Creating timeline for research

diannereuby
I often find a timeline for the person I'm researching would be useful, especially if they travelled. I've looked at the timeline option in Gramps, but that's not really what I want - it seems to list dates for descendants or ancestors.

I want to create a working document of some kind, with info like "Born date/ emigrated to place date/ navy date/ married place date/" to help me check things when I'm researching. At the moment I'm using a mixture of Gramps, Evernote, Dropbox, Google Drive and flickr. A recipe for losing info when you need it. :(

I'm using 3.3.1 on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. I don't take my laptop with me when I research away from home, so access to read and edit via the web in some way would be good. I have my tree on my smartphone, but that's just basic GEDCOM info using Family Bee.

Do other list members use timelines? If so what do you use? If not, what do you use instead?

Thanks,
Dianne

Re: Creating timeline for research

DS Blank
On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 5:17 AM, dianne reuby <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I often find a timeline for the person I'm researching would be useful,
> especially if they travelled. I've looked at the timeline option in Gramps,
> but that's not really what I want - it seems to list dates for descendants
> or ancestors.

What "timeline option" are you referring? Do you mean the Timeline Quickview:

http://www.gramps-project.org/wiki/index.php?title=Timeline_Quickview

Perhaps we could include Notes (or a specially designated "Timeline
Notes") in that listing as well, so as to keep all of your information
in one place?

-Doug