DNA and DNA kits

Doug-11
Hi,

I'm being pressured by my wife to have our DNAs determined
and I'm lost as to how to choose between the tests
available, how reliable the tests and firms offering the
service are, how informative the results might be and
whether and how they might tie in to any gramps records.

What's people's experience and what would they advise?

Doug

Re: DNA and DNA kits

Ron Johnson

Family Tree DNA has the most tools for comparing yours with other people's
DNA.  Also, it doesn't share/sell your DNA profile to other companies.

On 03/12/2017 08:26 AM, Doug wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm being pressured by my wife to have our DNAs determined
> and I'm lost as to how to choose between the tests
> available, how reliable the tests and firms offering the
> service are, how informative the results might be and
> whether and how they might tie in to any gramps records.
>
> What's people's experience and what would they advise?
>
> Doug

Re: DNA and DNA kits

Nick Hall
On 12/03/17 15:18, Ron Johnson wrote:
> Family Tree DNA has the most tools for comparing yours with other people's
> DNA.  Also, it doesn't share/sell your DNA profile to other companies.

Which genetic markers are tested?  How are the results presented?

Re: DNA and DNA kits

On 03/12/2017 11:39 AM, Nick Hall wrote:
On 12/03/17 15:18, Ron Johnson wrote:
Family Tree DNA has the most tools for comparing yours with other people's
DNA.  Also, it doesn't share/sell your DNA profile to other companies.

Which genetic markers are tested?

A lot?  :)

For Y-DNA, you can get 37, 67, 111 and "Big Y" (of which the gzipped .bam file is  660MB).

On 12/03/17 20:59, Ron Johnson wrote:
Which genetic markers are tested?

A lot?  :)

For Y-DNA, you can get 37, 67, 111 and "Big Y" (of which the gzipped .bam file is  660MB).

A good website is:

https://isogg.org/

Have a look at the comparison charts on their wiki:

https://isogg.org/wiki/Wiki_Welcome_Page

Not all DNA tests provide a raw data file of the results.

Re: DNA and DNA kits

beagle10
I had several samples tested at 23andMe.   They claim to get several million bases worth of DNA data.  I was particularly interested in Y and mtDNA data.  When I looked at the raw data, Y chromosome data had too many ambiguities in base calls; could only get haplotype calls; nothing more.  Even the haplotype had to be refined a year later after further analysis.  Their database found over 100 DNA relatives.  However, over 90% of those DNA matched relatives preferred to remain anonymous; they didn't want to give any further genealogical information.

Re: DNA and DNA kits

Bret Busby-2
On 12/03/2017, Doug <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm being pressured by my wife to have our DNAs determined
> and I'm lost as to how to choose between the tests
> available, how reliable the tests and firms offering the
> service are, how informative the results might be and
> whether and how they might tie in to any gramps records.
>
> What's people's experience and what would they advise?
>
> Doug

Hello.

My recommendation is to try the tests that are the 37 marker Y-DNA
test and the Family Finder test, at familytreedna.com , for you; for
your wife, the mt-DNA (I think that is the name for it - the
mitochondrial DNA test  (and, no, while the name of the test may sound
similar, it is not the test for Jedi Knights potential, or for the
presence of The Force) ), and the Family Finder Test, and, also, if
she has any living immediate male blood relatives (as I mention on my
web page cited below), if she could persuade one or more of them to
undergo also, a 37 marker Y-DNA test and a Family Finder Test
combination, it may be helpful with her genetic genealogy.

Have a look at their web site, and, search on your family name, to
find whether they have a name project for your family name, and,
similarly, for your wife's maiden name.

You might be interested in reading what I have published (it is
relatively brief)), about this, on the web page at
http://busbygenealogy.net/ .

I am a family name project administrator, and I am a layman, not a
genetic genealogy guru.

One thing that I emphasise, is that genetic genealogy is
probabilistic, and, not absolute; whatever result are obtained from
genetic genealogy analysis, result in probabilities of relationships,
and, not definite statements of relationships.

I hope that this is helpful.

--

Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
 Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
 "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
 A Trilogy In Four Parts",
 written by Douglas Adams,
 published by Pan Books, 1992

Re: DNA and DNA kits

Doug-11
On 14/03/17 16:26, Bret Busby wrote:

> On 12/03/2017, Doug <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm being pressured by my wife to have our DNAs determined
>> and I'm lost as to how to choose between the tests
>> available, how reliable the tests and firms offering the
>> service are, how informative the results might be and
>> whether and how they might tie in to any gramps records.
>>
>> What's people's experience and what would they advise?
>>
>> Doug
>>

> Hello.
>
> My recommendation is to try the tests that are the 37 marker Y-DNA
> test and the Family Finder test, at familytreedna.com , for you; for
> your wife, the mt-DNA (I think that is the name for it - the
> mitochondrial DNA test  (and, no, while the name of the test may sound
> similar, it is not the test for Jedi Knights potential, or for the
> presence of The Force) ), and the Family Finder Test, and, also, if
> she has any living immediate male blood relatives (as I mention on my
> web page cited below), if she could persuade one or more of them to
> undergo also, a 37 marker Y-DNA test and a Family Finder Test
> combination, it may be helpful with her genetic genealogy.
>
> Have a look at their web site, and, search on your family name, to
> find whether they have a name project for your family name, and,
> similarly, for your wife's maiden name.
>
> You might be interested in reading what I have published (it is
> relatively brief)), about this, on the web page at
> http://busbygenealogy.net/ .
>
> I am a family name project administrator, and I am a layman, not a
> genetic genealogy guru.
>
> One thing that I emphasise, is that genetic genealogy is
> probabilistic, and, not absolute; whatever result are obtained from
> genetic genealogy analysis, result in probabilities of relationships,
> and, not definite statements of relationships.
>
> I hope that this is helpful.

Thanks also for your comments, Bret

Doug