Consider participating in Google Summer of Code 2017

Consider participating in Google Summer of Code 2017

sindhu
Hello,

I was wondering if Gramps would participate in Google Summer of Code 2017? The timeline released by GSoC says that Feb 9th [1] is the deadline for organisations to apply. If so would anybody be wiling to mentor and serve as administrator for this program?

This also means that you can propose that wiling students work on wishlist ideas for Gramps.

Re: Consider participating in Google Summer of Code 2017

Tim Lyons
Administrator
Sindhu S wrote
This also means that you can propose that wiling students work on wishlist
ideas for Gramps.
My favourite wishlist item would be to implement the charting method used in Gene [1]. This is the most space efficient method I have seen - it has the clearest charts with the least amount of white space. Implementing it may rely on getting information from David Eppstein [2], though there is quite a lot on his website about his research on graph drawing techniques. I have tried to contact him to see whether he would share the code of his algorithms, but he has never replied - perhaps someone who has academic contacts could try to connect with him again.

More generally, implementing, or completing and cleaning up any of the visualisation techniques [3] would be good choices, as they are add-ons, so would not be as controversial as making significant changes to the core of Gramps.

regards,
Tim.

[1] https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Existing_reports#Gene The example is a descendent chart, but other charts are also part of Gene, see here:
http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/gene/UserGuide.html#trees
[2] http://www.ics.uci.edu/~eppstein/
[3] https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=GEPS_030:_New_Visualization_Techniques

Re: Consider participating in Google Summer of Code 2017

sindhu
Tim Lyons wrote
My favourite wishlist item would be to implement the charting method used in Gene [1].

More generally, implementing, or completing and cleaning up any of the visualisation techniques [3] would be good choices, as they are add-ons, so would not be as controversial as making significant changes to the core of Gramps.
I added these two to the Enhancement_proposals page [1] on the wiki. Would you be wiling to mentor [2] student(s) should Gramps be accepted to participate in GSoC 2017?

Someone had expressed similar interest in Gramps' participation in GSoC, back in 2011 [3] but the proposal wasn't accepted. Perhaps we can draft a better case this time? I am happy to help!

[1] https://gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Portal:Enhancement_Proposals
[2] https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/resources/manual#mentor_manual
[3] http://gramps.1791082.n4.nabble.com/Google-Summer-of-Code-2011-tt3336491.html