Creating a marriage record is incredibly difficult

Creating a marriage record is incredibly difficult

Bret Busby
Hello.

In setting up a new family tree, it is taking about half an hour or so,
to try to set up each marriage record. It is incredibly difficult.

I had expected that, in selecting "Add an event", then, selecting the
event type of marriage, a dialogue box would be displyed, into which,
the bride and groom could be entered, by either adding a new person for
each, or, selecting from existing people, and then adding the date and
location, and any other information, such as witnesses, etc.

Instead, it is very difficult to try to implement, including
apparently having to create a marriage record for each partner, and
then, merging the two events, and then, when a marriage record is kind
of created, as much as it can be, the relationship between the two
partners is shown as "unknown".

I think that this is something that needs to be fixed, as it should be
as simple as I have suggested, and, it should be intuitive.

At present, it is simply, incredibly difficult; the kind of difficulty
that makes entering the event, simply too difficult, and, best left not
done, because it is too difficlut.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

  you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
   Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
   "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
   A Trilogy In Four Parts",
   written by Douglas Adams,
   published by Pan Books, 1992

Re: Creating a marriage record is incredibly difficult

Philip Weiss

On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 10:29 AM, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

You should be able to create a family with the two people as mother/father, then add a marriage event to the family.  When creating from the Relationship View, there are buttons in the toolbar that let you create a new family with the current person as a child or as a partner.

If my description of this doesn't make it obvious (I'm not such a great writer), I can do a quick screencast this evening to show how.

Phil.

Re: Creating a marriage record is incredibly difficult

Tom Samstag
Marriage events should be added as a family event, not an individual event. Create a new family with
the bride and groom, either through the Families or Relationships views. Then, with a family with
the appropriate spouses, you can edit the family and add an event. In the family editor, the bottom
section will have tabs, with the first being "Children" and the second being "Events". Switch to
events and create a new family event. It will be associated with the family between the spouses, so
no merging necessary. It should also, by default, show family-related event types, such as Marriage.
Also, the relationship type is edited in the family editor, so it can be updated to no longer be
"Unknown".

Hope this helps!

On 2016-03-03 10:29, Bret Busby wrote:

> Hello.
>
> In setting up a new family tree, it is taking about half an hour or so,
> to try to set up each marriage record. It is incredibly difficult.
>
> I had expected that, in selecting "Add an event", then, selecting the
> event type of marriage, a dialogue box would be displyed, into which,
> the bride and groom could be entered, by either adding a new person for
> each, or, selecting from existing people, and then adding the date and
> location, and any other information, such as witnesses, etc.
>
> Instead, it is very difficult to try to implement, including
> apparently having to create a marriage record for each partner, and
> then, merging the two events, and then, when a marriage record is kind
> of created, as much as it can be, the relationship between the two
> partners is shown as "unknown".
>
> I think that this is something that needs to be fixed, as it should be
> as simple as I have suggested, and, it should be intuitive.
>
> At present, it is simply, incredibly difficult; the kind of difficulty
> that makes entering the event, simply too difficult, and, best left not
> done, because it is too difficlut.
>
> --
> Bret Busby
> Armadale
> West Australia
>
> "So once you do know what the question actually is,
>    you'll know what the answer means."
> - Deep Thought,
>     Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
>     "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
>     A Trilogy In Four Parts",
>     written by Douglas Adams,
>     published by Pan Books, 1992

Re: Creating a marriage record is incredibly difficult

Brad Rogers
On Fri, 4 Mar 2016 02:29:09 +0800 (AWST)
Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Bret,

>apparently having to create a marriage record for each partner, and
>then, merging the two events,

No;  Create one event, a *family* event and add each partner to it.

In Relationships view, from the toolbar, select the "Add a new family
with person as parent" button, with one of the parents selected, of
course.  This opens a window where you can add the second parent either
by creating a new person, or adding an existing one (if they already
exist in your db).

Once the parents are added, in the same window, select the Events tab,
then '+' (add event).  A Marriage event window will open, and you can
do the necessary there.

Another way is to create a family in the Family view by clicking on the
big '+' sign in the toolbar and adding parents as above.

Finally a third option;  Install the Forms gramplet and use that for UK
BMD events.  The forms gramplet also handles census events for UK, USA,
France possibly other places.  The forms gramplet takes a lot of the
hard work out of creating BMD and census events.

--
 Regards  _
Looking for something I can call my own

On Thu, 3 Mar 2016, Philip Weiss wrote:

> Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2016 02:49:14
> From: Philip Weiss <[hidden email]>
> Cc: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Gramps-users] Creating a marriage record is incredibly difficult
>
> On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 10:29 AM, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello.
>>
>> In setting up a new family tree, it is taking about half an hour or so,
>> to try to set up each marriage record. It is incredibly difficult.
>>
>> I had expected that, in selecting "Add an event", then, selecting the
>> event type of marriage, a dialogue box would be displyed, into which,
>> the bride and groom could be entered, by either adding a new person for
>> each, or, selecting from existing people, and then adding the date and
>> location, and any other information, such as witnesses, etc.
>>
>> Instead, it is very difficult to try to implement, including
>> apparently having to create a marriage record for each partner, and
>> then, merging the two events, and then, when a marriage record is kind
>> of created, as much as it can be, the relationship between the two
>> partners is shown as "unknown".
>>
>> I think that this is something that needs to be fixed, as it should be
>> as simple as I have suggested, and, it should be intuitive.
>>
>> At present, it is simply, incredibly difficult; the kind of difficulty
>> that makes entering the event, simply too difficult, and, best left not
>> done, because it is too difficlut.
>>
>> --
>> Bret Busby
>> Armadale
>> West Australia
>>

> You should be able to create a family with the two people as mother/father,
> then add a marriage event to the family.  When creating from the
> Relationship View, there are buttons in the toolbar that let you create a
> new family with the current person as a child or as a partner.
>
> If my description of this doesn't make it obvious (I'm not such a great
> writer), I can do a quick screencast this evening to show how.
>
> Phil.

But, having then created a family for the couple, and, having set
the relationship between the two, as being married, and, having had to
separately create an event for  the marriage, the event has no people
in it, and I can't remember how I managed to link the people to the
event.

So, I now have a marriage with no people, but a date for the marriage,
and, I have a family of the two people, that I have set as being
married, but I do not know how to link the marriage event to the two
people.

This is what makes it so incredibly difficult.

On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 11:53 AM, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, 3 Mar 2016, Philip Weiss wrote:

> Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2016 02:49:14
> From: Philip Weiss <[hidden email]>
> Cc: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Gramps-users] Creating a marriage record is incredibly difficult
>
> On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 10:29 AM, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello.
>>
>> In setting up a new family tree, it is taking about half an hour or so,
>> to try to set up each marriage record. It is incredibly difficult.
>>
>> I had expected that, in selecting "Add an event", then, selecting the
>> event type of marriage, a dialogue box would be displyed, into which,
>> the bride and groom could be entered, by either adding a new person for
>> each, or, selecting from existing people, and then adding the date and
>> location, and any other information, such as witnesses, etc.
>>
>> Instead, it is very difficult to try to implement, including
>> apparently having to create a marriage record for each partner, and
>> then, merging the two events, and then, when a marriage record is kind
>> of created, as much as it can be, the relationship between the two
>> partners is shown as "unknown".
>>
>> I think that this is something that needs to be fixed, as it should be
>> as simple as I have suggested, and, it should be intuitive.
>>
>> At present, it is simply, incredibly difficult; the kind of difficulty
>> that makes entering the event, simply too difficult, and, best left not
>> done, because it is too difficlut.
>>
>> --
>> Bret Busby
>> Armadale
>> West Australia
>>

> You should be able to create a family with the two people as mother/father,
> then add a marriage event to the family.  When creating from the
> Relationship View, there are buttons in the toolbar that let you create a
> new family with the current person as a child or as a partner.
>
> If my description of this doesn't make it obvious (I'm not such a great
> writer), I can do a quick screencast this evening to show how.
>
> Phil.

But, having then created a family for the couple, and, having set
the relationship between the two, as being married, and, having had to
separately create an event for  the marriage, the event has no people
in it, and I can't remember how I managed to link the people to the
event.

So, I now have a marriage with no people, but a date for the marriage,
and, I have a family of the two people, that I have set as being
married, but I do not know how to link the marriage event to the two
people.

This is what makes it so incredibly difficult.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia

They are implicitly part of the marriage event by being the parents in the family.  All the Gramps reports and views will treat them as part of that event.

Phil.

Re: Creating a marriage record is incredibly difficult

Bret Busby
On Thu, 3 Mar 2016, Philip Weiss wrote:

> Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2016 03:58:46
> From: Philip Weiss <[hidden email]>
> Cc: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Gramps-users] Creating a marriage record is incredibly difficult
>
> On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 11:53 AM, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 3 Mar 2016, Philip Weiss wrote:
>>
>>> Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2016 02:49:14
>>> From: Philip Weiss <[hidden email]>
>>> Cc: "[hidden email]" <
>> [hidden email]>
>>> Subject: Re: [Gramps-users] Creating a marriage record is incredibly
>> difficult

>>> You should be able to create a family with the two people as
>> mother/father,
>>> then add a marriage event to the family.  When creating from the
>>> Relationship View, there are buttons in the toolbar that let you create a
>>> new family with the current person as a child or as a partner.
>>>
>>> If my description of this doesn't make it obvious (I'm not such a great
>>> writer), I can do a quick screencast this evening to show how.
>>>
>>> Phil.
>>>

>> But, having then created a family for the couple, and, having set
>> the relationship between the two, as being married, and, having had to
>> separately create an event for  the marriage, the event has no people
>> in it, and I can't remember how I managed to link the people to the
>> event.
>>
>> So, I now have a marriage with no people, but a date for the marriage,
>> and, I have a family of the two people, that I have set as being
>> married, but I do not know how to link the marriage event to the two
>> people.
>>
>> This is what makes it so incredibly difficult.
>>
>> --
>> Bret Busby
>> Armadale
>> West Australia
>>

> They are implicitly part of the marriage event by being the parents in the
> family.  All the Gramps reports and views will treat them as part of that
> event.
>
> Phil.

In the Events window, the event shows as not involving any people.

In the people window, and  in the family group window, the couple do not
show as being mnarried to each other, and, the date of the marriage
event is not shown in wny window other than in the Events window, where
it shows as not involving any people.

The two things; the people involved, and, the event iself, are not shown
as being linked.

On Fri, 4 Mar 2016, Bret Busby wrote:

> Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2016 04:52:38
> From: Bret Busby <[hidden email]>
> To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [Gramps-users] Creating a marriage record is incredibly difficult
>
> On Thu, 3 Mar 2016, Philip Weiss wrote:
>
>> Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2016 03:58:46
>> From: Philip Weiss <[hidden email]>
>> Cc: "[hidden email]"
>> <[hidden email]>
>> Subject: Re: [Gramps-users] Creating a marriage record is incredibly
>> difficult

>>> [hidden email]>
>>> difficult

>>> mother/father,

>>> But, having then created a family for the couple, and, having set
>>> the relationship between the two, as being married, and, having had to
>>> separately create an event for  the marriage, the event has no people
>>> in it, and I can't remember how I managed to link the people to the
>>> event.
>>>
>>> So, I now have a marriage with no people, but a date for the marriage,
>>> and, I have a family of the two people, that I have set as being
>>> married, but I do not know how to link the marriage event to the two
>>> people.
>>>
>>> This is what makes it so incredibly difficult.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Bret Busby
>>> Armadale
>>> West Australia
>>>

>> They are implicitly part of the marriage event by being the parents in the
>> family.  All the Gramps reports and views will treat them as part of that
>> event.
>>
>> Phil.
>>

> In the Events window, the event shows as not involving any people.
>
> In the people window, and  in the family group window, the couple do not show
> as being mnarried to each other, and, the date of the marriage event is not
> shown in wny window other than in the Events window, where it shows as not
> involving any people.
>
> The two things; the people involved, and, the event iself, are not shown as
> being linked.

Also, in the Families window, which shows the couples as being married,
is a "Marriage Date" field, which is blank.

So, the records appear to be not linked; between the couples that are
married, and, the marriage events.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia

  you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
   Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
   "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
   A Trilogy In Four Parts",
   written by Douglas Adams,
   published by Pan Books, 1992

Re: Creating a marriage record is incredibly difficult

On 03/03/2016 03:01 PM, Bret Busby wrote:
[snip]
In the Events window, the event shows as not involving any people.

In the people window, and  in the family group window, the couple do not show
as being mnarried to each other, and, the date of the marriage event is not
shown in wny window other than in the Events window, where it shows as not
involving any people.

The two things; the people involved, and, the event iself, are not shown as
being linked.

Also, in the Families window, which shows the couples as being married,
is a "Marriage Date" field, which is blank.

So, the records appear to be not linked; between the couples that are
married, and, the marriage events.

Please tell us again where you put the Marriage event.

Theory of Operation: since genealogy is really about blood descent, not marriage, that's how Gramps is organized.

So, in an empty tree, try this:
  1. Go into the Families view (the icon on the far left that says "Families").
  2. In the toolbar, click the large + icon.  You should now be in the New Family edit window.  Note that it says "Father" and "Mother", not "Husband" and "Wife".
  3. Click on the + icon near the word Father.  Add the new person and click OK.
  4. Ditto on the + icon near the word Mother.  Add the new person and click OK.
  5. Now you have a (genetic) family.
  6. In the middle of the New Family edit window, see how the Children tab is highlighted?  Click on that to add as many children as needed.  You can add birth children, step-children, foster, etc, etc, etc.
  7. If the parents were married to each other, then click on the Events tab, and then click the + icon (just like when you added children).  This is where you add the Marriage event (and Divorce, Engagement, Banns, etc, etc.)
  8. Lastly, click OK in the New Family edit window.

You've just created a married family, easy peasey.

--
"I compare what the data tells me.  I don't do things by votes or authority."
Lawrence Krauss

Re: Creating a marriage record is incredibly difficult

Michel Vuijlsteke
I don't understand what you're saying.

I'm doing the following:

- Go to the People list
- Create a person named John Smith
- Click on John Smith
- Go to Relationships
- Go to Edit > Add Partner... in menu

This gives you a New Family screen, with John Smith selected as Father/Partner 1

- Click on the + sign next to Mother/Partner 2 to add a wife
- Change relationship information to 'Married'
- Click on Events, add a marriage event

If you want I can screencast this.

On 3 March 2016 at 21:52, Bret Busby <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

   written by Douglas Adams,
   published by Pan Books, 1992

Re: Creating a marriage record is incredibly difficult

On 03/03/2016 03:01 PM, Bret Busby wrote:
[snip]
On Fri, 4 Mar 2016, Bret Busby wrote:
In the Events window, the event shows as not involving any people.

In the people window, and  in the family group window, the couple do not show
as being mnarried to each other, and, the date of the marriage event is not
shown in wny window other than in the Events window, where it shows as not
involving any people.

The two things; the people involved, and, the event iself, are not shown as
being linked.
Also, in the Families window, which shows the couples as being married,
is a "Marriage Date" field, which is blank.

So, the records appear to be not linked; between the couples that are

Two follow-ups:

  1. If one of the prospective parents already exists in the tree (usually as the child of another family), then right next to the Father and Mother + icons are Share icons which let you choose an existing person as a parent.
  2. Similarly, if a would-be child already exists (like when adding your parents), click on the Children share icon which is just next to the + icon that you used to add completely new children.

--
"I compare what the data tells me.  I don't do things by votes or authority."
Lawrence Krauss

Re: Creating a marriage record is incredibly difficult

Peter Hewett-2

------------------------
From: Bret Busby <[hidden email]>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2016 02:29:09 +0800 (AWST)

> In setting up a new family tree, it is taking about half an hour or so,
> to try to set up each marriage record. It is incredibly difficult.
>
> I had expected that, in selecting "Add an event", then, selecting the
> event type of marriage, a dialogue box would be displyed, into which,
> the bride and groom could be entered, by either adding a new person for
> each, or, selecting from existing people, and then adding the date and
> location, and any other information, such as witnesses, etc.
>
> Instead, it is very difficult to try to implement, including
> apparently having to create a marriage record for each partner, and
> then, merging the two events, and then, when a marriage record is kind
> of created, as much as it can be, the relationship between the two
> partners is shown as "unknown".
>
> I think that this is something that needs to be fixed, as it should be
> as simple as I have suggested, and, it should be intuitive.
> At present, it is simply, incredibly difficult; the kind of difficulty
> that makes entering the event, simply too difficult, and, best left not
> done, because it is too difficlut.

That does look like a difficult approach.

I do this sort of thing from the relationship view, because when I'm
adding a marriage, it is either for the parents of an existing person or
for the spouse of an existing person in my database. So, I select this
existing person, then click on the applicable icon. This is either "Add
a new set of parents" or "Add new family with this person as parent".
These options are also available from the edit menu.

This brings up the new family dialog, where I can enter in details of
the parents (or spouse) and the marriage event, etc. Then click OK and
the relationships are all set up.

Which I find is pretty easy, really.

HTH

Peter

Re: Creating a marriage record is incredibly difficult

David L McMurray
Bret,

Have you seen the Gramps YouTube videos Richard Suthern made. Perhaps they
might help you a little.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0oz6NZk6S4spAF2D4YYzPQ

Dave

On 3 March 2016 at 22:05, Michel Vuijlsteke <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

In the people window, and  in the family group window, the couple do not
show as being mnarried to each other, and, the date of the marriage
event is not shown in wny window other than in the Events window, where
it shows as not involving any people.

The two things; the people involved, and, the event iself, are not shown
as being linked.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia

  you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
   Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
   "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
   A Trilogy In Four Parts",
   written by Douglas Adams,
   published by Pan Books, 1992

Re: Creating a marriage record is incredibly difficult

manzi.sam
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Creating a marriage record is incredibly difficult

Stirpseeker
I agree that it's not intuitive but it does work. Part of the difficulty
is that the individual marriage entry is a lure and should be viewed as
such. However you need the individual marriage to record a marriage
following a divorce or death. This marriage may be an individual event
and might be just to be to record that it happened, leading nowhere if
there were no children. This is really very clever.

It is just confusing if you try to use it to create a new family - it
doesn't work like that.

Geoff

Re: Creating a marriage record is incredibly difficult

paul womack
Geoff Blanford wrote:
> I agree that it's not intuitive but it does work. Part of the difficulty
> is that the individual marriage entry is a lure and should be viewed as
> such. However you need the individual marriage to record a marriage
> following a divorce or death. This marriage may be an individual event
> and might be just to be to record that it happened, leading nowhere if
> there were no children. This is really very clever.
>
> It is just confusing if you try to use it to create a new family - it
> doesn't work like that.

The important case is the "other" one.

Where a man and a woman have a relationship,
and (indeed) children WITHOUT
getting married.

   BugBear

Re: Creating a marriage record is incredibly difficult

Stirpseeker
You can record that as a Civil Partnership.

I do have one that started as a Civil Partnership, produced 3 children
and then married. I haven't worked out how to handle that yet...

Wow! Sorry about the grammar in my last email.

Regards,

Geoff

On 04/03/16 10:55, paul womack wrote:

> Geoff Blanford wrote:
>> I agree that it's not intuitive but it does work. Part of the difficulty
>> is that the individual marriage entry is a lure and should be viewed as
>> such. However you need the individual marriage to record a marriage
>> following a divorce or death. This marriage may be an individual event
>> and might be just to be to record that it happened, leading nowhere if
>> there were no children. This is really very clever.
>>
>> It is just confusing if you try to use it to create a new family - it
>> doesn't work like that.
>
> The important case is the "other" one.
>
> Where a man and a woman have a relationship,
> and (indeed) children WITHOUT
> getting married.
>
>   BugBear

Re: Creating a marriage record is incredibly difficult

Brad Rogers
On Fri, 4 Mar 2016 10:44:53 +0000
Geoff Blanford <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Geoff,

>such. However you need the individual marriage to record a marriage
>following a divorce or death.

At the risk of sounding like a petulant child;  Why?  I add it as a
family event with the new partner.

--
 Regards  _
Just coz they do it in the movies, don't mean to say that it's cool