DB Error

L.W.
hi,

-30973, 'BDB0087 DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery --
BDB1544 process-private: unable to find environment'

gramps 5.0 crashed, after some days of use perfectly, but now i got this
error.

i'm using gramps with win 10.

what do i have to do?

is all the work done?

--
Best Regards

Re: DB Error

GRAMPS - User mailing list
I'm curious, did you install the new version overtop to previous one? Or into a new folder entirely with importing the exported XML from the old version into a fresh tree?

A thread from 2016 talks about remnants causing some problems.

See
https://sourceforge.net/p/gramps/mailman/message/35526778/

 Subject: [Gramps-users] DB Error
 To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
 Date: Thursday, August 2, 2018, 11:10 AM

 hi,

 -30973, 'BDB0087 DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal
 error, run database recovery --
 BDB1544 process-private: unable to find
 environment'

 gramps 5.0 crashed, after some days of
 use perfectly, but now i got this
 error.

 i'm using gramps with win 10.

 what do i have to do?

 is all the work done?

 --
 Best Regards

Re: DB Error

enno
Op 02-08-18 om 18:26 schreef Emyoulation--- via Gramps-users:
> I'm curious, did you install the new version overtop to previous one? Or into a new folder entirely with importing the exported XML from the old version into a fresh tree?
>
> A thread from 2016 talks about remnants causing some problems.
H'm, if remnants would cause this, Gramps 5 wouldn't have worked
perfectly for a few days, or would it?

Since installing and running the proper recovery tools on Windows is not
easy, the only remedy that I think is reasonable is to delete the
database, create a new one, and import a backup in that. And since
backups are created automatically in version 5, you can't hide behind
not making them.

The only question that I'd have then is, where are they?

Cheers,

Re: DB Error

Nick Hall
On 02/08/18 17:43, Enno Borgsteede wrote:
> And since backups are created automatically in version 5, you can't
> hide behind not making them.
>
> The only question that I'd have then is, where are they?

In the "Family Tree" tab in the preferences, there are three new options:

1. Backup path - which defaults to the home directory.
2. Backup on exit - which can checked if you want a backup when you quit
Gramps.
3. Auto-backup - which can be set to:  Never, Every 15 mins, Every 30
mins or Every hour.

I suggest that users create a dedicated backup directory.

Re: DB Error

On 02/08/18 17:10, L.W. wrote:
> -30973, 'BDB0087 DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery --
> BDB1544 process-private: unable to find environment'
>
> gramps 5.0 crashed, after some days of use perfectly, but now i got
> this error.

We have never fully understood the cause of this error and the
developers are unable to reproduce it.

This is one of the reasons why we now have an option to use a Sqlite
database backend.

Re: DB Error

GRAMPS - User mailing list

Hi

Have not moved to 5.o yet on Win 10 still using 4.2 because doing the
history stuff and do not want complications. Though have installed 5.0
on Ubuntu Mate system.

Is the implication that we should install the sqlite version if on Win
10 or is the recovery simple enough when this crash happens to carry on
using BDB

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries
On 02/08/2018 20:36, Nick Hall wrote:

> On 02/08/18 17:10, L.W. wrote:
>> -30973, 'BDB0087 DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery --
>> BDB1544 process-private: unable to find environment'
>>
>> gramps 5.0 crashed, after some days of use perfectly, but now i got
>> this error.
>>
> We have never fully understood the cause of this error and the
> developers are unable to reproduce it.
>
> This is one of the reasons why we now have an option to use a Sqlite
> database backend.
>
> Nick.

Re: DB Error

enno
Hi Phil,
> Have not moved to 5.o yet on Win 10 still using 4.2 because doing the
> history stuff and do not want complications. Though have installed 5.0
> on Ubuntu Mate system.
>
> Is the implication that we should install the sqlite version if on Win
> 10 or is the recovery simple enough when this crash happens to carry
> on using BDB
It depends. I have never seen recovery work on an environment error, but
o.t.o.h., I have never seen a spontaneous mess-up of my database either.
I only got errors when I provoked them, like by opening the same
database twice.

Gramps 5.0 creates automatic backups on exit, unless you switch that
off, so you should be safe with any database.

Re: DB Error

Op 02-08-18 om 21:33 schreef Nick Hall:

> On 02/08/18 17:43, Enno Borgsteede wrote:
>> And since backups are created automatically in version 5, you can't
>> hide behind not making them.
>>
>> The only question that I'd have then is, where are they?
>
> In the "Family Tree" tab in the preferences, there are three new options:
>
> 1. Backup path - which defaults to the home directory.
> 2. Backup on exit - which can checked if you want a backup when you
> quit Gramps.
> 3. Auto-backup - which can be set to:  Never, Every 15 mins, Every 30
> mins or Every hour.
>
> I suggest that users create a dedicated backup directory.
I second that, especially on Windows, where the home directory is a
place where normal users don't tend to look for these files.

Re: DB Error

Phil,

That may be an overreaction.

The key statement was the this symptom hasn't been reproducible. It also is likely rare. (Or there would be a lot of threads about it.)

Most likely it is a dependency related issue... where the user has a conflict due to another installation that has changed a shared resource. And that changed resource apparently doesn't support a an infrequently used function. Those are notoriously hard to isolate.

Because the error message is specificly BDB related, it is an opportunity to determine if another database backend avoids such conflicts.

(It also gives the opportunity to validate Gramps design being flexible and stable enough to move to a different backend if warranted. If the they don't do this, so many idiosyncratic database calls could creep into the design that moving would become impossible. Many web hosting services provide integral MySQL support but you rarely see Berkley supported that way. And some have hardware acceleration for their supported database backends.)

I, for one, look forward to the opportunity to comparing the 2 database backends running the same data and frontend on the same hardware & OS. Perhaps filters will complete an order-of-magnitude faster?  If so, it's an opportunity to report to the BDB project. It would mean that a coding efficiency could be targeted for improvement.

Brian

 Subject: Re: [Gramps-users] DB Error
 To: "Nick Hall" <[hidden email]>, [hidden email]
 Date: Friday, August 3, 2018, 2:49 AM

 Nick Hall wrote:
 > On 02/08/18 17:10, L.W. wrote:
 >> -30973, 'BDB0087 DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery --
 >> BDB1544 process-private: unable to find environment'
 >>
 >> gramps 5.0 crashed, after some days of
 use perfectly, but now i got
 >> this error.
 >>
 > We have never fully understood the cause of this error and the
 > developers are unable to reproduce it.
 >
 > This is one of the reasons why we now have an option to use a Sqlite
 > database backend.
 >
 > Nick.

Re: DB Error

GRAMPS - User mailing list

Hi Enno and Brian

My programming was mainly ladder logic on industrial equipment where
anomalies could and did cost a lot of money so I tend to be cautious but
sounds like the backup regime should cover it
Thanks for your responses

Regards
Phil
MLFHS 12583
Dumfries

On 03/08/2018 13:37, [hidden email] wrote:

> Phil,
>
> That may be an overreaction.
>
> The key statement was the this symptom hasn't been reproducible. It also is likely rare. (Or there would be a lot of threads about it.)
>
> Most likely it is a dependency related issue... where the user has a conflict due to another installation that has changed a shared resource. And that changed resource apparently doesn't support a an infrequently used function. Those are notoriously hard to isolate.
>
> Because the error message is specificly BDB related, it is an opportunity to determine if another database backend avoids such conflicts.
>
> (It also gives the opportunity to validate Gramps design being flexible and stable enough to move to a different backend if warranted. If the they don't do this, so many idiosyncratic database calls could creep into the design that moving would become impossible. Many web hosting services provide integral MySQL support but you rarely see Berkley supported that way. And some have hardware acceleration for their supported database backends.)
>
> I, for one, look forward to the opportunity to comparing the 2 database backends running the same data and frontend on the same hardware & OS. Perhaps filters will complete an order-of-magnitude faster?  If so, it's an opportunity to report to the BDB project. It would mean that a coding efficiency could be targeted for improvement.
>
> Brian

> On Fri, 8/3/18, phil wharram via Gramps-users <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>   Subject: Re: [Gramps-users] DB Error
>   To: "Nick Hall" <[hidden email]>, [hidden email]
>   Date: Friday, August 3, 2018, 2:49 AM
>

>   Hi
>
>   Have not moved to 5.o yet on Win 10 still using 4.2 because doing the history stuff and do not want complications. Though have installed 5.0  on Ubuntu Mate system.
>
>   Is the implication that we should install the sqlite version if on Win 10 or is the recovery simple enough when this crash happens to carry on  using BDB
>
>   Regards
>   Phil
>   MLFHS 12583
>   Dumfries
>   On 02/08/2018 20:36,
>
>   Nick Hall wrote:
>   > On 02/08/18 17:10, L.W. wrote:
>   >> -30973, 'BDB0087 DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery --
>   >> BDB1544 process-private: unable to find environment'
>   >>
>   >> gramps 5.0 crashed, after some days of
>   use perfectly, but now i got
>   >> this error.
>   >>
>   > We have never fully understood the cause of this error and the
>   > developers are unable to reproduce it.
>   >
>   > This is one of the reasons why we now have an option to use a Sqlite
>   > database backend.
>   >
>   > Nick.

Re: DB Error

enno
Hi Phil,
> My programming was mainly ladder logic on industrial equipment where
> anomalies could and did cost a lot of money so I tend to be cautious
> but sounds like the backup regime should cover it
It should, but o.t.o.h. I think it's in the interest of all of us when
more users give the SQLite back-end a serious try and report their
findings. And IMO, a cautious person like you would be the ideal
candidate for this.

The SQLite back-end was added because we assume that it is more robust
than BSDDB, but apart from the 5.0 betas, there has not been a big field
test, yet, so if you're able, please help.