Completion

Bugzilla from laurent.protois@free.fr
Hi,

What's a disappointment for me to see "completions" has disappeared from
new Gramps 2.2.2-1.

Particularly on Family Name field, i have not noticed it as i had for
places completion since 2.0.

I don't know if it's a technical choice to abandon it,
but i was so useful for me.
Database risk to loose its coherence ...

I can't understand a great soft as gramps with a lot of users
working with it, could change so far to loose good functionality
as these.

Is there really no genealogist using it, only developers ?
i can't believe it !!!

Others : Close button on "about gramps" box doesn't work.
 New event type, disappears from event list after closing Gramps.

Sincerely Sorry !

Laurent

Re: Completion

Don Allingham
On Mon, 2006-11-20 at 21:28 +0100, Laurent protois wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What's a disappointment for me to see "completions" has disappeared from
> new Gramps 2.2.2-1.
> Particularly on Family Name field, i have not noticed it as i had for
> places completion since 2.0.
>
> I don't know if it's a technical choice to abandon it,
> but i was so useful for me.

Odd. Completion for Family Name works just fine for me. With 2.2,
instead of using the hack we used in 2.0, we are using the standard GTK
completion model. Now, a menu should open below your entry field as you
type, instead of overwriting what you are typing.

This makes us more complaint with other GTK applications.

> Database risk to loose its coherence ...

This is called a "bug". Unfortunately, this does not appear to be a bug
in GRAMPS, but a bug in the Berkeley database we are built on. We are
working to try to resolve this issue, and I have already posted a
solution for the user to make this go away.

> Is there really no genealogist using it, only developers ?
> i can't believe it !!!

Part of the problem is that we get very few beta testers before we make
a major release. We do the best we can with what we have. If more users
helped us with our beta program, we would have fewer bugs.

> Others : Close button on "about gramps" box doesn't work.
>  New event type, disappears from event list after closing Gramps.

Again, these are known as "bugs" :-) Believe it or not, we really don't
intentionally introduce bugs. :-)

The "About" dialog is known, and has been fixed. It will be in 2.2.3.
Please file a bug report on the second issue at
http://bugs.gramps-project.org

Don

Re: Completion

Gerald Britton-2
One place where completion doesn't work for me is when entering
alternate names for people.  I didn't see the little menu pop up like
I do in the main person edit dialog.

On 11/20/06, Don Allingham <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-11-20 at 21:28 +0100, Laurent protois wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > What's a disappointment for me to see "completions" has disappeared from
> > new Gramps 2.2.2-1.
> > Particularly on Family Name field, i have not noticed it as i had for
> > places completion since 2.0.
> >
> > I don't know if it's a technical choice to abandon it,
> > but i was so useful for me.
>
> Odd. Completion for Family Name works just fine for me. With 2.2,
> instead of using the hack we used in 2.0, we are using the standard GTK
> completion model. Now, a menu should open below your entry field as you
> type, instead of overwriting what you are typing.
>
> This makes us more complaint with other GTK applications.
>
> > Database risk to loose its coherence ...
>
> This is called a "bug". Unfortunately, this does not appear to be a bug
> in GRAMPS, but a bug in the Berkeley database we are built on. We are
> working to try to resolve this issue, and I have already posted a
> solution for the user to make this go away.
>

> > Is there really no genealogist using it, only developers ?
> > i can't believe it !!!
>
> Part of the problem is that we get very few beta testers before we make
> a major release. We do the best we can with what we have. If more users
> helped us with our beta program, we would have fewer bugs.
>
> > Others : Close button on "about gramps" box doesn't work.
> >  New event type, disappears from event list after closing Gramps.
>
> Again, these are known as "bugs" :-) Believe it or not, we really don't
> intentionally introduce bugs. :-)
>
> The "About" dialog is known, and has been fixed. It will be in 2.2.3.
> Please file a bug report on the second issue at
> http://bugs.gramps-project.org
>
> Don

Re: Completion

Don Allingham