DBAPI in 5.0.0

Paul Franklin-5
Since Nick says he is not willing to state it publicly,
I will state that for a long time, about a year, there has
been a decision that when 5.0.0 is released only the
BSDDB database will be available to "ordinary" users.

Any DBAPI database choices will only be available to
"power users."

Re: DBAPI in 5.0.0

Nick Wallingford-3
On 16/06/17 08:40, Paul Franklin wrote:
> Since Nick says he is not willing to state it publicly,
> I will state that for a long time, about a year, there has
> been a decision that when 5.0.0 is released only the
> BSDDB database will be available to "ordinary" users.

Though I am not a developer, I hope the decision to release or not is
based on the maturity of the code involved and the potential value (and
potential downsides!) to users.  As I've heard from others, it is not so
likely that 'ordinary' users will avail themselves of different database
options.  So if it *is* initially available to only power users, I am
not sure why this is a significant issue in the scheme of the Gramps
Project overall.

Nick Wallingford
Tauranga, NZ

Re: DBAPI in 5.0.0

Not going to stop me from patching bugs in dbapi 😃.  But which branch do I do the patches in?
Until we actually disable this stuff, I intend to make them in gramps50 branch until told otherwise.

On another topic, how are we going to ensure only 'power users' use dbapi?  I propose we temporarily disable only the GUI items that allow the creation of a DBAPI db.  That is, comment out the Family Tree manager 'Convert' button, and the Preferences/Family Tree/Database backend drop-down so they don't show.  A power user can still use the config file to start a dbapi tree, and an already present dbapi tree will continue to work.

This should be minimally invasive and easy to revert.

Paul Culley

On 6/15/17, Nick Wallingford <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 16/06/17 08:40, Paul Franklin wrote:
>> Since Nick says he is not willing to state it publicly,
>> I will state that for a long time, about a year, there has
>> been a decision that when 5.0.0 is released only the
>> BSDDB database will be available to "ordinary" users.
>
> Though I am not a developer, I hope the decision to release or not is
> based on the maturity of the code involved and the potential value (and
> potential downsides!) to users.  As I've heard from others, it is not so
> likely that 'ordinary' users will avail themselves of different database
> options.  So if it *is* initially available to only power users, I am
> not sure why this is a significant issue in the scheme of the Gramps
> Project overall.
>
> Nick Wallingford
> Tauranga, NZ

It is my belief that "the decision to release or not is
based on the maturity of the code involved" -- but I do
not speak for Nick and nothing I say should be in any
respect thought of that way.

My opinions are my own.

Re: DBAPI in 5.0.0

Paul Franklin-5
On 6/15/17, Paul Culley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Not going to stop me from patching bugs in dbapi 😃.  But which branch do I
> do the patches in?
> Until we actually disable this stuff, I intend to make them in gramps50
> branch until told otherwise.

I do not speak for Nick but it is certainly my understanding
of the current status, announced a few weeks ago, that all
bugs are supposed to be fixed in gramps50 and nothing but
enhancements and feature requests and so on are supposed
to be put into master (by us non-senior developers that is).

> On another topic, how are we going to ensure only 'power users' use dbapi?
> I propose we temporarily disable only the GUI items that allow the creation
> of a DBAPI db.  That is, comment out the Family Tree manager 'Convert'
> button, and the Preferences/Family Tree/Database backend drop-down so they
> don't show.  A power user can still use the config file to start a dbapi
> tree, and an already present dbapi tree will continue to work.

That certainly seems like one possibility, although I do not
claim to be any sort of expert.  (If you feel like it, you could
look at the existing code -- and who made it, and when -- and
perhaps get a better idea of the feasibility of your suggestion,
and/or of any other possibilities.  Just a thought.)

Re: DBAPI in 5.0.0

Josip
15.6.2017. u 23:36, Paul Culley je napisao/la:
> On another topic, how are we going to ensure only 'power users' use dbapi?
> I propose we temporarily disable only the GUI items that allow the creation
> of a DBAPI db.  That is, comment out the Family Tree manager 'Convert'
> button, and the Preferences/Family Tree/Database backend drop-down so they
> don't show.  A power user can still use the config file to start a dbapi
> tree, and an already present dbapi tree will continue to work.

That is already done.
It will be hidden if running gramps in "optimized" mode like with
"python -O"
Windows alpha2-2 aio package is built as that on request to hide dbapi
from "normal" users.

--
Josip

Re: DBAPI in 5.0.0

On 15/06/17 21:40, Paul Franklin wrote:
> Since Nick says he is not willing to state it publicly,
> I will state that for a long time, about a year, there has
> been a decision that when 5.0.0 is released only the
> BSDDB database will be available to "ordinary" users.
>
> Any DBAPI database choices will only be available to
> "power users."

This is our current policy.  I didn't see any need to re-state it.