Compiling under Eclipse (windows)

Felipe Schnack
Hello all!

I am a software developer and I would like to contribute to GRAMPS
project, as I've been using it for some time already.

I've sucessfully downloaded PyDev module to Eclipse Ganymede, downloaded
the trunk but I am having trouble compiling it. When I try to run it
within the IDE, using gramps.py as the main module, I have the following
error: "No module named const" in line 31.

I see there's a const.py.in in the path, do I need to set up anything else?

Thanks,

Felipe

Re: Compiling under Eclipse (windows)

Stephen George
Felipe Schnack wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> I am a software developer and I would like to contribute to GRAMPS
> project, as I've been using it for some time already.
>
> I've sucessfully downloaded PyDev module to Eclipse Ganymede, downloaded
> the trunk but I am having trouble compiling it. When I try to run it
> within the IDE, using gramps.py as the main module, I have the following
> error: "No module named const" in line 31.
>
> I see there's a const.py.in in the path, do I need to set up anything else?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Felipe

On the surface it's as easy as the following snippet from:
http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Installation#Installing_from_source_code_on_Windows
"If the dependencies are in place, the development version can be tested
by getting the source (see above), making a copy of the file const.py.in
and rename it to const.py, then execute "python gramps.py" from within
the src directory."

However this will have the following deficiencies:
    1) Version number of Gramps will not be present in the application
    2) Translation files will not have been compiled. ( if checking
translations is part of your testing then this may be a major problem)

- Steve

Re: Compiling under Eclipse (windows)

Douglas S. Blank
> Hello all!
>
> I am a software developer and I would like to contribute to GRAMPS
> project, as I've been using it for some time already.
>
> I've sucessfully downloaded PyDev module to Eclipse Ganymede, downloaded
> the trunk but I am having trouble compiling it. When I try to run it
> within the IDE, using gramps.py as the main module, I have the following
> error: "No module named const" in line 31.
>
> I see there's a const.py.in in the path, do I need to set up anything
> else?

You don't need to compile anything, but you do need a copy of the const.py
file:

http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Installation#Installing_from_source_code_on_Windows

and start editing away!

-Doug

> Thanks,
>
> Felipe

Re: Compiling under Eclipse (windows)

Felipe Schnack
Thanks Stephen and Douglas! It works!!!!