WebSphere Application Server v.1.0.1 based on Apache Geronimo
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=120709&bid=263057&dat=121642
_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Comments about the Gramps 2.2.4 event handling

Alex Roitman
In reply to this post by Eero Tamminen-3
Eero,

On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 21:16 +0200, Eero Tamminen wrote:
[snip]
> Has anybody had time to look into these?
> Comments?

I have all your emails in my INBOX, and keep meaning
to respond when I have a chance to carefully look into
all the questions you raised.

It's a lot, and I'm fairly busy, so I am following the principle
of the least noise: unless I don't have a meaningful opinion
I keep my mouth shut :-)

Sorry, I'll try to find time to respond in detail,
Alex

--
Alexander Roitman   http://www.gramps-project.org


-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Using Tomcat but need to do more? Need to support web services, security?
Get stuff done quickly with pre-integrated technology to make your job easier.
Download IBM WebSphere Application Server v.1.0.1 based on Apache Geronimo
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=120709&bid=263057&dat=121642
_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel

signature.asc (196 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Comments about the Gramps 2.2.4 event handling

Don Allingham
In reply to this post by Eero Tamminen-3
Would you add these to the feature requests at
http://bugs.gramps-project.org ?

Don

On Mon, 2007-01-01 at 23:46 +0200, Eero Tamminen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a few comments about the event handling in Gramps 2.2.4:
> - When adding an event, it's not possible to add event references
>   to participants/witnesses from the event or event reference dialogs,
>   I need to go those persons to do that.  The event reference list
>   could have '+' and '-' buttons like rest of the reference dialogs
> - in the reference list it's not shown in which role the person is,
>   it would be nice to have a column for this
> - Godfather/godmother are common roles, maybe they could be added
>   to the event role list?
> - Family events (marriage etc) could be listed also in the person event
>   list, it's strange not to see them.  Same goes for the www-site report.
>   Although the marriage is listed in the family section, for the person's
>   timeline it would be nice if the family related events would be listed
>   with the other events
>   - In www-site report the events could be shown only if person is
>     in the primary/celebrant role (not sure whether this is already done?)
>     - Maybe the other participants and their roles in the event could
>       be also listed under these events optionally?
>
>
> - Eero
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Take Surveys. Earn Cash. Influence the Future of IT
> Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to share your
> opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys - and earn cash
> http://www.techsay.com/default.php?page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV
> _______________________________________________
> Gramps-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Using Tomcat but need to do more? Need to support web services, security?
Get stuff done quickly with pre-integrated technology to make your job easier.
Download IBM WebSphere Application Server v.1.0.1 based on Apache Geronimo
http://sel.as-us.falkag.net/sel?cmd=lnk&kid=120709&bid=263057&dat=121642
_______________________________________________
Gramps-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/gramps-devel

signature.asc (198 bytes) Download Attachment