Configure Hierarchy Places View in Gramps 5 Beta

Configure Hierarchy Places View in Gramps 5 Beta

StoltHD
Is it somehow possible to edit the way the Name field in places display information.

As it is now, it display the actual name for the place in addition it also show ALL Alternative Names.

I would like it to either show only the actual name or be able to choose what Alternative Name displayed...

The field will get extremely long with multiple Alternative Names in addition to the actual one...

I bring this here because I can not find any settings or documentation for this anywhere on Gramps webpages... and think that it might need to be configured elsewhere, or changed by dev.

Its not neccessary to show al this names in the tree structure all the time, all of them is displayed in the "detail panel".

Jaran

Re: Configure Hierarchy Places View in Gramps 5 Beta

prculley
Gramps 5.0.0 has a very limited 'Place Format Editor' in Preferences, which might eventually be extended to do more things.  At the moment, it doesn't do anything about Alternative Names.  If you can give a detailed description on what you are looking for, perhaps we can look into a future upgrade.  For instance, do you want this to be a global setting, or something done on a per place basis?  And where do you want this to appear?

Currently, in reports, the place alternate names gets used according to the date of the Event referring to the place and language of the report.  That is if an event is for 1875 and the report is supposed to be in Russian, then the place name will be chosen from the alternative names that are valid for that date and in the Russian language as a first choice, with names without dates or languages used as a backup if the first choice is not available.

Paul C.

On Sun, Jul 8, 2018 at 3:29 PM StoltHD <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is it somehow possible to edit the way the Name field in places display information.

As it is now, it display the actual name for the place in addition it also show ALL Alternative Names.

I would like it to either show only the actual name or be able to choose what Alternative Name displayed...

The field will get extremely long with multiple Alternative Names in addition to the actual one...

I bring this here because I can not find any settings or documentation for this anywhere on Gramps webpages... and think that it might need to be configured elsewhere, or changed by dev.

Its not neccessary to show al this names in the tree structure all the time, all of them is displayed in the "detail panel".

Jaran

Re: Configure Hierarchy Places View in Gramps 5 Beta

StoltHD
Only place i need it are in the Place View, as I say, if you have multiple Alternative Names for a place, the "Name" field will be filled with both Current Name and Alternative Names only separated with a single Comma...

For me et can be either a global setting or a pr. place, where the Global will be the easiest and "best", since all the Names already is displayed in the "Detail Panel" (Gramplet),

It is only so that the tree view of places (Hierarchy) are easier to read (not filled with 3-4-15 Alternative Names for on place). The report part I  think work as it should, as far as I have tested it...

Thanks

Jaran