Creating a 'Who's who' directory

Martnal
I have the fortune to have arrived at a point where I can't always remember who everyone is in my tree.

I want to create a printable directory of names and a brief comment.  One possibility is to add a description in a NOTE field, such as 'Grandmother's sister'.  How would I then print something like that?

Any better ideas, getting no more technical than exporting to CSV.

Thanks, Martin.

Martin, SW London

I am using GrampsAIO64-4.2.5-1 on Windows 10.

I am researching surnames Loughborough, (London, Hull and Hartlepool), Watson, (Jarrow and Hartlepool), Ballard and Glassop (E. London), Mowbray, Pounder and Bulmer, (all Hartlepool), Leggett (Middlesborough and elsewhere).

Re: Creating a 'Who's who' directory

Dave Scheipers
hi Martin,

I suppose you could create an Attribute to attach to the Person record. Relation: Grandmother's sister.

My bigger question is why? This person would be YOUR (and your siblings') grandmother's sister. But to your children, she would be their great-grandmother's sister. And if you share your work with other relatives, what is the relationship to them? if any.

But, the attribute method does have the advantage to be able to batch delete if you do share your work with others. Setting either a note or the attribute to Private can also keep it as a resource for yourself.

There is the Kinship report.

Just my thoughts., Dave

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 11:07 AM, Martnal <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have the fortune to have arrived at a point where I can't always remember
who everyone is in my tree.

I want to create a printable directory of names and a brief comment.  One
possibility is to add a description in a NOTE field, such as 'Grandmother's
sister'.  How would I then print something like that?

Any better ideas, getting no more technical than exporting to CSV.

Thanks, Martin.

-----

Martin, SW London

I am using GRAMPS 4.2.3-1 on Windows 10.

I am researching surnames Loughborough, (London and Hartlepool), Watson, (Jarrow and Hartlepool), Ballard and Glassop (E. London), Mowbray, Pounder and Bulmer, (all Hartlepool), Leggett (Middlesborough and Prescot).

Re: Creating a 'Who's who' directory

Rich Lakey
A variation of what you are asking, I use the optional suffix field for a code to tell me what the persons relationship is. It displays in the People view so I can tell at a glance what a person relationship is. Example ", (1G3V). The one says it is my fathers paternal line. The G says it is (Great)grandparent. The 3 tells me it is the 3rd Great Grandparent. The V says I have verified this info is correct. (an x would tell me it is probably correct but I have not verified yet). Instead of a "G" I can have a "c" for cousin or "gu" or "ga" for uncle or aunt. I also have the code in the ID field. I can sort on the ID field and have all the grandparents in a family line display in sequence.
Rich

On 03/13/2017 10:07 AM, Martnal wrote:
I have the fortune to have arrived at a point where I can't always remember
who everyone is in my tree.

I want to create a printable directory of names and a brief comment.  One
possibility is to add a description in a NOTE field, such as 'Grandmother's
sister'.  How would I then print something like that?

Any better ideas, getting no more technical than exporting to CSV.

Thanks, Martin.

-----

Martin, SW London

I am using GRAMPS 4.2.3-1 on Windows 10.

I am researching surnames Loughborough, (London and Hartlepool), Watson, (Jarrow and Hartlepool), Ballard and Glassop (E. London), Mowbray, Pounder and Bulmer, (all Hartlepool), Leggett (Middlesborough and Prescot).

Have you backed up your files today?

Re: Creating a 'Who's who' directory

Dave Gilmore

Hi Martin

On 3/13/2017 8:48 AM, Dave Scheipers wrote:

There is the Kinship report.

Just my thoughts., Dave

I think Dave's idea of a kinship report is really close to what you want. It will tell you the siblings, grandparents, aunts, uncles, level of cousins and more. What it won't tell you is "my mom's mom" for a particular grandparent